New FFA Map - Knockout

New FFA Map - Knockout

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

fc14159

New FFA Map - Knockout

Post by fc14159 »

Presenting Knockout: http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2758
The start position problem that was in the first upload has been fixed.

24x24 free-for-all map. Made for 2, 4, 8, or 16 players. The spiky water is impassable by all units.
Last edited by fc14159 on 25 Aug 2010, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: New FFA Map - Knockout

Post by KaiserJ »

this is an excellent design
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ehhh, cool idea :D
if you disallow air, you can have a whole tournament packed into one game!
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Nice to see new maps!
Very Nice design indeed...

One suggestion: Make ramps to the sea areas that are not spiked so that people can go water there or build ambhious to flank enemy once the bridge is porced and crowded... This would add depth to the map a lot...

Second: Are you sure your SSMF is working properly? For me it seems like theres no specularity. (well maybe there is, map is certainly more bright than SMF maps usually. Maybe its just that the light does not reflect on flat surfaces so well) Also, you could really take much more out of the detailtexture, currently the pattern is only visible from far distance. You could upscale it a bit and maybe contrast it more.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great innovative layout fc!
And mad props for being one of the first to use SSMF :)
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

SirArtturi wrote:Nice to see new maps!
Very Nice design indeed...

One suggestion: Make ramps to the sea areas that are not spiked so that people can go water there or build ambhious to flank enemy once the bridge is porced and crowded... This would add depth to the map a lot...

Second: Are you sure your SSMF is working properly? For me it seems like theres no specularity. (well maybe there is, map is certainly more bright than SMF maps usually. Maybe its just that the light does not reflect on flat surfaces so well) Also, you could really take much more out of the detailtexture, currently the pattern is only visible from far distance. You could upscale it a bit and maybe contrast it more.
I actually tried to make ramps, but the whole map was made with Photoshop. I wasn't pro enough and just couldn't get the results I wanted, so I settled for sea only. :(

And yes, my SSMF is working. I deliberately made it unshiny; it looked kinda ridiculous when it was really reflective because the map is all sand and old, cracked concrete. I used SSMF mostly for the detail texture splatting.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Looks pretty winsauce.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

fc14159 wrote: I actually tried to make ramps, but the whole map was made with Photoshop. I wasn't pro enough and just couldn't get the results I wanted, so I settled for sea only. :(
Well I understand it isnt easy when you are working with the diagonals, but on the other hand, you have already diagonal and round shapes on your heightmap so I think its just lack of confidence :P
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

It reminds me of the little maze toy where you have to tilt it around to get the tiny metal ball-bearing into the little hole in the center.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Lots of air play, should be interesting

The walls could be just a bit less steep though, it really stretches the texture atm.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Yeh if you disabled Air and Sea it could play out just like a tourney, would be pretty fun to try.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i had this idea! i really hope people host and play this map. upload a replay for me pls 8) http://replays.adune.nl
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

hunterw wrote:i had this idea! i really hope people host and play this map. upload a replay for me pls 8) http://replays.adune.nl
You might have to wait till next spring patch, replays are kinda fucked right now.
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

Yeah, so I kinda messed up some of the start positions, which resulted in a big boom in the beginning of a game. Gonna upload the fix soon.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Jazcash wrote:Yeh if you disabled Air and Sea it could play out just like a tourney, would be pretty fun to try.
No it woudn't, because the winner of first-round-battle-A doesn't go over and eat up the players of first-round-battle-B while their combat is still in-progress.

To get that behavior, you'd have to lua up some kind of magical barriers that keep units from entering the other competition zones until only one man stands in the zone.

And even then, you'd have the problem that the guy who won his battle more quickly and decisively would have more time to spam eco in preparation for his next duel.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Going a bit off topic, you could have a 1v1 map that 16 players joined and initially only 2 players get commanders (the rest get hidden invisible units to keep their team alive) then when one player wins the units are wiped and then next 2 players spawn etc with teams getting knocked out as they lose - one 16 player game is an instant 16 player tournament
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

The fixed start positions have been uploaded under the name Knockout_v1. I would appreciate it if the new version could go on the autohosts soon.
TheFatController wrote:Going a bit off topic, you could have a 1v1 map that 16 players joined and initially only 2 players get commanders (the rest get hidden invisible units to keep their team alive) then when one player wins the units are wiped and then next 2 players spawn etc with teams getting knocked out as they lose - one 16 player game is an instant 16 player tournament
If only I knew where I could even start to make that.
Last edited by fc14159 on 26 Aug 2010, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gouken

Post by Gouken »

this is epic, i so want to try it
knorke

Post by knorke »

the idea is good but there is one thing i do not like.
there is so few space. The pathes are decent wide but there is only one direction to go.
Even on azure rampart (http://mapinfo.adune.nl/?map=Azure%20Rampart) you can decide if you want to go clock or counterclock wise.

Also needs an excact player number to be somewhat even, something a FFA map should avoid.
ie Blindside or Throne work with any player number.
hunterw wrote:i had this idea! i really hope people host and play this map. upload a replay for me pls 8) http://replays.adune.nl
Seems someone heard you: http://replays.adune.nl/?2722
did not desync for me and the knorkebot was alreay there too!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@TheFatController

But that means all the Round 1 players are waiting for the other Round 1 players to complete.

Probably better to do something like the map here - multiple battlefields, and then use Lua code to keep everybody behaving - kill units and projectiles that leave the battle area too far, and set all players to be allies of everybody but their current adversary (so they won't auto-attack each other).

Return to “Map Releases”