Spring on Intel or ATI 'open-source' drivers

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

freelikegnu

Post by freelikegnu »

When I load up Spring RTS I see only white models and map which means there is no texture compression support in the driver. There would be hope with a software texture compression library from here.
Unfortunately this method is patent encumbered... otherwise you could:
Download and extract the latest version.
you will also need two packages (and their dependencies):

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev driconf
$ cd <folder you extracted to>
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ driconf
force texture compression and save your configuration.
you would now have pretty textures in Spring on your IGP or legacy ATI based system.
Blue_Falcon

Re: Spring on Intel or ATI 'open-source' drivers

Post by Blue_Falcon »

What is your point? Is this simply a how-to?
freelikegnu

Post by freelikegnu »

Blue_Falcon wrote:What is your point? Is this simply a how-to?
I agree.
sombriks

Post by sombriks »

so, if ti works on intel gpu's, how good spring will run on those bare-bones cards?
rem5

Post by rem5 »

Without S3TC compression activated, textures are white..ok.

But do you know where the bug come from ? spring or driver

Spring should work without S3TC, no ?
brodul

Post by brodul »

tnx, it just works. :D
MeraK

Post by MeraK »

Thanks a lot, also worked for me !
[CTX]vitaminx

Post by [CTX]vitaminx »

What GPU do you use?

on my R600 I can't force compression :/
arturaz

Post by arturaz »

Thanks!

Forcing compression through driconf for my Intel GM945 enabled textures on ground!
cmdr_sven

Post by cmdr_sven »

You sir, are a legend, thank you so much! I can now play this game without pretending to be on Hoth the whole damn time. :-)

Sven
Relative

Post by Relative »

It is a real shame that I would never ignore patent or copyright law. :)
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

UPDATE: AS OF 2010 YOU NO LONGER NEED LIBDXTN. Please read this post for up-to-date information.
rem5 wrote:Without S3TC compression activated, textures are white..ok.

But do you know where the bug come from ? spring or driver
The driver.
rem5 wrote:Spring should work without S3TC, no ?
Spring works fine, however some game (mod) authors have taken to supplying graphics in DDS (s3tc) format.

The issue is not the engine, it's the artwork in some games. More specifically the issue is America's broken patent patent system - which claims to prevent patents on algorithms but in fact allows them when described in terms of "a method or system for... some algorithm ... on a computer device or digital storage medium".

I've actually read the S3TC patent and in truth it probably only covers hardware implementations (because its claims and diagrams talk about "encoding modules" and the like as though they are physical objects.) Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to test it in court and nobody is willing to do that.
Last edited by SpliFF on 14 Oct 2010, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

SpliFF wrote:The issue is not the engine, it's the artwork in some games. More specifically the issue is America's broken patent patent system - which claims to prevent patents on algorithms but in fact allows them when described in terms of "a method or system for... some algorithm ... on a computer device or digital storage medium".
erm SMF maps use DXT too
SpliFF wrote:I've actually read the S3TC patent and in truth it probably only covers hardware implementations (because its claims and diagrams talk about "encoding modules" and the like as though they are physical objects.) Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to test it in court and nobody is willing to do that.
AFAIK the problem is the following:
The problem is that most (all?) OpenSource drivers just build on Mesa, so they do a lot on the CPU and only a few things are really hardware accelerated. In the case here it means that the decompression doesn't happen on the GPU instead Mesa decompress them on the CPU and sends them uncompressed to the GPU.
Means: If the GPU would decompress the textures, it wouldn't be any problem (your GPU vendor already paid the patent fees), but when the CPU does so, it's a new implementation and you need to pay the fees again.
Troublesome_God

Post by Troublesome_God »

Why are you using an Open Source driver in the first place? Mesa experimental drivers have almost no 3d support in video games unless you wanna play Quake. R600 is supported and Catalyst has released version 10.6 so far it works with Xorg 1.7.6 (by my own testing have a system running it right now). And by ArchLinux testing 10.6 with a custom install script works with Xorg 1.8. You should never use Mesa drivers to play video games.
del_diablo

Post by del_diablo »

Going from description, Ubuntu does by default not include the library for propitiatory texture compression.
Going from >this post on the Archlinx forums, you a libary related to libtxc_dxtn to get texture compression working.
~Cheers
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Troublesome_God wrote:Why are you using an Open Source driver in the first place? Mesa experimental drivers have almost no 3d support in video games unless you wanna play Quake. R600 is supported and Catalyst has released version 10.6 so far it works with Xorg 1.7.6 (by my own testing have a system running it right now). And by ArchLinux testing 10.6 with a custom install script works with Xorg 1.8. You should never use Mesa drivers to play video games.
10.5+ don't show any textures on units :( spring is borked with the latest ATi drivers :(
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Spring uses OpenGL. If something works on NV, but not on ATI, the changes are 99% that it is an ATI bug, not a spring bug, which magically is worked-around by NV drivers.
-> go bug ATI
echoone
AI Developer

Post by echoone »

hoijui wrote:Spring uses OpenGL. If something works on NV, but not on ATI, the changes are 99% that it is an ATI bug, not a spring bug, which magically is worked-around by NV drivers.
-> go bug ATI
Ya, this is trollish...but...

Didn't someone recently insist that these problems with ATI are all a thing of the past by some years now?! As such, I'm sure you're mistaken. :roll: :wink:
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i remember someone saying, that the ATI problems would soon be gone if hoijui gets his harem. was some high ranking guy, and there was wide acceptance of that claim.
actually, what you think of was a mistake.. someone though hoijui already got his harem some time ago, and that unworthy soul spread it. Therefore, everyone though problems would be gone by now..
as you see, the high ranked guy was right though.

most appreciated would be a culturally mixed composition, easily achieved if the spring community works together as a whole and everyone considers donating his younger sister, sisters of girl-friends, cousins, ... *
take a stand in this issue! cause yes! you can!

virginity is not mandatory!!
what is:
[list][*] can cook
[*] aged 16 - 40
[*] female
[*] human or similar
[*] < 200kg (to limit bandwidth)[/list]
optional:
[list][*] deaf
[*] blind (actually a bonus for her)
[*] malfunctioning odor detection[/list]
good treatment of the freight is guaranteed, including daily food ratio and a minimum of 10min real sunlight (as long as it is not cloudy)!!
in case of rough defect, freight might be returned to sender or, if preferred, be renatured.

upload as attached file to your next post, or use paste- or filebin, do NOT copy&paste directly in here!
brathering

Post by brathering »

I've got the missing textures problem.
Forcing S3TC in driconf even makes the models disappear and generates a checker board on the ground.

Is there a fix or workaround available? I am running kernel 2.6.35. The new one isn't released yet on Gentoo.

edit: Sorry. Overread that library stuff. If I don't want to install that lib, I won't get textures. Ok. Damn IP.
Attachments
missingModels.jpeg
open ATI - missing models
(410.21 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
missingTextures.jpeg
open ATI - missing textures
(299.19 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “Linux”