How to... build stuff? :)

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Code: Select all

[      0] Using mod Complete Annihilation test-8243
I'm pressing Build button and nothing happens.

Also, how can i move command menu to the left?

PS.
And what's the difference between cloak and stealth?
Attachments
screen00009.png
(886.1 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
slogic
AI Developer

Re: How to... build stuff? :)

Post by slogic »

Found this: http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/NewbieGuide

Answer: press "B" to show build menu :)

This one is not working for me:
hold down the right mouse button
So, it is very inconvenient to play/test.

Also that tooltip (on the image below contains "Infantry Bot Factory" text) everywhere is very irritating. I think it should be visible on request only (like F1 key in OTA) or being OFF by default.
Attachments
screen00010.png
(884.71 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Just wondering, are you using a test build or the new Spring RC?
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

slogic wrote:And what's the difference between cloak and stealth?
cloak -> los invisible
stealth -> radar invisible
cloak + stealh active = cloak + radar jammer in BA
slogic wrote:This one is not working for me:
hold down the right mouse button
Hmm, works for me.
So, it is very inconvenient to play/test.
Use short cuts. E.g. b w w for mex.
Btw. the floating command menu is very beta. :)
Also that tooltip (on the image below contains "Infantry Bot Factory" text) everywhere is very irritating. I think it should be visible on request only (like F1 key in OTA) or being OFF by default.
I also don't like it floating by default. You can set it static tooltip in settings.
Kenku wrote:Just wondering, are you using a test build or the new Spring RC?
See first post, he is using a test version (more recent than current stable).
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Kenku wrote:Just wondering, are you using a test build or the new Spring RC?
I selected latest CA build because i'm using 0.82.1 and most mods are still not compatible with 0.82.x branch.
SirMaverick wrote:Hmm, works for me.
In windowed mode?

As for "cloak". Most OTA & BA players consider it as invisible + stealth. Why don't you just rename it into direct "invisible". And you'll get no more questions from CA noobs.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

SirMaverick wrote:
I also don't like it floating by default. You can set it static tooltip in settings.
That's not what he asked for.

slogic: Hit esc and go to the settings. Under Interface > Chili Cursor Tip you can increase the delay. To show the tooltip on demand, hold the spacebar.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

While it would cost some strategic options, the jammer tower really could be simplified down to a single on/off instead of having a glut of cloaking options. Can you still separately cloak the unit rather than activating the cloaker/jammer?
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

CarRepairer wrote:slogic: Hit esc and go to the settings. Under Interface > Chili Cursor Tip you can increase the delay. To show the tooltip on demand, hold the spacebar.
So, i can't turn it off. :(

Hm, is it normal that i can overload <ESC> behaviour by uikeys.txt in CA?
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

slogic wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:slogic: Hit esc and go to the settings. Under Interface > Chili Cursor Tip you can increase the delay. To show the tooltip on demand, hold the spacebar.
So, i can't turn it off. :(

Hm, is it normal that i can overload <ESC> behaviour by uikeys.txt in CA?
Well you can, you just need to set the Cursor tip to like 60s, that way you will only see it if your hovering over the unit for a long while and not doing anything.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Max delay is 4 seconds only, not 60.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Button shows big tooltip with explanation. It does nothing on purpose to make people read the tooltip.

I guess its better if it pops up dialog with the text instead :)
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Current tooltip is nice. But better allow player to turn it off. The more i play, the more irritating this popup becomes because i study units.

PS. I think we can close this topic to be less offtopic. The main bug is still left: right button click is not working for me in windowed mode under Spring 0.82.1 RC.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho is referring to the Build button. Its only purpose is to just be there so you can read its tooltip and know how to build. It's to help transition people who play other spring games, but it is confusing since it's a button you expect it to do something.

slogic: you can set the tooltip to show after 4 seconds. If you're sitting around without moving your mouse that long you must not be playing a serious game anyway. You can still see the tooltip instantly with spacebar just like hitting F1 in TA.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Ok, i see.

Also _holding_ of right mouse button is working. I did not realize i need to hold it.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Preety much. Just right clicking is preety much the same as BA, which it either activates a default command, or cancels the last one.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

slogic wrote:Ok, i see.

Also _holding_ of right mouse button is working. I did not realize i need to hold it.
You can also right-click and drag, which is faster. (Currently custom formations is disabled for constructors to allow this behavior, but that is also changable from the menu.)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@ luckywaldo7

I was actually surprised to find that in the CustomFormations options. I expected the option to disable that behavior to be located in the RadialBuild options, since from the my perspective it's not that the custom-formations is being disabled for builders, but that the build-menu is overriding CF.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Pxtl wrote:I was actually surprised to find that in the CustomFormations options. I expected the option to disable that behavior to be located in the RadialBuild options
I was surprised as well.

Menu may get a small overhaul soon allowing widgets to put their options in more than one main category rather than a single subheading of that widget's name. If I find the time.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The command menu has a semitransparent border. You can resize it in the lower righthand corner of the border, and move it by dragging anywhere else on the border.

Ideally, with a default GUI, you shouldnt have to move everything around, but yeah... all i can do RE: GUI is throw my hands up in the air, disable everything and say 'not my department'.

On Cloak vs Stealth, Cloak vs Jamming would make more sense, but Jamming generally refers to an area of effect around the unit, thus... a single unit jam is called a stealth. Its not very intuitive there, but its the internal spring convention.

Return to “Zero-K”