IceUI - Page 29

IceUI

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

MelTraX

Re: IceUI

Post by MelTraX »

Kremmy, I actually also have an XPS M1210 but with an nVidia graphics chip. Never had any hard crashes using IceUI (Windows XP) but I have a completely offtopic question: Is your lowermost row of pixels also shifted to the left like 30 pixels or something? I have this on XP, Vista and Ubuntu (only with the official nVidia driver though so my guess is you don't have it).

Concerning IceUI: I watched a few Starcraft II replays on YouTube recently and I really liked some of the stats you could see. For example army worth in minerals. Some of you might have seen me in the Spring lobby in the last couple of days and while specing a few games (yes, I still never play :P ) I really missed that stuff. So I actually already implemented it for IceUI but I also want the visual indicators SC2 has and since that's not possible with the current Player Information window I'll probably start from scratch. And while I'm at it, I hope I'll be able to improve it quite a bit.

Ecraven, I still didn't look at your changes yet but I will soon. It would be pretty cool if you could write a cool tooltip replacement. Been wanting to do that for a while. I'd also like it to show the amount of metal and energy when ordering a reclaim command (there already is a widget for that) and the total amount flowing into a construction site when hovering it (again, there's a standalone widget for that). I just think that's all stuff that belongs into the tooltip. And there's probably a lot more stuff that would be useful down there.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Yay Meltrax is still alive! By any chance, could you make Ice UI save widget state settings or whatever reason Car says Ice UI isn't fit for CA :P
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

If anyone tells me what that's supposed to mean.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

It probably doesn't support all of the features of the game, or mesh with the desired aesthetic.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Just in case it takes another year until I remake the Player Info window, here is the old one with three new tabs:
  • Army Worth: metal and energy cost of all mobile attack units
  • Units Worth: metal and energy cost of all units
  • Damage Dealt & Received
Attachments
playerinfo.lua
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

MelTraX wrote:Just in case it takes another year until I remake the Player Info window, here is the old one with three new tabs:
You are a legend.

Oh and just in case you get bored, a custom Game End screen would be awesome. It could display statistics in a friendly pie chart form, percentages or maybe a pretty bar chart or whatever. I just despise the current Game End form.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Jazcash wrote:
MelTraX wrote:Just in case it takes another year until I remake the Player Info window, here is the old one with three new tabs:
You are a legend.

Oh and just in case you get bored, a custom Game End screen would be awesome. It could display statistics in a friendly pie chart form, percentages or maybe a pretty bar chart or whatever. I just despise the current Game End form.
I second this a billion times

e: actually I really just want a better looking version of the current graph and window. It's hard to see light colored or overlapping lines
Last edited by Hobo Joe on 25 Jul 2010, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Jazcash wrote:
You are a legend.

How would you display time in a pie chart...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

JohannesH wrote: How would you display time in a pie chart...
Graphs for time, piecharts are for overall, averages or end game.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

I'd like to make a little test release. It should be stable, I would just like to collect some feedback:

When compared to the current stable version of IceUI, is this release faster or slower? [edit]Please don't compare it with the new Player Info window enabled though because it's pretty complex compared to the others.[/edit]

Do you have a font issue like in the screenshot? I'm pretty sure it's my graphics driver but if you see this, please tell me.

But now to the main reason of this test release: I actually started the replacement for the Player Info window and it already has some features the old one didn't have (like bars in the background to put the values into relation or the ability to sort it). It's easier to add features while implementing it instead of afterwards so I'm asking for feature requests (only concerning the new window atm).

Here's what I'm planning to do:

Clicking on the window should toggle between two modes. For both of those modes you can select the columns to display once in tweak-mode. Personally, I would put the team logo, damage dealt, metal cost of army and maybe total metal produced on the "compact" mode and after switching to the bigger mode probably a lot more.

Some way to collapse to an allyteam mode where (in a normal BA DSD game for example) you would just have three rows for the two teams and spectators showing the sum of all players for most columns and for ping and CPU the maximum value.

Columns I will add: The first three tabs of the old window are still missing (current metal and energy), team logo like on the old one and country flag. The rank column will probably be changed to icons instead of numbers. Other than that I also will add some quotients like "damage dealt"/"damage received" or "damage dealt"/"metal used". Just tell me what else you'd like to see here. Number of commanders? Number of metal makers? Queued nukes?

One thing that probably will come up is actions per minute. That probably won't happen because your Spring doesn't know how often other players click/press buttons until the game is over. I could count commands but that's probably not helpful because your Spring doesn't know if the player or a widget issued the command. Thinking about it, I want to see it anyway so I'll just test it.

I will also add an option to toggle the font or the bar in the background so you can have both like it is now or only one of them. If only the bars are displayed the actual value could be in the tooltip.

Oh and I nearly forgot: You can hover over the columns (not the column title) to see what the abbreviations mean and you can click on them to sort. It is then sorted by { 'S', 'AID', <your clicked column>, 'TID', 'PID' } so it's basically just grouped by specs and teams first.

I'm still not sure how to properly display comsharing players. Right now they both get the values of the team but imo it would make more sense if both only get half of it (or a third if there are three...) though that's probably even more confusing :D. Things like drawing higher bars spanning over two rows might work but if you sort by ping they don't have to be next to each other anymore.

The indication for ally/enemy/myself/spec will probably also change slightly. Right now it's only properly visible if the player has some empty columns. I will probably stick to some color-based indication to save some space though.

OK, so now I wrote a lot of stuff in pretty much random order. Look at the screenshot, download the test version (don't overwrite your profile) and post some feedback if you want to. I probably won't answer right away because I have to work but I will eventually.

Also: Just post what you disliked about the old window or how you would have improved it. (Or why you liked the old one better.)

[edit]I also changed the number format slightly. Instead of showing 200m for 0.2 it now shows 0.2 and up to 9999 it just shows the actual number. Then it switches to 10.0k as it did before though.[/edit]
Attachments
IceUI r83+Changes.7z
(617.97 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
new player info window.png
(593.05 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
font issue.png
font issue.png (27.7 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

it's a huge mess, i tried it and it showed things everywhere with both my old profile and the one included in the archive, and it was really slow, i use the spring MT version btw
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

I didn't try it with the MT version yet, but it is pretty slow with the new window enabled atm (at least if there are 30 players). But it's not like you want to cover half your screen with infos anyway. :D

About the mess: What did you do? Overwrite your old folder? Was the old IceUI still active in Spring when you copied the stuff?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

MelTraX wrote:I didn't try it with the MT version yet, but it is pretty slow with the new window enabled atm (at least if there are 30 players). But it's not like you want to cover half your screen with infos anyway. :D

About the mess: What did you do? Overwrite your old folder? Was the old IceUI still active in Spring when you copied the stuff?
yeah overwrite, and yeah it was still active (spring wasn't running)
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

Could you post a screenshot? I mean, it's supposed to be unplayable because the new window takes up half the screen but maybe something is wrong.
MisterBenn

Post by MisterBenn »

FYI I had trouble running the latest IceUI ("R83 + Changes") following the new Spring release. I was running fine beforehand but after the upgrade I had gui elements and tooltips flickering all over the screen. No idea if that was specific to my installation but reinstalling did not fix for me.

No idea if other people will have this trouble, I will post my workaround just in case. I was unable to redownload through SpringLobby's widget downloader (the main .lua file was downloaded but not the IceUI subfolder of assets) - in the end I reinstalled your "iceui-2010-06-11.zip" file from a couple of pages back and had success using it with the new Spring build. Anyhow I am glad to have IceUI working again, I like it a lot.

A new question now, what calculation drives the "up to three red or green arrows" which demonstrate the rate of change of metal or energy stores? I have seen 3 red or green arrows before now when the level of storage is not visibly changing. Do people use this for something specific? I wonder if it would be good to calculate the display of these arrows in relation to the total storage available... e.g.

Metal increasing at => 10% of storage per second = |>|>|>
Metal increasing at => 5% of storage per second = |>|>
Metal increasing at => 1% of storage per second = |>
No arrows for <1% change per second.

... and in red of course for net resource loss. Unless I misunderstand how they work now I think this would remain useful at all sizes of economy.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I have a problem where if I enabled the Minimap on any custom GUI widget the green flickers green when building units so I've had to leave it off on Ice UI for now :cry:
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

A fix I made for r83 is still needed in the one you posted... http://codepad.org/q78RJlRk

UNIX systems use forward slashes as path separators instead of backslashes.

Another annoying problem is that custom command buttons (areamex) are only displayed when the arrow buttons are visible (i.e. when the commands don't fit on one page). The custom command button also goes between the arrow buttons, which is strange. Could you make it appear like other command buttons?
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

I've been suffering of huge resource leak and Spring crashes (every time after about 25 minutes of small FFA game) and I also saw the font glitch happen. Not sure if this is because of the new IceUI, but here is the log: http://codepad.org/31qynESC

Notice that I was disabling a widget (inlinetip-bm) right when it happened, in IceUI widget dialog (this is where the text displayed wrong for a fraction of a second and then LuaUI crashed).
Chojin

Post by Chojin »

The inlinetip-bm widget seems to use the old fontHandler in a wrong way and caused these graphic glitches for me too.

In my locally modified version I have switched to gl.Text() which has other disadvantages, but no more glitches (as far as I can see):

http://git.develz.org/?p=spring-lua.git ... ua;hb=HEAD

Return to “Lua Scripts”