Civilization 4 - Page 2

Civilization 4

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

JohannesH

Re: Civilization 4

Post by JohannesH »

I saw that but I dont think you'll be finishing a game in 1 session anyhow.
aegis

Post by aegis »

they get through sins games :P
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Gota wrote:
Neddie wrote:How about Civ II?
Only offer something else if are sure you are willing to play it.are you?
That isn't a rule. Besides, I'm not offering anything, I'm just suggesting an alternative.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Neddie wrote:
Gota wrote:
Neddie wrote:How about Civ II?
Only offer something else if are sure you are willing to play it.are you?
That isn't a rule. Besides, I'm not offering anything, I'm just suggesting an alternative.
Well i dont see why play civ 2 if we can 4.
There is now a civ4 channel in mumble.
There are already a few guys there playing civ 4 pretty much every day,not sure who they are though.
Gota

Post by Gota »

started a game today.Netto,Scifi and I.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:started a game today.Netto,Scifi and I.
really try fall from heaven 2 it makes the game so much better and makes SP awesome
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:
Gota wrote:started a game today.Netto,Scifi and I.
really try fall from heaven 2 it makes the game so much better and makes SP awesome
I wont be responsible for convincing people to play something im not familiar with.If you want to play it with us than you'll have to be responsible for setting it all up.

Anyway,like I wrote we started a game yesterday and actually finished it.
We managed to finish it pretty quickly cause by roughly 1550 there was already a pretty huge gap between players and one of us lost completely so we decided to gg it,was fun though.
echoone
AI Developer

Post by echoone »

If anyone is interested in a free, less flashy version of the game, check out Freeciv.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Does free civ have simultaneous turns?cause that's a must.
If you want to try and arrange a game of these mods or free civ be my guest..i dont know any of them and civ 4 seems very good.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Gota wrote:Does free civ have simultaneous turns?cause that's a must.
one of the reasons why freeciv was created, was exactly to address that
freeciv faq wrote:Freeciv was created as a multiplayer version of CivilizationÔäó with players moving simultaneously. Rules and elements of Civilization II, and features required for single-player use, such as AI players, were added later. It is still a stated goal to let Freeciv's game engine be 100% compatible with CivilizationÔäó I and II, but only as an option.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I haven't had enjoyable experiences with Freeciv. Even with the Civ II balance, assaults seem deplorably weak, and after a few games of losing whole armies around a city against a single soldier of the same type on the defensive, I lost interest. Graphical bugs were also a factor.
echoone
AI Developer

Post by echoone »

Neddie wrote:I haven't had enjoyable experiences with Freeciv. Even with the Civ II balance, assaults seem deplorably weak, and after a few games of losing whole armies around a city against a single soldier of the same type on the defensive, I lost interest. Graphical bugs were also a factor.
Been a while since I've played but I've had very enjoyable games without any graphics problems whatsoever. Unless things has changed in the last couple of years, I would certainly expect that to be majority experience - and by a wide margin.

Perhaps you were using some of the alternate toolkit ports before they really stabilized? Or perhaps you used some of the alternate graphics packs before they were well supported?
Edible

Post by Edible »

I am in, though my experiences trying to get it to work under anything bar hamachi and lan mode have been failures.

I would recommend getting bugmod for everyone here, as it helps a massive amount (really just a UI mod).

I would rather play vanilla beyond the sword than mods
Gota

Post by Gota »

Edible wrote:I am in, though my experiences trying to get it to work under anything bar hamachi and lan mode have been failures.

I would recommend getting bugmod for everyone here, as it helps a massive amount (really just a UI mod).

I would rather play vanilla beyond the sword than mods
It should work online no problem.
All it needs is a gamespy account which you create from within the game.
Just make sure you have both expansions and patch 3.19.

By the way netto ascifi and me had another game yesterday, manged to finish it in one go as well, but the reason for that was that we got beat down by the AI :(
I guess we kinda suck though I was ganked by 3 AIs simultaneously which was pretty hilarious.
Gota

Post by Gota »

We opened a channel in the lobby(#civ4).
Current players:
Scifi,Kixu,BasiC,Hermuld,Nettogrof.
join us.
Gota

Post by Gota »

We are still playing but could use some more players.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I am considering joining but am worried that I will get hopelessly addicted
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Gota wrote:By the way netto ascifi and me had another game yesterday, manged to finish it in one go as well, but the reason for that was that we got beat down by the AI :(
I guess we kinda suck though I was ganked by 3 AIs simultaneously which was pretty hilarious.
Umm, what difficulty were you playing at? :P

I'm in too, btw.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Civ 4 is shit. Civ 3 was better, and it was also shit, but not as shit as Civ 4.

Difference is, in Civ 3 a warrior could defeat a tank, but in Civ 4, everything's just shit. That's the difference, percentage of shit.

Now Galciv 2, there was a good game. However, the movement system was shit, you'd select a bunch of ships/fleets and only some of them would move sometimes, so you'd have to repeatedly tell them to move again and again. Huge shit, that was. But actually moving things by hand is a pretty small part of GC2 so it's still pretty awesome.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”