Starting builds not capping mexes - Page 3

Starting builds not capping mexes

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

aegis

Re: Starting builds not capping mexes

Post by aegis »

you want nubs to become extremely unwanted instead of just a medium-sized crutch?
Edible

Post by Edible »

I dont want pooling to one player to be as powerful as it is in some mods. Often if someone good takes a player the game is over, particularly if you get say 1 pro 2 nubs vs 1 pro 2 nubs. If the pro takes a dropped nub he will utterly stomp the other side.

Currently having a fairly overall decent team is far more important than having the one uberpro that carries the whole team, and I think that is a good thing.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

See, dropping players, takes, everyone pumping resources into a good player, etc.

The problem here is that we have a tiny community so people from every skill spectrum plays in the same game. If we had a larger playerbase, we wouldnt even consider having the top elo players play with first-game noobs.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Alternate communism approach: communism only applies to overdrive. The base extraction (or a %age of it) is kept, and the overdrive results are shared. So even a player with no mexes but the output from his comm can go around putting solars next to every metal patch to encourage overdrive.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Thats where its needed most, pxtl, for efficient use of overdriven mexes was what spurred communism.

But you still get the gimped player in tabula, you still get people fighting over metal spots, you still get bad start positions and general team inefficiency. Granted, a really efficient team would probably funnel all their resources into one player, but thats not very fun.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Edible wrote:I dont want pooling to one player to be as powerful as it is in some mods. Often if someone good takes a player the game is over, particularly if you get say 1 pro 2 nubs vs 1 pro 2 nubs. If the pro takes a dropped nub he will utterly stomp the other side.

Currently having a fairly overall decent team is far more important than having the one uberpro that carries the whole team, and I think that is a good thing.
The opposite it true now. Now no one wants to take because it is a lot more territory to defend but not any more metal then if someone else took.

It results in what you could call the reverse tabula effect. Instead of a large-territory player overwhelming a small-territory player, the reverse is true. Which is really bad because a smaller territory already usually has the logistics advantage and attention advantage.
Yogzototh

Post by Yogzototh »

Oh look, a mechanic that rewards good teamplay in a teamgame!
And people get pissed at it.

I dont see any problems with communism in all-pro games, and the games should always be balanced only for this kind of games. I do and always will hate the gameplay changes that are made solely to make complete noobs fail less. Help the noobs learn faster and better, dont dumb down the fucking game itself.

With the current playerbase communism often sucks, but it doesnt mean the problem should be solved by altering it. Improve, or rather, enlarge the playerbase so we can have at least 2-3 differently-tiered games going, and everything will be fine. And until we have that many people, just dont complain and wait for the game to get released.

Return to “Zero-K”