Sound Effect / Music Composition - Page 4

Sound Effect / Music Composition

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Re: Sound Effect / Music Composition

Post by BrainDamage »

I give the guy 1 week before we scare him out with liceses, legalese and general wtf
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

You know what? Just don't bother with licensing and release your stuff into the public domain. Then, anybody can do whatever they want to it, and you don't have to worry about licenses, legalese, and general wtf.

Also, I think that it would be a good idea if you guys carried your license discussion out of kanoba's thread.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

rofl i just think its a tad annoying my tutor and friends have suggested just start making ya pay for it

lol but il make all the sound effects my self with out all the copyrighted stuff and yeah this copyright stuff is frustrating but you would think people who put there material on freesound would expect it to be used over and over in alot of different ways personally i would upload sounds to free sound wanting them to be publicly used even for profit

and no the copyright stuff isnt going to put me off brain damage we learn alot about it at course but they refer to music more often then not.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i downloaded your ba sound remakes, they sound good to me :)
but i noticed some have quite long moments of silence at start or end. (ie ServRoc1Remake.ogg at start)
Did you do this to match them with unit animation because i would think its better to crop them?
on the other hand some sounds do not have these fade in/outs at all?
I think a little bit of fading is needed, otherwise you get popping/crackling errors. Some sounds also clip a little bit. Not sure how bad that is for gamesounds.
just some things i noticed, i have no real clue of this.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

The licence will probably be fine, as long as you have all the names of the work of the people you used. I know its a pain, when you're downloading huge libraries to find the right thing. Its a trap ive fallen into before, throwing away hours of work because i couldnt remember where i got the source material from and under what licence it was.

And, haha, your tutor realises that none of us make any money from this right? He realises that this represents thousands and thousands of man hours by hundreds of people who havent earnt a scrap of money? What happened to doing it for the passion! :P

Anyway, we can probably use the sounds and say 'feck it' for now, because its better than having no sounds or totally proprietary sounds.

As for requests, Google said he'd like beam lasers, rockets, missiles and EMP (electricity bursts) for CA. Those would be swell.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Holy shit guys we get someone who's good at making sound and you all start babbling on about licenses now he probably won't even stay.

Jesus, forget all the boring tedious and annoying legal shit for 5 minutes, please.

He makes great sounds and he's giving them to everyone to do whatever they want with them, why the HELL are you even talking about this stuff?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Its very sad, yes. He seems to have disappeared and i am sure the licence requirements put forward by the Freesounds website are a part of the reason (Attribution is not our licence requirement, it is theirs).

I hate copyright, i dont even think it should exist, but without appropriate licences its just the same as using OTA stuff.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

hehe im on holiday guys dont get all worked up and ive started a new hobby of ice skating ^.^ i wanna play ice hockey but il get round to making your sounds and yes copy right shouldnt exsist >.>
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Saktoth wrote:I hate copyright, i dont even think it should exist, but without appropriate licences its just the same as using OTA stuff.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Saktoth wrote: I hate copyright, i dont even think it should exist, but without appropriate licences its just the same as using OTA stuff.

Who cares, it still sounds good.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Who cares? Linux distributions care, we care for advertising.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

If you chop down a tree in a forest preserve but no one hears you, did you really chop it down?
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

if you chop it down your going to hear it though?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Kanoba wrote:if you chop it down your going to hear it though?
What if you are deaf or hire a deaf person to chop it down for you? (They are also blind to answer you next question, actually they have no sensory input whatsoever...
scratch that, you make an automated tree chopping machine)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

If I collected all the authors from freesounds, and dumped them in a file giving them credit, would that suffice?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Beherith wrote:If I collected all the authors from freesounds, and dumped them in a file giving them credit, would that suffice?
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe so.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

More importantly, would it bring back Kanoba?
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Saktoth already ruined the chances of that.

Thanks bro
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Hobo Joe wrote:Saktoth already ruined the chances of that.

Thanks bro
You're not in the position to point fingers here.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Beherith wrote:
Hobo Joe wrote:Saktoth already ruined the chances of that.

Thanks bro
You're not in the position to point fingers here.
?

I'm not the one who scared him away with legal talk.

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”