Featureplacer Implemented in CA

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Assuming it doesn't get reverted, 8054 of CA can now play on the evorts, cursed, and gundamrts official maps.

Also, mappers can use featureplacer directly via changing the mode modoption to featureplacer mode.

This also means that CA mappers will instantly get all the mapoptions benefits that evo, gundam and cursed are privy to.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: Featureplacer Implemented in CA

Post by Saktoth »

This added a lot of models to CA. How large (filesize) are all the featureplacer models, combined? Given that there are other mods using this content, isnt there a better way to do this? Say, a dependency?

Edit: Yeah, updating my working CA folder has prettymuch doubled its size.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Unfortunately maps can't call dependencies, and... yeah :-/

All that is really a long story. Suffice it to say, being able to have the assets separated would be GREAT, but atm it's not possible.

Compressed, the models and textures are about 37mb. Keep in mind that this is well over 500+ features (Basically it's every map feature ever released for spring), so it's not like it's jsut a few ;p

Edit: If the filesize is a really huge deal, perhaps it should be reverted until there is another solution? Dunno. TBh It's your guys' call, but at least atm there are diffs, so reintegration later down the line should be pretty simple, and that's the most important part imo.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 13 Jun 2010, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We will split CA into multiple archives, i suggest other mods do the same.

That way we can have independent featureplacer archive, and if user tried one game, he wont have to redownload it for another.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:Unfortunately maps can't call dependencies, and... yeah :-/

All that is really a long story. Suffice it to say, being able to have the assets separated would be GREAT, but atm it's not possible.
Any chance the mods can call it, though? Then it can be maintained, updated etc seperately of the mods which use it, which now appear to be a fair few. Adding it to a new mod will require nothing more than putting the dependency in, too.
Compressed, the models and textures are about 37mb. Keep in mind that this is well over 500+ features (Basically it's every map feature ever released for spring), so it's not like it's jsut a few ;p
Is it really necessary to include every map feature ever released for spring? Impressive effort just to collect that many, but arent a lot of them pretty rubbish and/or necessarily huge?

jK just went on this big texture purge through CA because we are pushing up against the limits of texture memory, though i dont suppose this will hurt us unless we play a map with the features in it, will it?
We will split CA into multiple archives, i suggest other mods do the same.

That way we can have independent featureplacer archive, and if user tried one game, he wont have to redownload it for another.
Yeah, probably best forb do this, as we dont want different versions/naming conventions.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We could setup some repository for him on caspring - which gets auto built into rapid package etc.

And mods then simply change version number of feature placer they reference..
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Saktoth, Forb did a great job of selecting only the usable, high quality features. I dont think any of those are crappy ones.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Beherith wrote:Saktoth, Forb did a great job of selecting only the usable, high quality features. I dont think any of those are crappy ones.
True... When I say every feature ever released, I mean, every "Good" feature ever released. SOme of lathan's old trees (before transparancy) might be a bit debateable in this context as we have 0ad snowtrees now, but... hell.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

37mb is less than many of the most popular maps.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

The Featureplacer doubled the size of the ca archive.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Licho wrote:We will split CA into multiple archives, i suggest other mods do the same.

What's the chance that I could set up a branch on my svn to be used for featureplacer stuffs (so that way I could make updates and whatnot).

Keep in mind (and this is important), the mod needs to have the featuredefs so that each mod can adjust feature values to whatever they like.

I just thought of another problem though... The mod has to call a particular file, if this was set up through rapid, how would it be managed to call the same filename through future versions? Moreover I've tried putting the stuff in as a mod dependency and it didn't work... I need to retest, I'm hoping that I was jsut doin it rong.

@Sirmav: Svn is uncompressed.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Featureplacer should be stand alone.
Forboding Angel wrote:@Sirmav: Svn is uncompressed.
Who said I use svn? See also https://trac.caspring.org/ticket/2324
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

SirMaverick wrote:Featureplacer should be stand alone.
I totally agree. That would be really kick ass, unfortunately, at this current moment it seems that that isn't possible. I tried for a long time to make fp a standalone thingy but long story epicly short, I got nowhere.

I'm glad there there is some interest now and some really neat possible solutions being floated around.

From the moment I found out about it I realized that it was a mappers wet dream, at which point I tried to figure out ways to make it something that not require the mod to contain all the assets and not bloat the map. (Sorta like what the base files do for *A mods)

Anyway, I'm glad we've got some smarter people than I on the case now :-)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

with next engine release, mods can have dependencies. so feature-placer can be a separate archive and... problem solved?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

With next engine? Wasn't it possible for, like, ever?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Could maybe maps have dependencies? Or am I missing something here? Is there a transparent way to make user download a feature pack?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

.. my memory is too bad :/
Auswaschbar did that, and i know it is not in release spring yet, and it has to do with archives and dependencies, but i do not remember if it is for all archives or only mods.

I though it makes it possible for downloader to auto download dependencies.

but anyway... it would still be better to make feature placer a separate archive and a dependency of CA, instead of integrating it into CA. of course, making it a map dependency would be even better.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I may well be mistaken, but the problem I think was that, while maps can have dependencies, these are not autodownloaded by lobbies atm ?
I'll look into this a little later, since I have been dabbling with it as well, please correct me if I'm wrong.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Ooohkaay... So, after having tried various setups, I can definitely feel your frustration regarding map dependencies Forb :(.

Let me recap all the information I have on this issue (since I dredged the forum as well):

This January, Auswaschbar announced Maps being able to make use of dependencies (and included an example even). I think I tried it back then, and it worked (though my memory might be playing me tricks).

There has been a Spring release since then - So Hoijoi, I'd be surprised if your remark regarding it being in the next release is anything but a red herring (that is, a false clue/hint).

However, map dependencies is not working now - the example map/mutator given by Auswaschbar doesn't work, and I've played around with it to no avail as well (and from the sound of it, Forb did so even more).

So, my guess would be it's been broken since then (totally wild guess: have dependencies not been switched to using the gamenames given in eg the modinfo, rather than the filenames ? Perhaps mapdependencies got lost then...).

Anyhows, since this is a valuable feature, I think it might make sense to raise it with the devs?

To conclude, sorry to have somewhat sidetracked the discussion here.

P.S.
[quote]THis is stupid because years ago maps COULD call dependencies.[/quote] (Quoted from a different thread)
I'm afraid it's even more bothersome, it was only months ago :P.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Map dependencies work in master, but not in current release. Just tested.

Return to “Zero-K”