Sound Effect / Music Composition - Page 2

Sound Effect / Music Composition

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Re: Sound Effect / Music Composition

Post by Beherith »

Oh my god! These are absolutely fantastic!
Thank you so much for these. I like that bertha is bassy. It should shake the ground :D

Rofl at the radar jammer sound :lol:
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Beherith wrote:Oh my god! These are absolutely fantastic!
Thank you so much for these. I like that bertha is bassy. It should shake the ground :D

Rofl at the radar jammer sound :lol:

thanks =]
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Thats really great, open source project complete annihilation ( http://caspring.org/ ) is looking for replacement sounds and its been very hard to find decent ones!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Licho, I highly recommend you play through these sounds, its a near complete replacement for OTA, and they are just great.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

How the hell its possible! Thats amazing!
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Great sounds. I particularly like the cannons, explosions and some unit replies.

A lot of your sounds have echo which won't work for weapons and explosions as a lot will be playing at the same time. For unit selection a bit of echo may be ok.

As Licho said CA is looking to replace all of it's OTA sounds to become copyrighted IP free. We don't have a talented sound person on the team, I have searched the internet for free sounds and done a little editing to replace most of the unit replies, though some of yours are much better and will be used to replace my work.

CA is quite different from OTA and in adding units and weapons many weapon sounds are also free IP. Some things such as Bertha, Leveler, Banisher have free sounds. A full list is in the 1faction svn.

So if you want to look at sounds for CA I'd suggest you join #ca in the lobby and ask there, it's much more direct.

From your sound pack and what I have managed to collect we've easily got enough cannons, explosions and unit replies.

The main sounds in CA which I haven't found a satisfactory replacement for are rockets, beamlaser and emp.

Beamlasers use OTA sounds but I don't think for their original purpose. To see the kind of units looks at mumbo and arm llt.

I have found a few rocket sounds but I don't like what I find. I like the ota rocket sounds for the cleanness, they have a simple woosh. For I like your RockLit1Remake. I think the OTA rocket sounds in use are those for Janus, Missile Turrets, Rocko, Storm and Recluse. Blackdawn/Catapult, Popup turret and Banisher are free.

If you'd like to work with CA it would be much appreciated.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Google_Frog wrote: A lot of your sounds have echo which won't work for weapons and explosions as a lot will be playing at the same time. For unit selection a bit of echo may be ok.
Hey echo isnt really a term used by us audio engineers but i think your talking about reverb sustain, but yes i understand that a few would be too long i kind of guessed that a few would be out of time in game as well but i can remake all the explosions with much faster fade outs with in a day so would be happy to do that and also i can DL CA and have a listen to it and change any sound effects you want changed

also i love the OTA rockets too but i don't like the quality but the simpleness and cleanness is a bonus trying to reproduce that is hard with the Freesound samples being very limited so il ask my tutor (very experienced in the industry) ways how i could reproduce some nice clean short rocket sounds.

Also feel free to use any of the ones ive uploaded or if you want one for specific timing frames give me a detailed list of the timing and specifics

:mrgreen:

cheers kanoba

p.s il get on to making those shorter explosions shouldnt take long, next up load will contain:

Big Bertha shot w/o glass breaking
Big Bertha with less bass
Shorter explosions
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Amazing! And rly fast too, dunno how you managed to pull this off.

Keep up the good work!
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Wisse wrote:Amazing! And rly fast too, dunno how you managed to pull this off.

Keep up the good work!
lol all i have is course then nothing so ALOT of spare time atm =]
Argh

Post by Argh »

Hey, this sounds great, can't wait to hear the final mixes.

Couple o' technical notes:

1. Final mix should be to OGG not WAV, engine prefers it. 100% Quality is fine.

2. Try to keep final size (as raw WAV) reasonably low- a 5MB WAV when the OGG is uncompressed can be an issue in terms of performance, if it's something that plays all the time. This is especially important with sounds like the plasma-spammers (Peewee, etc.) that shoot very quickly.

3. Don't use stereo, the engine will handle sound in 3D.

4. If you're using freesound + some sampling, the license is as follows:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

Read that, it's basically giving you credit and credits the people whose work you're using as well :-)
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Argh wrote: Couple o' technical notes:

1. Final mix should be to OGG not WAV, engine prefers it. 100% Quality is fine.

4. If you're using freesound + some sampling, the license is as follows:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

Read that, it's basically giving you credit and credits the people whose work you're using as well :-)
hey thanks for the notes will try my best to keep that in mind, but Protools Doesnt bounce (convert) to OGG and personally ive never heard of that format i dont know very much about programming so if that could be done on your end it would be sweet. failing that please suggest a macintosh based ( preferably ) converter but i do have windows on my mac too

Also i dont quite understand that creative commons website do i need to do anything? or does it just mean im not allowed to claim those sounds for benefit?
Argh

Post by Argh »

1. OGG is basically an Open Source codec like MP3.

You can convert from WAV to OGG with Audacity (free, Open Source audio toolkit): http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

There is a Mac OSX version, hope that it works for you. If not, I can do that as a batch-process, let me know when you are done via PM (I probably won't check this thread often).

2. The license of freesound.org's stuff applies to everything you use there. You don't have to do anything other than put a text file with the sounds, saying, "I made these sounds with samples from freesound.org sounds, they use the Creative Commons Sample+ License, 1.0 (see freesound.org for details). Credit to: (list of people whose sounds you used)".

That's all you have to do, and then it's 100% legal for anybody anywhere to use the sounds for their games.

Even better yet, you can even upload the final sounds there, and share them with the world at that point :-)
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Argh wrote:1. OGG is basically an Open Source codec like MP3.

You can convert from WAV to OGG with Audacity (free, Open Source audio toolkit): http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

There is a Mac OSX version, hope that it works for you. If not, I can do that as a batch-process, let me know when you are done via PM (I probably won't check this thread often).

2. The license of freesound.org's stuff applies to everything you use there. You don't have to do anything other than put a text file with the sounds, saying, "I made these sounds with samples from freesound.org sounds, they use the Creative Commons Sample+ License, 1.0 (see freesound.org for details). Credit to: (list of people whose sounds you used)".

That's all you have to do, and then it's 100% legal for anybody anywhere to use the sounds for their games.

Even better yet, you can even upload the final sounds there, and share them with the world at that point :-)

thats gunna be a LONGGG list do i HAVE to write every name? can i just write (combined people of freesound.org)

Also Mp3 makes audio engineers cry :'(
Argh

Post by Argh »

Technically, yes, you have to credit them individually.

That said, I doubt very much if you'll hear any complaints if you credit them as a group and include the URL for freesound.org and to the license they use.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

so want me to convert all those sounds to OGG Cause i do have audacity then upload them again with the text file?

im pretty happy with them just gunna change the explosions and one or two other things
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yup, that's pretty much it, other than somebody doing the programming stuff to make them work in the games, but that's not your problem :-)
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

i would love to learn how to do that hehe but think il stick to audio for now ^_^
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2688

Final =D i like it

changes are:

Shortened explosions
Format now OGG so ALOT smaller =]
radar jammer sound effect now proper :(
and breaking glass removed from Big Bertha sound
Argh

Post by Argh »

Taking a listen. Loving the style of the sounds thus far.

Couple of technical caveats:

1. A lot of the sounds exceed the clipping threshold. Some have clipping artifacts (Burn02 for example). For Burn02 and other white-noise blowouts, clipping fixes are going to be necessary.

Fixed Burn02 with declip / low-pass filter in Audacity (threshold 500Hz), lost some high-freq, but the clicks are gone.

2. Sounds need lead-in/lead-out ramp to full volume (even a 32nd of a second ramp is enough) at front and tail end to not cause clicking when played in the engine.

Here's an example of clipping fixes and lead-in / lead-out:

http://www.wolfegames.com/TA_Section/ExplodeRemake.wav

Download and take a look at the waveform.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

lol trying my best il get right on it =D

The Explosions didnt Bounce Properly so il get onto that too
Last edited by Kanoba on 23 Jun 2010, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”