Sound Effect / Music Composition

Discuss sound effects, game music, and the creation thereof.

Moderator: Moderators

Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Hey im kanoba im 19 keen to get into music and sound effects creation (mostly sound effects) i have Protools and Logic and Audacity and just looking for a some thing to do in my spare time =] would love to make some sound effects and music just wondering what kind are in demand =D
Beherith

Re: Sound Effect / Music Composition

Post by Beherith »

Welcome to spring, Kanoba!
Since as far as I know, we dont even have any dedicated sound engineers, it really makes me happy to see someone with your skills around here.

Basically every mod/game is in dire need of someone like you. But I would say the most pressing issue is the fact that Total Annihilation based mods still use the old sounds from the game, which is less than ideal. It would be great if you could try your hands at remaking the sounds from Total Annihilation (which is mostly roboty noises, gunshots and explosions) Also, almost all mods lack scores as well.

Be prepared to be very popular here soon :D
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Hey im keen to help but know nothing about programming so if i just provide the sounds for you to program in would that be ok?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Of course, thats just fine.

Thanks!
ttocskcaj

Post by ttocskcaj »

I'll help out to.
(I'm Kanoba's friend)
I can write music so if you want to point me in the right direction i'll get on to it :D
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

*A people would respect if you'd start remaking TA sounds. Just the basic noises, ambience, effects, etc.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You can check out the current sounds used by Balanced Annihilation (the most played Total Annihilation based spring mod) by downloading it fromhttp://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2528
Then you can use the free program 7zip to unzip the mod files, and all the sounds are in the sounds directory.

Really looking forward to your sounds!

Also, a score might be interesting as well, though I am unqualified to give even basic guidelines on that. The old TA score can be found on springfiles.com.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

I have Started Remaking the Sound effects Using some Recording Round the house and Alot of Stuff off Freesound.com anyways i should be done about tomorrow or the day after where do i upload them to? also after that il start taking requests and feel free to tell me which sound effects you dont like and want changed

cheers kanoba :mrgreen:
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Awesome! You can upload them to springfiles.com, its easy to use and fast.
What is Recording Round the house?
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

You go aRound the house, bashing at objects and Recording.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

As opposed to near the lips recording, where you try to make it work using the smacking and swirling of nearby flesh.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

As opposed to near the lips recording, where you try to make it work using the smacking and swirling of nearby flesh.
lulwot? hehehe
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Done and uploading now hope you Enjoy,

http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2680

Now taking requests and feel free to ask for me to change any of the sounds ive uploaded so far =D

cheers kanoba
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Good job! I listened almost all of them through and they sound cool!

Since I have no experience or knowledge of this genre of art, cant qualify myself to criticise nor say yay or nay, but IMO bertha (big plasma cannon) should have more pompous and deeper sound (more bass.) I like the original sound being such and you shouldnt try to go too far from that.

But perhaps I'm maybe mocking the wrong sound. Can't really tell from the names of which unit they belong...

Keep it up! Maybe next some ambient music etc. ? :P

And btw, you should license your work in some way, even though it would be completely free. That way the game devs would be more sure that they can use and remix your art. For example, I recommend CC-BY which gives "full" freedom while still giving the credits to the original author.
http://creativecommons.org/
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Wow awesome!! You remade them all already?!! Muchas gracias!!

I listened to most of them and I like most of them!! I probably would have to hear them ingame to be able to judge them.

I noticed this one, whichs is quite a nice Big Bertha:
RFLRPC3Remake.wav

But I think I can hear glass breaking during the shot which is a bit odd.
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

lol ok il get onto remaking the bertha sounds :-)

also i hope you like my Radar Jamming Sound :mrgreen:

also il get on to that copyrighting thing =] but i would feel kind of weird copy righting it simply because a majority of it is off free sound and just spliced parts

Also with the Bertha Sound because of the way they were named i didnt quite know what they were for so il just remade them as a explosion >.< but yeah il get onto it hehe

And ask ttocskcaj for some ambient music i can try make some but he is much better at writing scores then me
ttocskcaj

Post by ttocskcaj »

I'll get onto it but who would I talk to about themes etc... Ie what kind of music
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Bertha6Remake.wav is quite bassy...
Kanoba

Post by Kanoba »

Bertha6Remake.wav is quite bassy...
ever stood next to a real big betha? i thought not =]

hehe dw il get right onto it :mrgreen:

Return to “Sound Effects & Music”