What is your lobby client of choice and why?

Discuss development of lobby clients, server, autohosts and auto-download software.

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I use Spring Lobby mostly, it does the job most of the time. Ascetically it looks alright, I wish it was a little more...not yellow? I'm no artist so i guess I'll stop talking about it. I like it's steam like pop-ups when i get messages.

I just started playing with Spring Downloader I like how it attempts to streamline things. I find it a bit difficult to find a game I want to play in but that's probably because I'm not too familiar with it yet.

TAS client, I have not tired. Sorry Satirik.. :(

So those are my opinions, I'd like to see why other people use their lobby of choice.
==Troy==

Re: What is your lobby client of choice and why?

Post by ==Troy== »

I am forced to use Springlobby. Not that it is terrible, but it still has some bugs to iron out, especially on linux.

I was a fan of TASC until this happenned :

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17343

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17778

forcing me to switch to SL.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

TASClient exclusively.

I can't use SpringLobby because its devs don't care that SL doesn't work anymore under my operating system.

I tried QTLobby a bit, but got too many error messages.

I haven't tried that new SD client thing.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Im a SDer, with SL as backup. I would use TASClient as backup, but I can't seem to get the new ver to load properly.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Pidgin
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'll use a lobby until it crashes. got all of them installed, currently using SD... not as keen on the interface as some of the others, but its very reliable and has some nice features.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Peet wrote:Pidgin

I so wish there was a lobby plugin for pidgin.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

oksnoop2 wrote:

There is an IRC bridge to the lobby. Ask somebody for it, and you can use that to chat and stuff.

I personally use SL mainly, because it's the best at letting me leave it on for weeks on end. I'm very interested in SDlobby, however. :-)
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

MidKnight wrote:
oksnoop2 wrote:

There is an IRC bridge to the lobby. Ask somebody for it, and you can use that to chat and stuff.

I personally use SL mainly, because it's the best at letting me leave it on for weeks on end. I'm very interested in SDlobby, however. :-)

I am officially asking about this ..IRC...Bridge...? (as you can tell by the number of ...'s and the ? mark i have no idea what this is)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Im big fan of tasclient. I have always been and now especially since it has cool new outlook. Tasclient is simple in the same time while it provides a lot of specific features.

Everyone should try it!

Springlobby has not so good usability and is sometimes a bit clumsy. Can't really explain this explicit.

SD havent really tried. It is a good idea and has some potential. Theres still certainly some flaws in it.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I'm using SD because i develop it. Seeing a bug/annoyance slowly builds up rage which in turn forces me to fix it (or yell at Quantum to fix them).
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I use SL because it is comparatively stable and runs on all of the operating systems I use. TASC has often proved unworking or in possession of a memory leak, and while I use SD at times it hasn't replaced SL.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

TASClient because it has user friendly custom skin support, a profile system which allows you to switch between Spring settings config files easily, lots of nice little scripts like PM spam protection, custom icons and the like.

The main reason I use it is because Spring Lobby breaks all the time and the tabs are just a messy clutter. Oh and Spring Lobby doesn't really even do half as much.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

oksnoop2 wrote:I am officially asking about this ..IRC...Bridge...? (as you can tell by the number of ...'s and the ? mark i have no idea what this is)
IrcBridge Wiki
forest_devil

Post by forest_devil »

springlobby. its kinda horrid but complaining dont help.

its the only thing remotely acceptable to use on ubuntu
malric

Post by malric »

springlobby - works on Linux and anyhow it is good enough for me.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Licho wrote:I'm using SD because i develop it. Seeing a bug/annoyance slowly builds up rage which in turn forces me to fix it (or yell at Quantum to fix them).
And that's appreciated. I'm really starting to enjoy using SD as a lobby client.

One small request: could we get a "close completely instead of to tray" option? Since it's now a lobby instead of a downloader, I'd like the option of making it behave like a lobby.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I use SpringDownloader. Here's the link:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUok- ... kOHI&hl=en
knorke

Post by knorke »

springlobby suddendly had this bug that if i downloaded to maps\ it would fuck up file permission or whatever and thus dls failed at 99% all the time.
so i changed to springdownloader because the automatic mapdownload is very fast and reliable.
but springdownloader is redownloading every map and the playercolors are too small/too hard to see because there is a picture of hendrix over them?!
also i miss a ready button somtimes when the game automagically surprise starts.

imo all lobbys are good and ok to use but if you show them to somebody who is unfamiliar you suddendly notice all the little flaws.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Spring Downloader cos its not horrible like SL :-)

Return to “Lobby Clients & Server”