World Cup Footy Thread! - Page 3

World Cup Footy Thread!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Re: World Cup Footy Thread!

Post by knorke »

otherside... i agree somewhat about the stupidity of the ball... it's really to do with sponsorship... even once the ball was available, many teams did not train with it due to existing deals (england for instance has an umbro sponsorship, and trained only with umbro balls) which is pretty ridiculous IMO. it should be like motorsport, where the ball is make to exact specifications that can be duplicated by every manufacturer. or just use what the players are already used to, instead of a needless switch
I know that they have a new ball every now and then (when the world cup was in germany it was called "Teamgeist" I remember) but the thing with the sponsoring deals is just stupid? Well, fault of the teams.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

It is funny that mathematically this ball is the roundest ball used so far. Maybe the players just cant kick a round ball
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

wait, people care about football?
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

lol spain got pwnd
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Wartender wrote:lol spain got pwnd
Agree with upthread - something is going very, very weird this World Cup. Maybe it's the ball, idunno... but the top teams are playing surprisingly badly.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Im happy that Spain lost. Not that I have anything against Spain, but I just enjoy everytime when underdogs win and favorites gets pwned.

Btw, since Finland sucks, Nigeria is my favorite. Some aggressive speed they got.

And those vuvuzelas should be banned, they sound really annoying.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i agree with sirartturi, i like seeing underdogs win.

also:
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

yes, the swiss can be very proud of that victory... impressive! i can't believe that spain didn't manage to score with the number of looks at the net they had, but to be fair it looked for the most part to be good defending to be the culprit

just watching the uruguay/south africa game... what a goal from forlan! defenitely one of the nicest yet

the vuvuzelas sound like bees... millions of bees with tiny dental drills...
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

I think the spain-switzerland result really clarifies that it is the altitude. the swiss are used to hight altitudes, whereas the spanish just arent. i believe thats whats driving this world cup
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Sucky_Lord wrote:I think the spain-switzerland result really clarifies that it is the altitude. the swiss are used to hight altitudes, whereas the spanish just arent. i believe thats whats driving this world cup
You might be onto something. The Chileans' unusually strong showing fits too.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Hey, how many teams get past the group stage? One from each group or two? I tried to find this info on the Fifa website, but I guess they assumed everyone already knew.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

2 from each group.

And finally the second round of games has brightened up this boring world cup.

Its finally picking up !!!.
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

Sucky_Lord wrote:I think the spain-switzerland result really clarifies that it is the altitude. the swiss are used to hight altitudes, whereas the spanish just arent. i believe thats whats driving this world cup
The Spain-Switzerland game was held at Durban, which is at sea level. Your point is invalid.
Andrej

Post by Andrej »

itt most memorable WC2010 moment calling it now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVmOgrMUqA

except for england not passing out of group stage
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Andrej wrote:except for england not passing out of group stage
Bender The Offender

Post by Bender The Offender »

Man FIFA hates Australia. Worst red cards ever. It's alright though because Ghana will destroy Germany and Australia and Ghana will get through >_>
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

yeah, the aussies have had poor luck with that :/

tbh they're one of my favourite teams to watch, not because they're -good- per se, but because they're honest players... no rolling in the dirt and embellishing... also they ALWAYS attack, i think this is something that holds true with aussies in most sports i've seen them compete in (lol im racist) but seriously it's a good aspect of the team that i think is often overlooked.

with a team like that, they dont have to win a thing and the fans can still be proud.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Woo New Zealand tied with Italy. Would have won if the Italians hadn't have taken a dive.
Bender The Offender

Post by Bender The Offender »

I loved watching the NZ game, well because Italy didn't win, they dive so much it really kills the game. Agreed kaiser, even though we are basically knocked out now without a miracle happening, we were proud of their efforts against Ghana, especially after the embarrassment against germany lol. We didnt go out to win that game, but to control the damage and paid the price.

So, what do you guys think of the sub-par efforts of the English team so far. I've heard a lot of people saying Rooney should be benched to show him he cant play shit and lazy and still get a start.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”