where did all the pros go? - Page 3

where did all the pros go?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

maackey

Re: where did all the pros go?

Post by maackey »

Edit: someone deleted a previous post, so my reply is out of context

The new UI is absolutely phenomenal, but its brand spanking new, and of course has some small issues. That's what you get for cutting edge technology.

I wouldn't say CA is dead. Some people may joke about it, but as long as there are even a few players and devs I think it will continue to grow.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

SirArtturi wrote:Feels like devs have been doing fruitless job and should have, maybe rather used their great effort to improve BA for example (sorry about this naive comment.)
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 95#p435495
SirArtturi wrote:BA would need many things.
But many things most likely wont change anymore.
BA is done - complete.
Not being developed.
Just maintained.
It's dead.
So stop suggesting improvements for It cos It sounds stupid and pointless.
El Capitano

Post by El Capitano »

Acidd_UK directed me at this thread, so I thought I'd mention why I stopped playing. I was able to work around the UI, it never got to the point (for me) that it was unplayable, although ATI's driver bugs didn't make things easy. For me, the problem was the community.

Some of the things that I liked about CA in its early days was the responsiveness of the developers. We'd play games, talk about how the gameplay was and a few days later, there'd be an evolved version to try out. It was awesome. However, it started to gain popularity and the community took a turn for the worse.

I remember pretty much everybody hanging out on Springie for a game. It used to get to the point where you'd get 8v8 with loads of specs. The problem was that, as you add more players, the problems grow exponentially. Nobody seemed willing to move onto another server, everybody piled into Springie and would sit there demanding to play. This meant it was always large games and, inevitably, people would have problems and getting an actual game off the starting post took a long time.

Even with the "one server to rule them all", it wasn't enough to push me away. Instead, I got frustrated with people like Regret dicking around, ruining games and people having the attitude that "if the game mechanics allow it, then there's nothing wrong with it." Sometimes this even extended to griefing your own teammates. I tired of the tolerance of this attitude and left. It's a shame, CA's game mechanics were really enjoyable at the time.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

El Capitano wrote:Even with the "one server to rule them all", it wasn't enough to push me away. Instead, I got frustrated with people like Regret dicking around, ruining games and people having the attitude that "if the game mechanics allow it, then there's nothing wrong with it." Sometimes this even extended to griefing your own teammates. I tired of the tolerance of this attitude and left. It's a shame, CA's game mechanics were really enjoyable at the time.
It was enjoyable, but allowed for strategies that ruined the game for you? :regret:
El Capitano

Post by El Capitano »

Protip: no game is perfect. The sort of thing I'm talking about is regret using the friendly fire mechanics to grief players on his team that he didn't like. I like the fact that FF exists, but considering that, at the time, my options were play with regret or don't play at all, I chose the latter. A few months later, threads pop up asking where everybody went. Go figure.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Besides the general gameplay mechanics not being "after my fancy" I especially was put off by the fact that there existed no master plan behind the entire project. I mean all the flexibility and anyone being able to contribute was sort of cool but it ruined more than was gained in my opinion. It felt more like people randomly putting their ideas in and playing around with stuff rather than actually creating a game. I mean seriously - it was sort of a unwritten rule that basic game mechanics would totally change every 6 months or so (with the Overdrive system and the flat tech tree just being two examples of changes with great impact on the actual gameplay)...

For competitive players it must have been frustrating to relearn every couple of months...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Why was my post deleted and johansen whatever his name is wasn't.

O_o.

I was proving a point of reference about problems which persist in *A mods in general.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

El Capitano wrote:Protip: no game is perfect. The sort of thing I'm talking about is regret using the friendly fire mechanics to grief players on his team that he didn't like. I like the fact that FF exists, but considering that, at the time, my options were play with regret or don't play at all, I chose the latter. A few months later, threads pop up asking where everybody went. Go figure.
This is ban-worthy. I believe Regret has been banned from Springie before. Attacking friendlies is griefing, and earns you a kick and a ban if any moderator is around to see it.

The am glad the [CAT]s are gone, they're just the kind of negative community elements we dont need.

When we say 'Everything the mechanics allow should be fair game.' we mean that there should be no strategy or tech people agree not to use because it makes the game unfun or unplayable- say, factory cooping. We implemented a mod-side solution to this issue (free factory, rather than just boost) rather than rely on players just not doing it because it isnt fun to boost someone elses fac.

When we say this we mean that if there is some op, abusable, super-stupid-cheesey strategy, then the game needs to be fixed, rather than the community making up rules to get around it. A bit of cheese is good, of course, as long as its a balanced risk (BD/Can rush). Not some silly strategy which will beat anyone doing a standard start.

Something like attacking the enemy and not your allies is a different prospect. Killing the enemy is the whole point of the game, attacking allies is griefing.
knorke

Post by knorke »

left, because ca players will only play > 4v4 and people who want that are better of joining a ba game.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

knorke wrote:left, because ca players will only play > 4v4 and people who want that are better of joining a ba game.
Meh, I wouldn't agree there Knorke. If people want that they just need more players, and really, the only person Ive seen that forces 4v4 is Licho, and all you have to do is spec him most times if you wanna play smaller.
knorke

Post by knorke »

sorry but no. yesterday night it was the same as the last times i tried playing ca. One battleroom, 5 players, 3 specs. Ok, I join.
Cool, its 3v3 now. 3 or 4 players ready up.
"map dl %?"
"we all have the map, its just that blablablabla"
omg.

Then team balancing, shuffling gamemode 5 ffa <-> 3v3 multiple times as players spec/join/leave randomly.
Half the players are afk. One posts youtube links. Nobody wants to actually play it seems. All "general/goldstar" players btw.
In #main: "join ca! join!" advertising.
Some noobs join and leave.
One stays. A 3v3 game starts.
The noob makes a line of solars to the mapedge, then gets his commander stuck there. The other ally disconnects 2 minutes into the game.
Eventually a second game starts. It ends before startpoints are chosen.

Stop making this fake games. If you are not going to play, spec or get out the battleroom? Actually hard to believe even the ca devs troll the few players like this.
You can make noobtrons, guides and tutorials all you want but this scares more players away than "i dont know how to make mex."

ca and xta are both not played often, compared to almighty dsdba:
If I see an xta game: oh, somebody is hosting xta. probally wants to play xta.
If I see an ca game: oh, somebody is hosting ca. Better not feed the trolls.
Regret

Post by Regret »

El Capitano wrote:Protip: no game is perfect. The sort of thing I'm talking about is regret using the friendly fire mechanics to grief players on his team that he didn't like. I like the fact that FF exists, but considering that, at the time, my options were play with regret or don't play at all, I chose the latter. A few months later, threads pop up asking where everybody went. Go figure.
Replays or didn't happen. I can claim I have seen x person do y and it wouldn't mean anything without evidence. Attacking me won't solve anything, I don't even have a game of CA in my replay folder which goes back almost half a year.
Gota

Post by Gota »

If were gonna have a trial can i be part of the jury team?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Gota wrote:Image
Didn't swallow it. I backtracked and decided to delete it, and the forum bugged.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

knorke wrote:Eventually a second game starts. It ends before startpoints are chosen.
One had engine mouse bug.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Waldo wrote:So whatever made people quit?
A number of things:
  • BA
  • DSD
  • 8V8
  • Life

Return to “Zero-K”