Evolution RTS Feature Update #1

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Evolution RTS Feature Update #1

Post by Forboding Angel »

http://www.evolutionrts.info/?p=568 << Newspost
Evo Newspost wrote:Hello everyone! I was going to write a big olÔÇÖ newspost about all the new cool stuff that weÔÇÖve been working on,

but I figured if a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video must be priceless!

So thatÔÇÖs exactly what I did. I didnÔÇÖt cover EVERYTHING, but I did cover a lot of the cool new stuff thatÔÇÖs been going on. You can of course find the videos at our youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/forbodingangel) or you can just watch the embedded videos right here! Make sure to turn the quality up to 1080p for maximum win and awesomeflakes.
Watch the vid at: http://www.youtube.com/user/forbodingangel
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Evolution RTS Feature Update #1

Post by zwzsg »

I'd like to know what's new, but cba to watch 20 minutes of boring ingame footage. Video complement text and still images rather than supplant it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You do realize that actually making this vid, while only taking 16 minutes to record, I spent well over 4 hours post processing and uploading?

God forbid I request 16 minutes of your time. :roll:
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Wow... since the last time I checked on EvoRTS this is a huge step forward in the visuals/units. Great work!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AF approves, * gives Forbes a cookie*
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

I really did enjoy looking the vid, great improvements!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I just listened to a minute of it before you even got to the actual "features"... and now you're explaining normal maps, and apologizing for spawning it, and apologizing for the clipping again...

Yeah, I can see why Z turned it off. Sorry.

Good lookin' model, though, particularly with the normal map. The power-plant-placing-ring is hawt secks, too.

Seriously, dude, it's really rambling, and you can't skim a video.

Construction animation is hawt secks too.

You like to say "and whatnot" and have a funny accent.

Map looks good... although I have to say that the modelling style of the units and the modelling style of the map don't really mesh well. They'd look cool on an alien planet or a steel landscape or crystal world, but they look out-of-place on realistic Earth terrain. The ground stencils under the buildings are particularly jarring - they'd look awesome if projected onto steel or pavement or some other artificial flat surface, but don't look good on natural earth.

Nice firing sound for that raiding quadruped.

whoops, I just realized I was watching part 2.

Oooh, you've used Z's SP menu. Lookin' good.

The save/single-player features are cool. The "continue a human game against a bot". Can you do this with replays?

Pretty map. The blue dots stand out a lot, but I guess that's the point, eh? Good on you for choosing gameplay over seamlessness. Again, though, I'm not sure if your mapping style meshes well with your unit style.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You said 2 useful sentences in your entire post. Next time, stick to what is useful and shove what isn't, otherwise I'll handle it for you.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

I don't care for your accent. -Fixed

But the game looks cool might have to give it a shot seems its come along loads since i first played it.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Forboding Angel wrote:You said 2 useful sentences in your entire post. Next time, stick to what is useful and shove what isn't, otherwise I'll handle it for you.
I counted 22 sentences, 18 of which are useful, conveying overall 27 items useful to you. I don't even understand why you're so angry Pxtl took the time to write useful feedback. You know you can close topic if you don't want comments?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Paragraph 1, useless.

Paragraph 2, useless.

Paragraph 4, useless.

Paragraph 6, Useless.

Paragraph 7, belongs in another thread.

Paragraph 9, He realizes that paragraphs 1, 2, and 4 are completely off base because he didn't bother reading the video titles.

Last half of paragraph 12 belongs in the same Other thread as paragraph 7.

I have very few rules on this forum, most of which are already covered by the main forum rules (even though it took the mod staff 6 years to be arsed to actually do anything about infractions), but there are 2 rules that I have, both of which are common sense.

#1. Say something nice, or state your criticism constructively, otherwise keep your mouth shut.

#2. If something you want to talk about is a large deviation from the main thread, make a new thread. Don't crap all over the existing thread.

Last but not least, I'm not mad. What gave you that idea? My reply to pxtl was a warning, nothing more.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Forboding Angel wrote:Last but not least, I'm not mad. What gave you that idea? My reply to pxtl was a warning, nothing more.
Forboding Angel wrote:You said 2 useful sentences in your entire post. Next time, stick to what is useful and shove what isn't, otherwise I'll handle it for you.
This is not an emotionally neutral post and certainly not one that is going to improve the public view of your ability to run a subforum.

I suggest you make an effort to get along with people who are trying to provide useful feedback on your work, even if the attempt is a misfire.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I just listened to a minute of it before you even got to the actual "features" <- here Pxtl is giving you useful advice: When shooting such a promo video, don't delay going to the actual features.

... and now you're explaining normal maps <- here Pxtl is giving you useful tip: An explanation of normal map has no place in a EvoRTS video.

, and apologizing for spawning it, <- Here Pxtl is giving you useful tip: such apology has no place in an EvoRTS promo video

and apologizing for the clipping again... <- Here Pxtl is giving you useful tip: this goes for apology about clipping as well

Yeah, I can see why Z turned it off. <- Here Pxtl is giving you valuable feedback: Don't do the above, or it will annoy your viewers so much they'll have to mute

Sorry. <- This is useful to make you understand Pxtl actually feels bad when telling you that.

Good lookin' model <- An external point of view on the quality of your work is always useful

particularly with the normal map. <- This is useful to know that time spent on normal map was time well spent, this will be useful if later you need to decide about removing normal map or adding it to other stuff.

The power-plant-placing-ring is hawt secks, too. <- This is useful to know what you did right, what are the particular feature that made EvoRTS good

Seriously, dude, it's really rambling, <- this is useful to help you make better video.

and you can't skim a video. <- this is useful in explaining why rambling wouldn't be as bad in text form

Construction animation is hawt secks too. <- this is useful to know the strong point of your mod, from an external eye

You like to say "and whatnot" and have a funny accent. <- this is useful to know what to correct to shoot better video

Map looks good... <- this useful to know that next time you shoot a video, make sure to still take as much attention to pick a good map than on this one

although I have to say that the modelling style of the units and the modelling style of the map don't really mesh well. <- this is useful to know what to correct to get a better visual coherency in your game

They'd look cool on an alien planet or a steel landscape or crystal world, <- this is useful to know how to correct the map style to get a better coherency.

but they look out-of-place on realistic Earth terrain. <- this is useful for it tells you what part of the map style cause the incoherent look

The ground stencils under the buildings are particularly jarring <- this is useful to know what part of the unit cause the incoheerent look. Pxtl is particularly useful by being precise there.

they'd look awesome if projected onto steel or pavement or some other artificial flat surface, but don't look good on natural earth. <- ok, this is just a repeat

Nice firing sound for that raiding quadruped. <- this is useful, for it tell you which kind of sound should be used

whoops, I just realized I was watching part 2. <- this is indeed not useful at all

Oooh, you've used Z's SP menu. Lookin' good. <- this is useful in confirming your decision to use my menu was a good move

The save/single-player features are cool. <- this is useful in telling you what part of it makes it worthwhile

The "continue a human game against a bot". Can you do this with replays? <- this is useful to know what the public (here Pxtl) wants

Pretty map. <- this is a repeat, not useful

The blue dots stand out a lot, <- this is useful to make you aware of what strike the newcomer's eye

but I guess that's the point, eh? <- this is useful to let you know the above item was not a negative one

Good on you for choosing gameplay over seamlessness. <- this is useful to let you know you took the right decision there

Again, though, I'm not sure if your mapping style meshes well with your unit style. <- this is a repeat, not useful
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'll do the next commentary.

A THOUSAND GIGABYTES OF SKILL IN A SINGLE NANOSECOND!!!! WHERE DOES THE PLAYER BEGIN AND THE ARMY END?!!!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

elite double post
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

KaiserJ wrote:i'll do the next commentary.!
Works for me.

@Z, this is not a promo video. This was to show new features that have been added and explainations as to how they affect/effect things.

If it was a promo video I would have named it promo, or trailer, or etc.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Oh ok. That first post sounded very promoish to me, sorry I got confused with your intentions.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Actually, discovering the integration with Shard actually gets me interested in this. Last time I played Evo, I screwed about for about a minute before giving up because I had nobody to play against. Realizing it's being developed side-by-side with an appropriate AI makes me want to crack it open again.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

yeah, shard is a tricky opponent; certainly makes newer versions of evo an entertaining game to play solo... we also have another AI apparently being released sometime this month or next (due to academic restrictions) so i'm looking forwards to that too!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Pxtl wrote:The "continue a human game against a bot".
Unless Forb changed it, savegame is disabled in multiplayer. In fact, the whole menu is disabled in multiplayer. You have to know the console command /dump my_save_name And in multiplayer, that commands requires cheat.
Pxtl wrote:Can you do this with replays?
I just tried, and yes you can. But again, the menu is disabled, so you have to type the command, and again, it will require cheat.

Basically, I didn't want people to restart a skirmish or reload a savegame during in a multiplayer game, thus leaving for the rest of player, so I disabled the menu in multiplayer. Plus the esc menu is useful in multiplayer, and I didn't want complain that it didn't show.

Also, I didn't want people to cheat by saving during a multiplayer game then looking at the save, so I made saving in multi require a cheat.

I didn't want to debug reloading a multiplayer game, so I made the save->load turn multiplayer game into single player game were all other humans are replaced by bots.

I didn't take into account demos, but demos of multiplayer games are seen like multiplayer game by my widget & gadget.

Well, of course, all that could easily (except reloading multiplayer) be changed depending on what is wanted.

Return to “Evolution RTS”