Portal is FREE - Page 2

Portal is FREE

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

bartvbl

Re: Portal is FREE

Post by bartvbl »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Hobo Joe wrote:as for the other question : http://i40.tinypic.com/v8ngh0.jpg
:lol:
ULTIMATE
WIN!

Meh. Portal is fun, but it lacks a sandbox map :P
One where you can fly around the place without having to do anything..
oh well
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Raghna wrote:Why do I hate mainstream games so much? =C
They're all so overrated, like Portal is.
Portal is not mainstream, it's geeky to the max. I can understand why people loved Portal when it was just a surprise bonus in the orange box. But then it got praised all over the internet so much, I can understand people expecting a real game got disappointed.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

They expected omgwtfgraphics shoot em up.

They got a game instead with a real storyline

tut tut

I downloaded and played it, finished it, I liked it, epic game, back now, have there been any recent advances?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, they changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

And now you get dragged off by a robot on the end to go to a party.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

it was for the alt reality game steamworks did, essentialy they hid a load of info in a update which were radios that made different noises when put in different locations.

Long and short of it is, they used it to change the ending to make it possible for a sequal, which is coming out soon, and in turn is pushing back ep 3 of half life.

this is why i love and hate portal.

Its a good game and all, but it doesnt compare to the half life series for reasons of my own.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

Hobo Joe wrote:Also raghna you're retarded, you hate one of the most genius fps games ever because it's popular?
Raghna wrote:
aegis wrote:you hate something because it's popular?
No, not at all.
Is it because you hate pop music , that you hate it because it's popular?
For some yes, not for me.
Next time you call someone retarded, make sure you can accomplish a task as simple as READING.

I usually dislike any non RTS-genre which happens to be kinda the only non-mainstream genre iirc.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Don't hate it just because its popular :/
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

JohannesH wrote:Don't hate it just because its popular :/

I'm going to mentally scar you all now

ImageImageImageImage
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

hating chuck norris is a very bad idea
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I'm just glad that you posted a picture that was not of your face.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

JohannesH wrote:I'm just glad that you posted a picture that was not of your face.
This.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Raghna wrote:I usually dislike any non RTS-genre which happens to be kinda the only non-mainstream genre iirc.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
You'd be wrong. Real time strategy may seldom account for more than six percent of sales, but it is certainly in the mainstream and indeed one of the eight core genre to the industry - the others being FPS, RPG, Puzzle, Platform, Fighting, Racing and Sports. There are some genres which join the "mainstream" of a particular country, like visual novels in Japan, but as a rule of thumb these are the pillars on which the international industry stands. Other significant genre which individually might be considered less "mainstream" than RTS include adventure, shoot 'em up, simulation, light-gun, beat 'em up, musical, etc. Subgenre expand the variety even more - for instance, RTT are a much smaller niche than RTS.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Neddie wrote: Real time strategy may seldom account for more than six percent of sales, but it is certainly in the mainstream and indeed one of the eight core genre to the industry
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

There is something else than console shooters and the sucky side genre, that changes from continent to continent, that feeds the industry EATM?
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

Neddie wrote:You'd be wrong. Real time strategy may seldom account for more than six percent of sales, but it is certainly in the mainstream and indeed one of the eight core genre to the industry - the others being FPS, RPG, Puzzle, Platform, Fighting, Racing and Sports. There are some genres which join the "mainstream" of a particular country, like visual novels in Japan, but as a rule of thumb these are the pillars on which the international industry stands. Other significant genre which individually might be considered less "mainstream" than RTS include adventure, shoot 'em up, simulation, light-gun, beat 'em up, musical, etc. Subgenre expand the variety even more - for instance, RTT are a much smaller niche than RTS.
I understand what you mean, but in that aspect you might almost create a new subgenre for every game ever bought out...
I obviously meant that from those 'pillars' RTS is the less popular.
I'm actually the biggest fan of Grand Strategy games, even more so than the classic RTS game, which imho could possibly be the less mainstream strategy subgenre. But like I said, it's not because it's popular that I don't like it, it's usually just because I have a very different opinion about games than the mass. (which I can't help but feel superior to tho. I will admit at least that, even if I don't have any rights to feel that way about it.)
knorke

Post by knorke »

played the first few levels, its fun so far.
But steam still sucks like when I first tried it :roll:

Does anybody remember the name of the free game that was very similiar to Portal? The character was in comic style and the levels were caves I think. On the wall there were torches.
The portals were like old wood doors with a skull on top. And I think you could not jump?
aegis

Post by aegis »

portal was based on narbacular drop. portal is way better.
knorke

Post by knorke »

ah yes thanks.
of course portal is better but chasing yourself through portals was impressive still.
wikipedia says valve then hired the team to make portal.
lol the glowing eyes of the "doors" in narbacular drop even have the same orange/blue color like in portal.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

SinbadEV wrote:blah blah blah, portal is a half-life2 mod, installing it on your steam account essentially means you now own a copy of the hl2/source engine and as such can play all mods (like Golden Eye Source) for said engine.
No the free version doesnt allow to install the source sdk so you cant play any mods.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”