Heroes of Newerth - Page 3

Heroes of Newerth

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Otherside

Re: Heroes of Newerth Closed Beta Keys giveaway

Post by Otherside »

the learning curve is steep but it was the same for dota and it really doesnt start getting fun till you learn the game fully and you play at a decent level which takes time and patience, the game has a lot of depth and its not figuring out what stats/items etc give are broken to abuse the advantage its about map control/team setup and various other factors.

Infact if you check dota out of the pool of like 93 heroes around 80 are used in competitive play at some level, that shows the level of balance that the game brings when played with competitive rules.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

zwzsg wrote:Because of the close-up view and the gameplay based around killing of hundreds of mobs, I need a mod with lots of good looking model. Not a mod where the only units are three undescript blobs. The upgrade system, I would recode anyway. It's just the art assets that I can't or don't want to make.
Ah. I was just thinking that Microblobs as-is would be a fun game for Diablo-style crawling. Use some tanks and aircraft to go exploring, and use a static base for artillery bombardment for fire-support, etc. Just needs more variety in the villains.
Otherside

Re: Heroes of Newerth

Post by Otherside »

Game just hit retail like 2 days ago.

And its getting massive exposure in terms of esports cos of the amount of money being put into the scene.

So far over 80000 dollars worth of tourneys have been confirmed.

Game is made of win :] worth every penny.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:the learning curve is steep but it was the same for dota and it really doesnt start getting fun till you learn the game fully and you play at a decent level which takes time and patience, the game has a lot of depth and its not figuring out what stats/items etc give are broken to abuse the advantage its about map control/team setup and various other factors.

Infact if you check dota out of the pool of like 93 heroes around 80 are used in competitive play at some level, that shows the level of balance that the game brings when played with competitive rules.
So 13 are completely useless?
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Gota wrote:
Otherside wrote:the learning curve is steep but it was the same for dota and it really doesnt start getting fun till you learn the game fully and you play at a decent level which takes time and patience, the game has a lot of depth and its not figuring out what stats/items etc give are broken to abuse the advantage its about map control/team setup and various other factors.

So 13 are completely useless?
Does it matter if they are? It takes nothing away from the 80 heroes that are used
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The unused heroes are underpowered for the most part if I recall, but eighty in ninety-three is almost unheard of level of balance as far as a competitive game goes. How many characters are used at a competitive level in any fighting game from the full roster? How many were used from the Super Smash Brothers series? Comparatively few.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Flop got me playing this game.

Name: MightySheep
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I played League of Legends for a while, but ended up losing interest, never was able to get into DotA either. Is this game any different?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

As far as I can tell, they're all cut from the same cloth, though I can tell you that I enjoyed HoN far more than DotA. On the other hand, I stopped playing after a shorter period of time.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Hobo Joe wrote:I played League of Legends for a while, but ended up losing interest, never was able to get into DotA either. Is this game any different?
Hon is a more polished DotA. LoL is a dumbed down, but evolved version of DotA. I prefered LoL because I'm not going to have to pay for it when beta ends, and I personally felt that it was alot more forgiving and inviting to me, being a player fairly new to the DotA style games.
Gota

Post by Gota »

HoN is fun but you will get shouted at a lot if u don't play to level.
Regret

Post by Regret »

SwiftSpear wrote:LoL is a dumbed down, but evolved version of DotA.
I never really played DotA much, what is dumbed down in LoL?
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

My room mates played this game and now they quit studying so I think this game is evil and makes you retarded. (similar to wow)
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Machete234 wrote:My room mates played this game and now they quit studying so I think this game is evil and makes you retarded. (similar to wow)
same can be said for any well-made game tbh, especially competitive ones. (speaking from experience. >_>)
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

I played the entire Closed Beta and Open Beta and I have to say the game on itself is quite brilliant although I won't buy it, partially because the community is crap.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

Raghna wrote:I played the entire Closed Beta and Open Beta and I have to say the game on itself is quite brilliant although I won't buy it, partially because the community is crap.
who cares about the community, just find a cool clan and your sorted.

flop has a pretty cool clan
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I will agree on that, though with the caveat that it is far superior to the DotA community.
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

Neddie wrote:caveat
wut?
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Most teamgames have crappy community if you dont have your own team, it's quite a nobrainer

Well they're pretty shit to play with randoms in any case, even if the randoms were all really nice guys
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

JohannesH wrote:Most teamgames have crappy community if you dont have your own team, it's quite a nobrainer

Well they're pretty shit to play with randoms in any case, even if the randoms were all really nice guys
I love every bit of the Spring community in every way.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”