Humble Indie Bundle

Humble Indie Bundle

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

maackey

Humble Indie Bundle

Post by maackey »

Soo awesome.

I've always thought these things were really neat. You can pay whatever you want for the 5 games (World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru, Penumbra), and share it with charities or give all proceeds to the developers.

I'm also very curious about the actual rate of people who would pirate these games (and not pay for them later), as there is absolutely no incentive to, unless ofc you don't have a credit card or paypal account.
But even then, I mean, a parent certainly wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks for a game a handful of games for their kids, right?

They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - not some lazy bum begging for donations, and not some overprotective corporation milking customers for all they can.

On a related note...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Humble Indie Bundle

Post by SwiftSpear »

I was just about to post this. I support this thread!
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

lol the song of the video on their webpage almost makes me not want to buy this xD

i'll probably give it a shot though, since they're all for linux too. I like how in the little pie chart Mac has ~25% and Linux almost has that much, windows only has barely over 50% yeah! :twisted:
Raghna

Post by Raghna »

I saw the same kind of thing but for a skiing station in France, kinda makes me wonder how they can take profit from it. Even though I'd pay the just price if I'd want to buy it. But I played most of those games and they're not really my genre.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

These games aren't really my genre either, but I'm getting the bundle, if only for World of Goo. :-)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Aquaria is AWESOME.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Getting.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Before buying, please read:

You may reason, "Even if I only pay 25 cents, that's 25 cents times the many thousands who will buy this", and not feel like the asshole that you most definitely and certifiably are for even conceiving the idea.

But please bear in mind that many payment services (paypal f/ex) have fees that take a minimum amount off the top of any payment, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 cents USD.

Basically, in case you were such a gigadouche you wanted to pay just one cent, please pay 41 cents instead. And you will actually "pay" them about 5 times more if you pay $1.00 versus $0.50.
Last edited by Caydr on 05 May 2010, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Bought them for 60$. Half to EFF. Good deal, its great to see that actually indie games are finally getting public appeal.

Another interesting fact is the playerbase ratio of about 2:1:1 for W:L:M.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I know it sounds retarded, but I'm not buying these *because* they don't come through Impulse or Steam or something. I find the ability to re-download later invaluable.

(Plus I've already bought WoG about 5 times)
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Caydr wrote:I know it sounds retarded, but I'm not buying these *because* they don't come through Impulse or Steam or something. I find the ability to re-download later invaluable.

Although lame it sounds, I find that ubuntu one service (I got it working on non-ubuntu systems too) acts well enough for the "game backups". Steam or not, but I would rather have something more controllable.
maackey

Post by maackey »

Caydr wrote:I know it sounds retarded, but I'm not buying these *because* they don't come through Impulse or Steam or something. I find the ability to re-download later invaluable.

They do say on their site that you *CAN* download them as many times as you want (but if you can keep backups of your own, so much the better for bandwith)

I have to say though, that the timing really, really sucks. Between this, CA, and the SC2 beta a friend nudged me into, my last week (hooray exams! :regret: ) of an already terrible semester just got that much worse.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

you can pay 1 cent... what does it matter? It's 5 almost free games, all of which would be worth paying some cash for, but together are just awesome in a sock.

Unlike steam games, you can just make hard backups, and the file sizes are negligible.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

lol this very same thread is on wurm forums too
http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=34267.0
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Yeah, already bought WoG twice, and the rest don't really sound like my thing. Still, nice to see these indie bundles getting press.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Seriously, if you try aquaria and don't like it at least a little bit, there's something wrong with you.

Penumbra is also a spectacular game. I'd almost go to say it's like what the resident evil series should have been after the move to 3D. Any horror game fan should LOVE penumbra. It doesn't hit the production values of some of the AAA games, but it does what it does incredibly well.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

they put up average contributions by OS, funny how the users of free software are willing to contribute more than anyone else :mrgreen:
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Aquaria is stunning game, the only problem is that sometimes you get totally lost and have to go back to the places :(
Panda

Post by Panda »

I wouldn't mind donating money for Indie games.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Panda wrote:I wouldn't mind donating money for Indie games.
maackey wrote:On a related note...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”