Springfiles

Springfiles

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Springfiles

Post by Forboding Angel »

is it giving anyone else a 403?
gonpost

Re: Springfiles

Post by gonpost »

Yup.

Code: Select all

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403

http://www.springfiles.com
Tue May 4 23:18:56 2010
Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.12-hh1_2ubuntu3 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
If you do .com/index.html, then you get:

It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

inb4.htaccessgonewild

:lol:
jj

Post by jj »

The site is blocked by the hosting provider.
Because of heavy load on the server caused by springfiles.

Since they also blocked me ftp access to the site i cant examine anything. I have done a phone call. They will look at it later this night.
Its a bad thing a hosting provider put a site offline due to heavy load without communicating anything to the client before they do actions like this.

I hope the site will be back online shortly and this problem will be something of the past.

The hostings provider phone number to complain about this:

Helderhosting
0031 20 5200111
Open 9am till 5pm European time

JJ
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

CPU load or what? This small community shouldn't load that poor server much.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

This looks like a perfect opportunity for me to make the new spring filehost. Only trouble is my hosting is in america and iirc most spring players (or at least most spring players who deserve maps and mods) are in europe.

Epeen ++
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

when you even have waiting times before someone can download, to keep the traffic inside the limits of the monthly bandwidths..
....srsly

Now springfiles is offline I suddenly realise how important that website is for the spring community :P
MSSSSM

Post by MSSSSM »

Hi,

I looked at jj's provider, he has only 100 GB free Traffic.
I can provide space/bandwidth too. I have a fast server (2.6 Ghz Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, Location: Frankfurt) with 2 TB free traffic and 1 GBit connection, I can give 100 GB webspace. (Rootserver)
Edit: free for the spring community

Marius
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I suggested that we have basic html listings on the spring files mirrors, almost a year ago.

The result:

http://jj.darkstars.co.uk

403 forbidden, theres nothing stopping you jj from removing the htaccess directives preventing normal Apache listings of the mirrors, nor is there anything stopping you making spring files be more proactive in transferring stuff to mirrors. The last few times I've gone to spring files, no attempt at all was made to transfer as no mirrors where listed despite there being an automated system setup.

This was avoidable and it's only because of your negligence that a sizeable proportion of springs content is inaccessible. Doesn't matter that your Host is an arse or your FTP is blocked, your server could have been crushed in a landslide or destroyed in a fire or a tidal wave, what then?

And its not because you dont have the time or energy.

Since the suggestion was made and the promise to implement it was made, we've seen a slew of utterly pointless faffing around features, like the shout box in the background, or the ticker of photos, half of which has been removed.

( and you reading this, don't think your not to blame, what with you only uploading your maps and content to springfiles)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Note that main spring server could also host it, its one of mirrors anyway. Especially if there are other external mirrors for content.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Darkstars and evolutionrts.info both have fairly full/complete listings I believe. They are both mirrors of springfiles.

I don't have pretty thumbnail setups or anything, but I imagine AF and I could coordinate some sort of effort to have a unified and properly mirrored file host (perhaps using the spring server as the master? <- if that were the case we would need database and ftp access).

Why aren't direct download locations shown for evolutionrts.info/maps anyway? The file list is not hidden, so why was springfiles hiding it?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

There is no problem with FTP/database or whatever on main spring server, but i don't see reason to code something new(again), just use springfiles and run its main site on spring main server?

I already offered it in the past, it's up to jj afaik.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Btw - to look for mirrors while springfiles is down, you can also use

http://planet-wars.eu/PlasmaServer

(This is server of the system used by SpringDownloader/SpringLobby, it's not meant for end users, it just for admins to delete faulty stuff)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Springfiles is broken in a lot of places tho, and that needs to be fixed. It works, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it works well.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

bartvbl wrote:Now springfiles is offline I suddenly realise how important that website is for the spring community :P
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

There is a pattern here. first UF, now jobjol. if we host it on the main spring server then in a few years spring will be completely dead!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well it goes to show that AF and I were right in wanting our hosting and the spring server to handle the file hosting.

The question is, where do we go from here?

If Iamacup happens to have a copy of the base program that UF ran upon, that would be a godsend.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

if we had 3 file hosts, that are all pretty complete, then.. wouldn't the downloaders be enough?
i mean, so the mirrors would only need a simple upload HTML form, and a way to fetch file list. and if all files would be available on all mirrors, then nobody ever had to go to the file sites through a browser.
if the web part to setup is simple, it would make setting up new mirrors much easier too.
The only problem there, might be, that new ways to preview mod info/mini-map of archives would be needed. -> downloader protocol changes.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well here is what has been banging around in my head the past few hours. It isn't a complete thought yet so bear with me.

All 3 sites would have the same uploader, or at least, each site would have a way to upload a file into for example, a maps (or mods) directory. For evortsinfo (actually, more appropriately, springinfo domain (they're on the same server obviously enough so the name is jsut semantics)) I would probably just set up public ftp or just a script (perhaps uber-uploader? (I really like the script)).

Then once the file has been uploaded to one server, it would be broadcast to the other 2 and subsequently propogate.

As far as map info, I have a solution there as well. I (or me and AF (assuming he wanted to get involved)) would set up a site, either on my server, af's or spring's (I would lobby for mine or AF's due to the fact that we don't have access to the things we would need on the spring server). On this website, you would have a posting form, probably quite similar to posting news on springinfo. There you would put your map name, the description and pictures all in one place.

The post would then syndicate to springinfo and spring's facebook page (and by extension, it could syndicate to the spring site as well, just like springinfo posts do).

It's not a perfect idea, but for website backend obviously I'm thinking wordpress, because it has tons of functionality for this sort of thing, and you would have really really nice map/mod listings, categorized properly, and it would be ridiculously easy to maintain. Plus, as I have with all of my sites, a daily backup of the database is emailed out as well as backed up on the server, this means that even if the server hosting the website got nuked, the database would be completely intact and could be re-setup in a matter of an hour or less.

For that matter, uploading the file could very likely be implemented directly into the posting process (in fact I just had a fairly solid idea of how it could be done).

The site depicting the map / mod listings in this case would be far more powerful and superior to anything we've had in the past. At least, imo.

AF you wanna weigh in here?

Edit: I also maintain that the direct link to the files should NOT be obfuscated. There is simply no need for it.

In the interim, in case people here don't know, you can access all the maps on the evorts server at http://evolutionrts.info/maps
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Just one thing that may have caused the bandwidth overrun: lately support for propagating updates to files has been broken. So any map or mod updated by its uploader would then only be available on springfiles. There were multiple times when I had to wait 30 secs for a dl link to appear, because there was only a single mirror. I never choose springfiles if I dont have to.

Return to “General Discussion”