spring for android? - Page 3

spring for android?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

==Troy==

Re: spring for android?

Post by ==Troy== »

Caydr wrote:I understand that x86 is a bloated, outdated, inferior technology designed in another era, but I hate the idea of widespread adoption of anything else. I mean, unless there's a way to emulate x86 with reasonable speed, then screw it.

I realise that I am feeding a troll, but here it goes.

The only reason why x86 is still alive is a huge bulk of programs written for it and supporting only that type of architecture.

Now with "cloud computing" coming up, and with smartphones catching up with PC speeds, the x86 will play less and less of a role.

Ah, and btw, x86 the way its done now, is effectively ARM + translator on top of it. (of course not ARM designed chip, but just RISK processor).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Interesting, do you have any links on the subject?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

srry but what about spring for android?
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i think, even if it were possible to run spring on the android's hardware, the controls would be impossible to cram in there, just the GUI would have to take up the whole screen just to make the buttons big enough to press, then there's commands often used by keybinds, when you don't have a keyboard... i don't find it very possible =\
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

My phone has a full qwerty hardware keyboard.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

so what are you gonna do about the GUI? how you gonna use a mouse? (touch screen doesn't have right click) i doubt you'll have the space on that phone to fit all the icons/information boxes that you *need* to play 99% of spring mods
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Voice command silly. My phone has 3 separate microphones (one for speakerphone, one for regular phone, and one for noise cancellation) so surely that is the best solution.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Tribulex, quit trolling.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Multitouch has support for more than one finger you know.

Double tap? hold and tap second finger?
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

Phone users could micro one or few units, in some teamgames :)
Idk for you but my phone got better gpu than my old pc who can run spring engine good enough, in 2018 it doesn't sounds that stupid.
Cpu?
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

The ultimate team micro experience: mash together 500 phone users and each one can control 1 unit - in FPS mode - unbeatable army!
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

I must admit that I could easily imagine 4vs4 games ending as huge 40x40 games with players joining while game was running. Moba, Rts and fps players with differents roles, machines and fun, all in one, the Dream :)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Developing for Android defineatly is easy by now with emulators freely available.

The problem is really us game-devs- having not factored in a device-diverse playerbase. So for example, if somebody plays on a cellphone- how would a usefull lobby and controllmethod look to them?

Certainly not mouse + keyboard.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

PicassoCT wrote:Developing for Android defineatly is easy by now with emulators freely available.

The problem is really us game-devs- having not factored in a device-diverse playerbase. So for example, if somebody plays on a cellphone- how would a usefull lobby and controllmethod look to them?

Certainly not mouse + keyboard.
Touch control is not a problem. IIRC, somebody demonstrated Spring being played on a big multitouch screen some years ago. I had some inclinations to write a full touch control interface when I bought an HP TX2 9 years ago, but gave up because Spring's performance on that laptop was very very bad.

Developing for Android / iOS / ARM and keep performance acceptable while maintaining sync with the desktop versions will probably be challenging.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Agreed there- maybee a syncing 2.5D 3d units only version would be better suited to save battery and pervyRomance.

Lets call it Spring TA and go full circle bananas.

Return to “General Discussion”