What do you want to see more of in CA? - Page 9

What do you want to see more of in CA?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Pxtl

Re: What do you want to see more of in CA?

Post by Pxtl »

Idea: you know how the Zeus has stun + damage? Why not make all the vanilla stun weapons do a small amount of Capture damage? Something like 1/8th of the stun damage. Right now capturing a unit is incredibly tedious, but if you just had a tonne of stun-firepower blasting at something and it happened automatically (8x after it was stunned) then it would be cool... but still doing so little capture damage that it wouldn't be OP.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yeah, alternative is complex gadget for workers to simplify the capture process..
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

well my major beef with ca is that it's pace/game play is way to fast....imo it becomes a race for who can actually keep up with properly manageing their stuff is the altru fast environment, sort of strips the game of strategy and makes it inaccessible to noobs....this fundamental factor is part of the reason why Ca is not all that popular, you see this extreme "do everything at once" management gameplay only appeals to hardcore TA people, this limits the fan base and potential players for CA drastically...also chances are that these hardcore TA peeps would rather play BA since
1)there is always populated games to play
2)most similar to the game they love(you know how conservative these people get)

imo, if you guys wana increase your player base make the game more asseable in terms of pace and complexity(you dont have 2 sellout)...then afterwards try expanding the spring community, which will bring in a new generation that are not hardcore TA fans and will be attracted by your game

some other stuff that piss me off:
-the extreme variations of style in the modells makes the game look bad dispite the great looking units(ota was weak in this aspect, Ca is wrose)
-the off pace walking animation of some units(the distance traveled dose not match steps taken)
-how units just jump out of the factory
-and other things that rlly miss up the feel of the game and make it cartoony that i did not catch yet(but subconsciously it affects me)

(my attempt to try to avoid any flaming from that hard working CA developers):well i prob don't know what i'am talking about...and i;am sure you guys did a great job with you mod(i just dont get it)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

While CA is _faster_ than other *A mods, I generally find it lower-stress because there's less pressure to micro your econ concurrently with commanding your troops.

Plus, the very powerful LLTs and scout-plinking MTs also help take off the edge. So while BA is a slower game, I find it much more difficult to handle the fact that my attention must be divided between so many different things, and the stakes are so much higher in BA as well (it's easier to comeback from distruction in CA).
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

No no, nightcloud, your feedback is just the sort of stuff thats useful for us, its specific, its actionable, etc.

I actually agree with you about pace: But on the other hand, Starcraft. The fact it takes a huge amount of micro just to play the game is one of the draws, and there is a lot of fear that SC2 will dumb it down and not require as much micro: its like playing hyperchess on a piano. This physical element to the game, the required dexterity.

Me? I have one of the higher APM's around here but i actually prefer thinking play: coming up with new strategies and rushes and builds. Outthinking the player, switching unit mixes, and creative uses of units, finding new counters or dominant strats/units. Google (also a high APM player) and i have actually slowed down the units in 1faction.

Agree on style variations but being IP free is more important than
anything else: This is an art manpower issue, we have none.

The cartoonyness is a problem too, i think. Where is it worst? The mouse cursor, some of the buttons, etc? Any units? This is kind of an art manpower thing too, a lot of our art is coder art. Machio influenced the 'comic' thing a bit, but without his humour it seems silly, not funny.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I like the cartoonyness. The differing style also makes things interesting.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

You know i actually think the easier recovery is sort of what makes CA more difficult. The lines can fold in and collapse easily, but you can rebuild easily, but that all takes effort and APM.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

nightcold wrote:-and other things that rlly miss up the feel of the game and make it cartoony that i did not catch yet(but subconsciously it affects me)
I have a theory that the subliminal cartoony-ness comes from the cursor theme, which is based on comix cursors.

As far as apm goes, CA really isn't about raw apm as much as learning to use some of the tools provided to you. Priorities for example, are much easier than manually setting some stuff to wait so other stuff can build faster. You can find out about this kind of stuff in the neat guides listed here: http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/Manual
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I *like* CA's cartoony look. Every RTS is brown grimdark these days, so a game of vibrant colours and cartoony buttons is a refreshing change. I just wish it were more consistently applied.

This is a game where one of the deadliest assault units is a garbage can with rocket-boots and a spear.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Pxtl wrote:I *like* CA's cartoony look. Every RTS is brown grimdark these days, so a game of vibrant colours and cartoony buttons is a refreshing change. I just wish it were more consistently applied.

This is a game where one of the deadliest assault units is a garbage can with rocket-boots and a spear.
Stop that, there can be no happiness in Saktoth's bleak nihilistic world. Its a garbage can with rocket boots and a spear, dripping with the blood of orphan children and newborn kittens.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Metallic robots killing each other with spears is what makes this world worth living in.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

well style is not that hard 2 recover from imo, you see there is already many models in ca with the same style....the peewee & warrior and scrimisher have the same style(and that new sumo thing)....and that white blueish figher airplane(and other similar airplane/hover like models that did not get used in game, also that big gunship) has the same style as the peewees..the thud feels out of place

mr.d's stuff has the same style....you just gada do something about arm vec(i 'am think along the lines of kidnapping ms.d and forceing him 2 work on them)

also if you like cartoony rts games, spring is the right place to be...nearly all ota models have this cartoony feel to them(see the sily walking, how units look, ect......and my favorite is the arm com's bunny ears)

also, one major diffence with sc and ca/ota is that a noob can pick up sc the game up and play(and enjoy it)...but it takes alot 2 master the game...ota is hard 2 learn and hard 2 master.....& ca is nearly impossible to play properly(for a noob) & hard 2 master

also fast base building is not necessarily a good thing....so what if it takes a bit longer be4 the big battles 2 start, or you have 2 w8 longer 4 something 2 be built.....it's the anticipation and build up that makes it all satisfying(rarity and tons of effort behind it gives it value).....also, fast gameplay also leads 2 easy porking

also plz do something about the beam thing stopping after 10 seconds of building...it just fells wronge when something is building and nothing is happening, i rather have the spray
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Google_Frog wrote:I like the cartoonyness. The differing style also makes things interesting.
see, I think TA is already cartoony. CA just takes it too far and imo sacrifices good graphics for looking appealing to four yearolds

I mean, the spring engine lasers look better than ca pewpew lasers
Mav

Post by Mav »

Pxtl wrote:I *like* CA's cartoony look. Every RTS is brown grimdark these days, so a game of vibrant colours and cartoony buttons is a refreshing change. I just wish it were more consistently applied.

Here's the deal though: the reason most RTS are brown grimdark is because people like that. It's what I (personally) expect from the game and how I enjoy it.

Don't chose an artistic style that appeals to a very small demographic and then complain about a small playerbase.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:I like the cartoonyness. The differing style also makes things interesting.
see, I think TA is already cartoony. CA just takes it too far and imo sacrifices good graphics for looking appealing to four yearolds

I mean, the spring engine lasers look better than ca pewpew lasers
I agree that the Core pewpews look bad. I'd love to see them get replaced with the rapidfire laser from the Razor's Kiss. Imho that's the only Core laser that looks good.
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

Mav wrote: Here's the deal though: the reason most RTS are brown grimdark is because people like that. It's what I (personally) expect from the game and how I enjoy it.
+1
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Here are my personal opinions:

I, like Pxtl, like CA's cartoony style. It's refreshing, and reworking the RTS to be grimdark is simply unfeasible.

CA's faster pace is one of the primary reasons I like the game more than BA. It allows a much wider range of creativity and different tactics, and a player's ability to adapt and recover becomes supremely important.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You could just include some full-screen shaders to make it grimdark. On first load, pop up a toggle screen with the two options...

1. Cartoony
2. Grimdark (Performance Intensive)
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

We certainly do not want grimdark. Just modern sci-fi style. Matching mr.d because thats what we've got.

Return to “Zero-K”