user interface - Page 2

user interface

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: user interface

Post by Satirik »

iceui is best and by far ... you can customize everything just by hitting ctrl+f11, move resize, change number of column/row for build/order icons, change the number of line in the chat, the number of scrolling lines etc etc etc etc, you can see metal/energie/ping/cpu/ressources for every players at the same time etc, and it doesn't look like a huge mess made by a dozen of players not talking to each other
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

But it does not work with CA :)
You wont get correct data for CA in ice..
and chili also has resizable/movable components and all are configurable - through settings.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

and why is it not working?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Read my previous post, because CA has to hack engine to allow its features like overdrive, pylons, communism etc..
R-TEAM

Post by R-TEAM »

Hi,

would it be not more logic to change the engine to dont MUSST hack it
to give the CA things to work.
With engine conform working of the CA stuff - all UIs would work with it and we are ALL can happy play CA .....
(besides i would lovely see an Update of IceUI with "per mod config save"
and possibility to have more than 2 resources -for Gundam as example to make it more perfect ;) )
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Licho wrote:Chili gui has movable and resizable components with docking which remember position, unfortunately its not clear how to move items (drag top of the window) - its all simply unfinished.
Unless they are specified to be not resizable, like chili tip & selection.

Making components only changeable in tweak mode might be an idea.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Its not possible R-team if games are variable enough. It's like demanding FPS game to have same GUI as RTS game..
You don't have pylons in in BA, you don't have 1:1:1 resource ratios in non CA games etc..
Anyone can code GUI for CA, but don't expect existing stuff tailored for BA to work in CA too.. We simply cannot modify hundreds of third party widgets to work for CA.

Default CA GUI is not perfect, but its playable, I'm using those defaults all the time. Best way to improve situation is to help coding.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

knorke wrote:well, then at least have one working and one experimental interface.
like a chat that doesnt work...that just shouldnt happen.
If you're talking about the autohide problem, this is fixed in latest test.
ScarySquirrel

Flamewar GO!

Post by ScarySquirrel »

If this is a UI flamewar count me in.
Still haven't picked a side yet though.
The gesture menu used to scare me, but not anymore.
I like it because I have to click less, there's less clutter, and it has hotkeys pre-installed.
The selections on top of both the tooltips and the bottom three leftside menubuttons, and bugs, not design errors, bugs in the chat? not so much. My hard drive failed, I lost my backup USB drive five minutes ago, and I enter this from a LiveCD. Also something about my dog. Otherwise I would screenshot that. I think my ticket for it has a screenshot... idk.

I don't like CA's new GUI, but I can make out its goal, which is alright.
I mean, fuck, this is the first mod I would say that actually HAS a full GUI.
The fact that Spring has a different program for multiplayer perplexes most of my frinends to begin with.
A gui where I can tell them "click Menu->Button->Checkbox->..." ingame to change shit or quit the game, instead of telling them a bunch of keyboard shortcuts is a huge relief.
My cousin was watching over my shoulder while I was testing CA and I got the impression that he pitied me slightly less.

Maybe I won't get those "looks," or awkward pauses over the phone as much when it's my turn to pick the game.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Perhaps presenting more specific complaints and citing your resolution/hardware will make fixing things easier. :wink:
where do should i even start?
since the last months whenever i played ca the new stuff onscreen made me go fffuuuuu.
and some stuff directly affects gameplay, like dropping fps (because of some interface stuff, like srsly now) and at start, flipping through buildmenu is laggy (only in ca)

interface i would like, apart from the bugs etc:
  • no wide borders around stuff that take up space
  • press h to bring share dialog which would also double as playerlist and it would show chat history (i only need playerlist to see who disconnected and see what color a player has, clicking "i need units" is gay)
  • spammed chat is made into one line like (8x) construction vehicle - cant reach location
  • chat lines decay after a few seconds,if nothing is said, no chat is visible (unless you press h)
  • ressource bars = wide, thin, with share sliders
  • the move, target, patrol, fight buttons should be gone.
    nobody clicks "move" in any rts, not even noobs.
    for me, other buttons like reclaim could be removed too but i guess not everybody remember these hotkeys.
  • most of the newer stuff, i find useless for me. like if you select units, it shows a picture with healthbar. i preferd the old textthing that showed health as number and also showed number of units (not having to count images) & experience.
instead i get this:

so as a short time goal, i would be happy if i did not have to test each new release in singleplayer and then have to figure out how to unfuck the clusterfuck.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

First game you've played with a full UI, Scary, not first here.
knorke

Post by knorke »

wat? :shock:
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

knorke finde dich dufte :D
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

First before reading this, you must enable Crude Menu. I can see in your screenshot you disabled it by looking at your widget list.
knorke wrote:no wide borders around stuff that take up space
Sorry
knorke wrote:press h to bring share dialog which would also double as playerlist and it would show chat history
Why H? You like H? This is already doable with the Enter button.
Settings->Interface->Chilichat->Autohide chat.
Settings->Interface->AdvPlayerlist->Autohide playerlist.
knorke wrote:(i only need playerlist to see who disconnected and see what color a player has, clicking "i need units" is gay)
Ctrl+f11 to disable stuff in the advplayerlist.
knorke wrote:spammed chat is made into one line like (8x) construction vehicle - cant reach location
It should already do this, and has been this way since the start. If it's not, something is wrong.
knorke wrote:ressource bars = wide, thin, with share sliders
Make them as wide or thin as you want, they are resizable by dragging the bottom right corner. Share sliders are useless because you share equally to everyone. Use the share slider on advplayerlist to give to the person you choose.
knorke wrote:the move, target, patrol, fight buttons should be gone.
for me, other buttons like reclaim could be removed too but i guess not everybody remember these hotkeys.
Settings->Interface->Spring Build menu-> Minimal layout
knorke wrote:most of the newer stuff, i find useless for me. like if you select units, it shows a picture with healthbar. i preferd the old textthing that showed health as number and also showed number of units (not having to count images) & experience.
The newer stuff is better than the old way. But if you don't like it, you have already disabled it so you should be happy.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Car: I think when he said spammable, he meant the Chili Chat Bubbles, which do have that issue.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

CarRepairer wrote: Settings->Interface->Chilichat->Autohide chat.
You forgot to mention that's not in stable yet.
knorke wrote:most of the newer stuff, i find useless for me. like if you select units, it shows a picture with healthbar. i preferd the old textthing that showed health as number and also showed number of units (not having to count images) & experience.
The newer stuff is better than the old way.
Personal preference.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

knorke wrote:i only need playerlist to see who disconnected and see what color a player has, clicking "i need units" is gay)
I don't need that either, but others might. If you make it optional then...
[*]the move, target, patrol, fight buttons should be gone.
You don't know hotkeys if you play first time.
knorke wrote:Image
The playlist was made to look like a chili widget, but internally still same old widget. Problems:
<[0K]Licho> 1) its not hidden completely you can click invisible controls
<[0K]Licho> 2) it often overflow its chili frame
In test it's back to old look.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

In stable too, atm both chili chat and adv player list are default off.
But you have to delete local widget settings to see defaults.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I just noticed.. lol @ knorke's chat bubbles in his screenie!
Yogzototh

Post by Yogzototh »

My complaint is also that all the shit is way too big. Especially the windows, and they are big in such way that most of their space is vacant anyway.

I had to disable chilichat because of that, now im stuck with the default one. The resource bar is supposed to be above it. Remember the engine resbar, remember how thin it is? Well chili wants none of that. So to make it fit in i have to put half of its window (which is empty anyway) beyond the top border.
Now, since docking always tries to put it back (and make it overlap with the engine chat), i have to disable the docking.
There are also loads of stuff that just repeat itself. Sure i need unit info in my tooltop and at my cursor, and i really cant read the fucking chat until a huge ass bubble blocks half of my fucking screen.

Return to “Zero-K”