Buildbot / Master Branch being fubar'd

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Post by Argh »

For the last 3 months, it seems like we've gone long periods where we can't build the master, mainly related to work in a certain sub-branch.

If it doesn't work on !rebuild, you need to fix your problems or revert, not leave a mess behind you. If you aren't testing that, you need to start doing so, please, instead of assuming that if it works for you, it's working period.

People who are testing things need to see builds that are current, so please don't leave the master broken.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Re: Buildbot / Master Branch being fubar'd

Post by Auswaschbar »

Huh? Master buidls here just fine (and has been for most of the time).
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i think he refers to the time where we had a version of E323AI referenced that did not build with master. that was for quite some time (2 - 3 weeks or so). Though, Argh never asked for help during that time. If he had, we would have told him to just use the noe323ai profile, which built fine.
I also can not remember a time where it was broken for more then a day or so, besides this.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i repeat again:
rts/ExternalAI/Interface/*.h is holy ground, and the very least you have to do when changing stuff there, is compile all AI stuff.

the error you posted Tobi, was fixed by Kloot by adding a comment a few commits ago. There was an other one though. Strangely, it only showed up when compiling under windows, even doh it totally ignored two source files. :/
Argh

Post by Argh »

I tried compiling it last night, and it didn't work. Last working build was a week old at that point. This has happened several times over the last three months.

I normally don't cry for help on this issue, if I hit a build that won't compile, because it's usually been a very temporary problem related to merging changesets into the master, but it's been happening pretty consistently lately, so I thought it might be time to say something. I don't want to point any fingers or start any fights about this, I just want to make sure that people are aware that I've seen a trend.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

It compiles, except for some AI.

Code: Select all

Using `/home/mingw32/bin/i386-mingw32msvc-gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED -I/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/rts /home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/rts/icon.rc'
Using popen to read preprocessor output
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp: In member function 'bool ntai::CUBuild::Useless(ntai::CUnitTypeData*)':
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp:126: error: 'const struct UnitDef' has no member named 'isMetalMaker'
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp: In member function 'std::string ntai::CUBuild::GetRANDOM()':
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp:724: error: 'const struct UnitDef' has no member named 'isMetalMaker'
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp: In member function 'std::string ntai::CUBuild::GetMETAL_MAKER()':
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp:1344: error: 'const struct UnitDef' has no member named 'isMetalMaker'
/home/buildserv/spring/src/git.mingw32.cmake{MT}/AI/Skirmish/NTai/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp:1347: error: 'const struct UnitDef' has no member named 'isMetalMaker'
make[2]: *** [AI/Skirmish/NTai/CMakeFiles/NTai.dir/AI/NTai/Helpers/ubuild.cpp.obj] Error 1
make[1]: *** [AI/Skirmish/NTai/CMakeFiles/NTai.dir/all] Error 2
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

NTai is not in master anymore. before it was removed, it was converted into a submodule. most likely you got it back then, and did not remove it yet. i recommend deleting the NTai folder, except you want to maintain it yourself ;-)
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

That's weird because this error log came from buildbot... it must have failed to fetch master correctly.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

? :/
that is indeed strange.
could it be it is from last year or something?
i just built master on the buildbot yesterday, and it went fine.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

!rebuild profile=MT upload=no
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

!rebuild profile=MT_2 upload=no clean=yes
did not work.

!defineProfile cmake MT_2 USE_GML_SIM=true CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELWITHDEBINFO USE_GML=true
!rebuild profile=MT_2 upload=no
worked.
MT_2 has the exact same parameters like MT, but cause its a new profile, it did a fresh clone on the buildbot.

do not hesitate to immediately ask me out, if having problems with AI again.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Interesting, so the clean fails too.

Server admin may need to delete some folders manually.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i told bibim about this. he tried some things.. and it should be better now, but this problem in particular can not be solved through git. there is no way to auto delete sources of removed submodules. we would have to diff the current and the to be checked out version of .gitmodules, and if a submodule was removed, we had to delete the path to it.

bibim also said, if it was possible to delete all the sources of a repo, and do a fresh clone, old debug symbols could not be used anymore with !translate, so it is not an option.

Return to “Engine”