how to download spring - Page 2

how to download spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Hobo Joe

Re: how to download spring

Post by Hobo Joe »

Licho wrote:I hate to break it, but you just have absolutely no clue how it works.
Don't need to, point is I've downloaded several mods with SL and never had an issue - which obviously means it CAN.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Hobo Joe wrote:Don't need to, point is I've downloaded several mods with SL and never had an issue - which obviously means it CAN.
Hobo Joe wrote:Hate to break it to you but SL can download mods perfectly fine
Licho wrote:That means users simply can't auto-get many of these mods, or must download them "torrent mode" - instead of 100kb update they need to download 100MB archive.
Licho wrote:instead of 100kb update they need to download 100MB archive.
Licho wrote:instead of 100kb update they need to download 100MB archive.
You apply your resistance to new and improved ideas in every aspect of Spring. First I remember a while back you were a huge CA basher. Fine. Then even within BA there are people recently trying to update and enhance just the graphics and you were harassing them. Now you carry this hardheadedness over to lobby clients. I admire your consistency. Ironically you're not much of a hobo as you seem to want to stay rooted in old ways. :P
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

CarRepairer wrote: You apply your resistance to new and improved ideas in every aspect of Spring. First I remember a while back you were a huge CA basher. Fine. Then even within BA there are people recently trying to update and enhance just the graphics and you were harassing them. Now you carry this hardheadedness over to lobby clients. I admire your consistency. Ironically you're not much of a hobo as you seem to want to stay rooted in old ways. :P
Change is evil!

Surprised you remember me going after CA though, lol. The only reason I did is because it was moving in a direction where it looked like it might replace BA and I wanted the biggest mod to be something I liked, and I wasn't a big fan of where CA was going.

I don't trash it anymore though, so long as it doesn't threaten what I like I'm all good. D:

I'm not trashing SD or Licho though, It just bugs me how he says stuff that's not true, like "SL can't download mods properly".... It can. If you mean something more specific then say it more specifically.

I don't hate all new things, just a lot of them. :D
And who says hobos aren't resistant to change? :cry:
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

But it is true!
Some mods are only on rapid - got it?
SL cannot use rapid - got it?
IT CANNOT DOWNLOAD ALL MODS SD CAN - got it?

At this point I would have guessed you are retarded, but knowing you, I believe you are just trolling.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Licho wrote:But it is true!
Some mods are only on rapid - got it?
SL cannot use rapid - got it?
IT CANNOT DOWNLOAD ALL MODS SD CAN - got it?

At this point I would have guessed you are retarded, but knowing you, I believe you are just trolling.
Partially serious partially trolling. I knew what you were saying that there were a couple mods that SL couldn't download but I didn't like the way you said it. Also, to the best of my understanding (Could be wrong) but that's not even a problem with SL but actually the mod developers.

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I have no problem with SD at all, in fact it sounds pretty nice, I just don't like when words are skewed to make it sound like something else doesn't work at all when it works perfectly fine.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

it shouldnt be up to satrik wether or not tasclient is in the spring package, if it works, we should have it included.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Spawn_Retard wrote:it shouldnt be up to satrik wether or not tasclient is in the spring package, if it works, we should have it included.
The thing is, there is no "Spring TASClient". This is what Satrik said. He asked to stop cause what was it wasn't update to the latest version, and thus he decided 1 download spot was fine enough. In the end, its his program, not Springs, and thus the lobby client we have with download(or really Clients with SDLobby) is SpringLobby, which Spring has control over.

If you want TASClient, go get it, its out there, easy to fetch. Whining about it will get your nowhere.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

SpringLobby is not under Spring Developer control, actually. But they do want to be included in the installer, so they are.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

neddiedrow wrote:SpringLobby is not under Spring Developer control, actually. But they do want to be included in the installer, so they are.
Ah my bad there, but my point mostly still stands.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Evo, and CA, as well as a few others iirc are only available via rapid (a la SD).

For Evo, and jsut about any other game out there for spring, rapid is just about the only realistic way to go. You can make instant patches and updates.

I remember when working on EE, fang would end up changing a few unitdef values, and then we would all have to wait while his slow ass connection uploaded the entire game again. Fail.

Stop trolling kids.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Forboding Angel wrote:Evo, and CA, as well as a few others iirc are only available via rapid (a la SD).
A CA archive is available on springfiles but rapid is preferred way.
Edit: see det's post below.
Last edited by SirMaverick on 14 Apr 2010, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

No its not, its developers are too lazy to upload it 80% of time.
det

Post by det »

http://packages.caspring.org/builds/ is always available for stable releases at least.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Satrik maintains the tasclient project, he does not own anything to clear this up.

People need competition to get the best out of the lobbies are available.

People download the installer and prompted with downloading springlobby, why would they ever change or think there is any competition?

1 download link should be enough yeah, it should be in the installer link.

I prefer tasclient for many personal reason that i know people may not agree with, but at the end of the day without me knowing of tasclient before all this happened, there would have been no way of me knowing about it.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

As was pointed out before

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 12#p409812
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21942

Satirik has placed (albeit playername-targetted) code into his lobby, and has delayed (or never actually released) the code for the lobby for the version which would do that.

I am not sure about TASC license, but it would be very unwise for the spring engine to put their users in danger of anything similar hapenning again, when it was proven that it can happen with such a developer.

I am not saying that this cant happen with SL, but TASC already did it, and, unlike SL, TASC is ENTIRELY maintained by ONLY satirik, and noone else, which, is, again, a problem.

And this is comparing the two lobbies with their features aside.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Spawn_Retard wrote:People need competition to get the best out of the lobbies are available.
I disagree, in my experience most people (who are not that experienced users) are confused by options and choices and they make for an unfinished and deterring experience.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

==Troy== wrote:Satirik has placed (albeit playername-targetted) code into his lobby, and has delayed (or never actually released) the code for the lobby for the version which would do that.

I am not sure about TASC license, but it would be very unwise for the spring engine to put their users in danger of anything similar hapenning again, when it was proven that it can happen with such a developer.

I am not saying that this cant happen with SL, but TASC already did it, and, unlike SL, TASC is ENTIRELY maintained by ONLY satirik, and noone else, which, is, again, a problem.
SD has never targeted any player names and also has a team of several people.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

CarRepairer wrote: SD has never targeted any player names and also has a team of several people.

Exactly the point I am trying to make.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

==Troy== wrote:unlike SL, TASC is ENTIRELY maintained by ONLY satirik, and noone else, which, is, again, a problem.
a problem for what ?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Satirik wrote:
==Troy== wrote:unlike SL, TASC is ENTIRELY maintained by ONLY satirik, and noone else, which, is, again, a problem.
a problem for what ?
For the users, which expect the program to not crash because the maintainer doesn't like specific users. Or to not uninstall itself and install something different on its own.

Return to “General Discussion”