how to download spring

how to download spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Scratch

how to download spring

Post by Scratch »

Twice now after reinstalling windows I've come to this site to download spring. None of these installers seem to include TASClient. TASClient is the only one I am comfortable running... I've installed several links off the download page and still haven't gotten a running version of the game on my system

Is it because spring lobby is the norm? becuase I don't like it. can someone link me to a working version of Spring with TASClient as a front end, thanks.
SinbadEV

Re: how to download spring

Post by SinbadEV »

Scratch wrote:Twice now after reinstalling windows I've come to this site to download spring. None of these installers seem to include TASClient. TASClient is the only one I am comfortable running... I've installed several links off the download page and still haven't gotten a running version of the game on my system

Is it because spring lobby is the norm? becuase I don't like it. can someone link me to a working version of Spring with TASClient as a front end, thanks.
NO.

The maintainer of TASClient requested that it be removed from the installer... there is a link on the download page to download TASClient. Install the latest spring, install the latest TASClient, tadah!
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Here's what I (used to) do: Download new Spring installer, install Spring. Install Spring from my very old Spring installer and only tick install TASC.

Now I download portable Spring as Spring has taken to storing crap all over the place (eg springsettings.cfg). With this method I can simply copy TASC over with the lobby folder.

I use old TASC as long as it doesn't crash (too badly) with the current Spring version as I've noticed updates often add crashes.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

http://tasclient.licho.eu/

Contains latest tasclient.
Machete234

Post by Machete234 »

Why isnt tasclient and only tasclient in the spring package?
It works best.
Why does springdownloader have a new mini lobby now?

Its hard for new people to install this.
Give the people a package that just runs and not 3 lobbies.
That would be spring+tas+springdownloader and the rest gets downloaded when joining a game.

When I started nothing really worked, springlobby couldnt update, I couldnt get maps and mods automatically.
And that was the official package from the site.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Scratch wrote:Twice now after reinstalling windows I've come to this site to download spring. None of these installers seem to include TASClient.
My Kernel Panic installer includes TASClient. But it was moved from "Download" wiki page to Games Downloads wiki page.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Machete234 wrote:Why isnt tasclient and only tasclient in the spring package?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 12#p409812
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21942
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Machete234 wrote:Why isnt tasclient and only tasclient in the spring package?
It works best.
Why does springdownloader have a new mini lobby now?

Its hard for new people to install this.
Give the people a package that just runs and not 3 lobbies.
That would be spring+tas+springdownloader and the rest gets downloaded when joining a game.

When I started nothing really worked, springlobby couldnt update, I couldnt get maps and mods automatically.
And that was the official package from the site.

The installer comes with Spring and SpringLobby. SD doesn't need to be a part of that, it just complicates things, seeing as SL already has a very good integrated downloader.

The official installer worked fine for me and everyone else who I've convinced to install Spring. :/
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Hobo Joe wrote:SL doesn't need to be a part of that, it just complicates things, seeing as SD already has a very good integrated downloader.
Perhaps you're right, but let's not rule out anything yet.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

CarRepairer wrote:
Hobo Joe wrote:SL doesn't need to be a part of that, it just complicates things, seeing as SD already has a very good integrated downloader.
Perhaps you're right, but let's not rule out anything yet.
:roll:
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

thank you. whoever made the original TASClient gave his program to the spring community. as far as I am concerned it should be issued with the main download. I don't know what else to say, except TASclient allows you to zoom and rotate onto map previews which was a cool feature.

i get the feeling something slippery is going on behind the scenes with this lobby
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, part of the difference is that SpringLobby, for all its faults, is written using a more standard, cross-platform language. This means that it can be used on non-Windows systems. It also means it is less prone to getting abandoned when a developer can no longer spend time on it. It also has the SpringSettings system integrated into it. It is, for all intents and purposes, the official Spring lobby.

Do either SpringLobby or TASC include support for Rapid yet? There's a good reason for using SD.

Also, SpringDownloader's lobby is very different from the SL or TASC ones - the intent with the SD lobby is that it functions as a quickmatching system instead of a full-fledged lobby system.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Also SL actually needs SD to process files before they can be downloaded ...

SL has only partial implementation of downloading system (missing rapid and missing registration of new resources).
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Licho wrote:Also SL actually needs SD to process files before they can be downloaded ...

SL has only partial implementation of downloading system (missing rapid and missing registration of new resources).
My SL downloads files all the time without using SD. Unless you're saying part of SD comes with SL, but I'm fairly sure(could be wrong) that SL had its own downloader before SD was made.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

if the auto download function on SL actually works for once, I will completely forgive those faults because thats the biggest issue with any client. I'm not quite sure why it doesn't work on TASClient but almost never did.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

It does not "work".
It works in torrent mode only - and ONLY for files which were previously registered into system by SpringDownloader.

Second mode is Rapid - which provides very fast incremental updates of mods. SL has no implementation of this part at all.
That means users simply can't auto-get many of these mods, or must download them "torrent mode" - instead of 100kb update they need to download 100MB archive.

System uses central server to keep per piece hashes of all files and spring metadata: http://planet-wars.eu/PlasmaServer/
Only SpringDownloader is currently capable of adding new files there.
If file is not on plasmaserver, SL wont download it.

In short:
SL cannot download mods properly.
SL cannot add new files to system.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Licho wrote: In short:
SL cannot download mods properly.
SL cannot add new files to system.
Hate to break it to you but SL can download mods perfectly fine, no need to trash and app just because you made one that competes with it.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I hate to break it, but you just have absolutely no clue how it works.

As I said, SL can download SOME mods in torrent mode. Try joining SA or Gundam and tell me then.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Tbh that just means that if SA or Gundam devs want people be able to download their mod with the most widely used lobby they should make it available thru the torrent system, which should/would mean no more than uploading to jobjol (if jj was cooperating?).
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Problem is, torrent mode is not incremental. So for mods which are updating its very clumsy.

Either you have to download full archive again, or you have to mess with mutators.

Return to “General Discussion”