OMG STOP OVERUSING LUA

OMG STOP OVERUSING LUA

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

OMG STOP OVERUSING LUA

Post by TradeMark »

I just found out some idiot made a map thats built on lua, even the basic file error checking is made out of lua (if file exists etc).

Now we cant even make a map list without running spring.exe on each map to get the correct map data settings.

You guys rock!
Last edited by TradeMark on 04 Apr 2010, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
TradeMark

Re: OMG STOP USING LUA

Post by TradeMark »

I therefore suggest to myself that we start using replay format thats depended on the map lua and the mod lua and its based on lua completely.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You should've known the lua dependency was iminent, everything these days is lua, TDF is deprecated.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Do you even understand that if maps are made out of lua, and spring version changes, you have to update your fucking map if something was changed in spring that you use in your map lua.

I hate you guys, i really do. You want to make Spring engine with lua.
AF
AI Developer

Re: OMG STOP OVERUSING LUA

Post by AF »

That has never happened and we have had this feature for little over a year now. All thats changed is the files are exactly the same but in lua table syntax

A lot of game engines use lua, all that's happening here is your throwing a hissy fit because now your finally forced to deal with parsing lua files even though you've known for years that this was coming.

Pick up your toys and get back in the pram already
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I find your sites very useful, but i also like lua in maps and mods. I would like to help port this stuff to make it compatible with your site. Got a repo for your site or any other form of source?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

You could do that in the spring source code, like the mod reader was done, will help anyone else too then.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Do what in the spring source code, load a lua file and parse the results? It already does that.

And stop expecting people to use a file format that spring itself doesn't understand.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lurker wrote:Do what in the spring source code, load a lua file and parse the results? It already does that.

And stop expecting people to use a file format that spring itself doesn't understand.
nvm, if you have no idea of what im talking, then nvm
knorke

Post by knorke »

i tried trolling on that subject before but my thread got deleted in like 30 seconds :shock:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Go play TA3D...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

you guys have no idea how file formats should be designed and used...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

nothing to see here just another trademark baaaw thread about LUA hoping if he rages devs will bow to his will cos he cbb to accept LUA even though it is improving spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

His entire lua baw is because he doesn't want to implement lua parsing in his websites mod and map handling code
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Otherside wrote:nothing to see here just another trademark baaaw thread about LUA hoping if he rages devs will bow to his will cos he cbb to accept LUA even though it is improving spring.
false.
AF wrote:His entire lua baw is because he doesn't want to implement lua parsing in his websites mod and map handling code
false.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

TradeMark wrote:you guys have no idea how file formats should be designed and used...
We couldn't be arsed to bother with XML when Lua could already produce perfectly usable data files with the added bonus of allowing functions to compute or change values on the fly.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

XML OMGGGGG

you are from hell.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

So you want us to standardize on a custom proprietary format with limitations and potential Atari IP problems?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This page is generated using lua from the unit definition files and shows all the units and their descriptions.

http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/UnitGuide
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

AF wrote:So you want us to standardize on a custom proprietary format with limitations and potential Atari IP problems?
there is no limitations in adding new features in the formats.
CarRepairer wrote:This page is generated using lua from the unit definition files and shows all the units and their descriptions.

http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/UnitGuide
offtopic.

Return to “General Discussion”