Spring is ugly?

Spring is ugly?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Spring is ugly?

Post by CarRepairer »

Spring is ugly?

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p420205
Hobo Joe wrote:I'm mainly bringing this up because whenever I show someone Spring their first reaction is "wow, that's ugly". So it'd be nice to have some prettier models, but I wouldn't want to play this without the great visual style that transfered from TA, as well as things like familiar unit names.
Please don't intentionally give Spring a bad rep.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Spring is ugly?

Post by zwzsg »

Spring is BA. BA is TA. TA is 13 years old.

13 years ago RTS weren't as pretty as now.

The effort of indiviual like Azaremoth or SpikeHelmet are irrelevant 'cause, like you quoted, they aren't TA. Any effort to make better models still TA inspired are doomed as well, cause if they were pretty, then they wouldn't the same!

So BA Spring is, and will be, ugly. There is nothing you can do about it, except opening up to other ''games''

I'm not quite sure even the best looking Spring ''games'' can compete with the prettiest 2010 RTS release though. But at least they'll only look half as old as the TA stuff.

While Spring ''content developpers'' should of course aim at the best graphical quality attainable, it's unlikely they could run up with commercial title anyway. Instead, other mean of differentiation should be seeked:
  • Better gameplay! Gameplay is ill defined, so it's easy to claim your games has a better one. It works even the shittiest indie games to clamor better gameplay and then have everything else excused.
  • Better interface! If we undestand "better" in the sense of "more powerful" instead of "prettier", then Spring has an interface that was and still is ahead of the competition. Try building on the strength instead of rehashing the weak points.
  • Moar content! The average *A game has way more units in the tech tree than your regular commercial RTS (not counting those with parts you assemble.) You've got air, sea, underwater, hover, walkers, tracked, each with not one or two representant, but a whole factory buildmenu of it, and then it's doubled by having L1 and L2. Instead of reckoning individual models aren't that pretty, insist on how rich the unit choice is.
  • Simulation/physic anchored gameplay: Commercial RTS are pretty, but the prettyness is just a layer of puff and smoke over simplistic mechanics. For instance how many RTS do you know where wrecks are not just pretty effects that vanish after a couple seconds, but double as cover and resources?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Kernel Panic ROCKS!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

For instance, one should not say:
- Kernel Panic models are ugly basic shapes.
but:
- Kernel Panic went for a stylish retro look.
knorke

Post by knorke »

still many parts of spring/its game appear very "techdemo like" or seem to be done "for the lolz"
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

XTA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Commercial games restrict the amount you can zoom in, BA looks fine at a normal level of zoom.

Fine = not beautiful or innovative or cutting edge but certainly not ugly.

We are extremely luckily we don't have to listen to focus groups and marketing types trying to force style over content.
knorke

Post by knorke »

few animations, no idle animations in any spring game ive played.
some maps look like a microsoft paint texture floating in space (cometcatcher...)
features and trees hardly ever seem to fit the landscape, look like thrown in.

i think kp has the most "complete" look because of adequate map that fit the graphic style. but the grid/lines on the map are problematic because in some views/zoom they do moiere artefacts or whatever its called. (lines blurring into each other and looking strange)
knorke

Post by knorke »

oh, and not directly graphic quality but related:
some maps are so large in filesize but still do not look that spectacular while some shooters have smaller maps with 3D geometry, sounds and custom textures that also look ok close up.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

I think we all know he was talking about SPRING LOBBY

use tasclient newbs
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

How is spring ugly? Spring has no content, so how can it be ugly? It isnt anything!
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

BA or well *A mods do look like ass.

It just looks less like ass on a good looking map.

So yeh BA is ugly if people played other mods they could see spring isn't that ugly game wise (maps can make a shit looking mod, look better)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

AF wrote:How is spring ugly? Spring has no content, so how can it be ugly? It isnt anything!
The code could be ugly.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

1) art is a reflection of society
2) spring is a form of art
3) society is made up of people
4) people criticize spring
5) people are ugly
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

If i had to choose between supcom models and OTA models, i would take OTA models: theyre not all same color :|

Nevertheless OTA model designers were geniuses. They look good on any distance.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

well... not up super close, you see a lot of distortion in the texture.

but medium-to-far overhead, they look really good for sure.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I was just passing along what I've heard from others. I think spring looks fine, the *A mods mostly look a little dated but I honestly don't care, they look fine from zoom, and the unit design is quality, and the gameplay is great. But show people this and tell me what their reaction is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mKhQD2SVqw

I've shown it to like 20 people and they all say the same things: old, ugly, bad, etc.

And yes, gameplay is a million times more important than graphics, and I couldn't care less what it looks like if it plays good, BUT, keep in mind that graphics are first-impression. If it looks bad people will be far less inclined to try it out than if it looks good. Gameplay comes first but graphics shouldn't be ignored for that reason. Better looking = more people willing to try it.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hey, the video is pretty good... but really, its just showing 13 year old models for the first part, not to hate, but there is a lot more out there to impress visually if that's what you're after

for example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDM_R4CZFC0
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

KaiserJ wrote:1) art is a reflection of society
2) spring is a form of art
3) society is made up of people
4) people criticize spring
5) people are ugly
Pure genious. UR HIERD!!!!