Balanced Annihilation Reloaded - Page 5

Balanced Annihilation Reloaded

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

Tronic

Re: Balanced Annihilation Reloaded

Post by Tronic »

Also I would use simply CamelCase for unit names, reserving underscores for categories.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Notes about build buttons/pics:
  • Everything should be easily identifiable (buildpics should look like the actual units)
  • High color and full antialiasing (some of the current ones look like GIFs straight from 1997)
  • Ground/water structures could be buildable using the same button (might require adjusting costs of some water buildings to match those of land versions)
  • The build pic should display the unit movement type e.g. amphibious coming out of water, or hover with split ground/water surface under it
  • The primary feature of the unit should be displayed (e.g. stealth tank split image with cloak on/off)
  • Scale - should larger units appear larger in the pictures? (perhaps not fully to scale, but somewhat at least)
  • Animations [when hovering mouse]? (good eyecandy)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

sounds like you got some good ideas tronic; why not lend a hand to BAR?
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to spare. Still, best of luck with the project, it seems most useful. Keeping BA as it is and simply fixing the surface appears to be the way to go (I am a bit disappointed of CA, even though it does work as a nice testing ground for new ideas).
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Tronic wrote:
  • Ground/water structures could be buildable using the same button (might require adjusting costs of some water buildings to match those of land versions)
There's a script that does this for BA already, could also be used for this.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Tronic wrote:Also I would use simply CamelCase for unit names, reserving underscores for categories.
The engine convert to lower case all unit names.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lol would be stupid to write capitalized words just to make it look cool...
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Hobo Joe wrote:
Tronic wrote:
There's a script that does this for BA already, could also be used for this.
yeah but it also does an annoying switch between solars and windgens. Takes a little bit of modification.

I combined it with licho's mouse gestures and its very cool!
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Any progress with the mod? It has been pretty quiet around here :(
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

We're a community that get great ideas, inspiration and have a night or so where we feel really motivated to do lots of work and start a new project, then the day after, you're like "Meh, cba, play games, youtube, bored cba." ...
Regret

Post by Regret »

I did say it's a community project, also I'm playing starcraft 2 beta atm. :regret:
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

20 models assembled; also once lego 2 is ready i will be devoting more time to this.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

is this more or less likely to be released before AA?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

it will be released after duke nukem forever
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

How faithful to the old units is this gonna be btw? Unit sizes, weapon placement, weapon unpacking animations, wreck size etc.

Can make pretty big difference to gameplay if changed.
Gedanken

Post by Gedanken »

Are there enough models in OTA mods that can be taken and used for these? There may be some units that are functionally identical to BA units that could be used. I don't know, maybe there is bad blood between OTA modders and Spring people (I am thinking of Lemmi's liberty-taking as an example), but there may be plenty of modders willing to support this by donating their models. I am thinking of some of the stuff on sites like this:

http://rakrent.com/rtsc/html/ta4.htm

http://units.tauniverse.com/

It would mean a lot of time spent carefully selecting and making choices that balance distinction and uniformity and of course, a requisite of both functional similarity and lack of shitness. The upshot of this process would be that there are less new models needed, the downside being that this would not 'modernise' BA

Actually I think Fat was working on a remake of BA. Maybe he has that animu screenshot he can show us all? ;U
JohannesH wrote:
Mav wrote:First, Halo is a FPS. I think you meant RPS?
'Real Person Shooter'
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I made a R.P.S. the week before last.

Gedanken wrote:Are there enough models in OTA mods that can be taken and used for these? There may be some units that are functionally identical to BA units that could be used.
Bad idea:
- Just because it's a fan-made modification, doesn't mean its free to grab and reuse for any purpose.
- TA modders could have quitted 8 years ago. Good luck tracing them back to get their agreement to reuse their units.
- They still use TA textures (but then, there was a compatible texture replacment pack, IIRC?).
- They are very low quality. In TA fixed resolution, top down view, it may not show too much, but once imported Spring, all their flaws will be glaring : missing faces, ultra-low polyness, broken animations, misplaced fire points, ...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Regret still wants to make BAR ? is it still 'running'? im ready to remodel whole arm with Kaiser (he doesnt know it yet >:) )

do we need new arm logo either ?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

edit : with lots of new modellers, maybe it would be worth making claims on models
Regret

Post by Regret »

Wombat wrote:Regret still wants to make BAR ? is it still 'running'? im ready to remodel whole arm with Kaiser (he doesnt know it yet >:) )

do we need new arm logo either ?
Yep it's still running, and will be for a long time.

Yes new logo's are needed for both sides.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”