Valve viral stuff going on (Portal 2 announced!) - Page 3

Valve viral stuff going on (Portal 2 announced!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Hobo Joe

Re: Valve viral stuff going on

Post by Hobo Joe »

Das Bruce wrote:Did they say anything interesting about it?
Nope. There were some hints in the news update though, and some people managed to get more stuff from the BBS server. Nothing significant afaik though.

I'm pretty sure they'll make a few big announcements at GDC though.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I forget where I read it but apparently there is going to be a co-operative multiplayer campaign in addition to a completely different single player campaign.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Also, it will be full-game price, so they will (hopefully) make an attempt to justify that. You know what I'm getting at...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Portal was fun because it was new and pretty creative.
I hope this millking attempt that is gonna be called Portal 2 is gonna at least attempt to make something that feels original.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Valve's never milked anything before.

Well, except Gabe Newell, but that's a legitimate health thing, his teats could explode if they don't keep that up.

And L4D2. But, besides that... everything they've made has been solid gold and more than value for your money. With Portal they just basically copied and expanded on a concept another company had done but it's plainly obvious to anyone with an imagination that there's tons more potential. Try downloading some of the unofficial level packs!

Maybe more importantly, EP2 strongly hinted towards a Portal crossover, and some of the viral stuff has seemed to be that direction as well. Apparently there's a voiceover by Alyx somewhere in all that mess. So Portal 2 could be seen as Episode 3 if that proves to be the case, which means... HALF LIFE 3!

I'm stretching a bit but damn I'd go for cryo-freezing if it meant I could emerge in a world with HL3 in stores.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

the ventrillo and irc of facepunch and somethingawful are the only sites that got any real content.

i followed it religously, best 3 days of my life for quite a while now.

12/10 for valve, made me interested in portal 2 (which is co-op and possibly a beta from the info we aquired) and put my faith back in the donut man gabe.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Caydr wrote:With Portal they just basically copied and expanded on a concept another company had done but it's plainly obvious to anyone with an imagination that there's tons more potential.
It goes quite a bit deeper than this. Valve actually hired the guys, students by the way, who made Narbacular Drop to make Portal. http://jeepbarnett.com/nuclearmonkeysof ... ws.html?34
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Decimator wrote:
Caydr wrote:With Portal they just basically copied and expanded on a concept another company had done but it's plainly obvious to anyone with an imagination that there's tons more potential.
It goes quite a bit deeper than this. Valve actually hired the guys, students by the way, who made Narbacular Drop to make Portal. http://jeepbarnett.com/nuclearmonkeysof ... ws.html?34
Thank you Deci. No, Valve did not copy a concept another company had done. They hired the game design students who built the original game concept to work at valve. This is how I became friends with a valve employee.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Yup. That's how Valve got Team Fortress as well.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”