CORE T-1 Aircraft

CORE T-1 Aircraft

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

CORE T-1 Aircraft

Post by MR.D »

I'm going to use this post as a group release, and just post up each aircraft as I finish them.

I thought I would start with the Bladewing.

412 triangles so far, might try to cut it down even more since I know its a spammed unit.

Same will go for most of these T1 units, I want to keep their polycounts down as these get spammed more than the T2 units and will be more common in average games.

I went with a sealed turbofan design on it instead of the easy road with Anti-grav, I was thinking of having a pivoting rotor but it was costing way to many poly for such a simple unit.

Attachments
bladewing_test1.jpg
(227.68 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
bladewing_test2.jpg
(119.07 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: CORE T-1 Aircraft

Post by SeanHeron »

Very nice!
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Looks good, one little quibble would be the gun at the front? If it pivots and can point down for fireing then ignore this, otherweise it might look a bit odd as bladewings tend to fire at a 45 - 90 degree angle (at the ground).
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Design looks nice! Like the turbofan thing, its good to have large, moving elements to keep interest: Too many plane and building models are just static lumps, i really adhere to the OTA ethic that everything should have some kind of functioning, moving part (folding wings, turning jets, etc).

Just to keep you abreast of previous effort in the area of Air models (Of varying quality).

CA has a bladewing replacement. It rockets around on its little jets and then the middle part flips open to reveal the gun.

Its a very different design so its not exactly duplicating effort here, and it uses the very simplistic white-and-teamcolour Nova texture style (Which isnt going to make it into 1faction because all the good models use something closer to your style, even the spherebot, and thats a better aesthetic- the Nova style was just to make it easier on our crappy texture artists while still making the whole thing stylistically coherent).
CA also has a banshee:
Brawler:
Fighter:
Con (from the PSG TA stuff, though the model doesnt actually look that great):
Rapier (PSG TA):
Blackdawn (Heavy Gunship)
Fighters from PressureLine
ImageImage
And various bombers and radar planes:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The Core Fighter is the only really high quality one, its a third party s3o unit. The tan-coloured plane isnt bad either, its an Azaremoth (Edit: Oops, origionally said Cremuss) one. Most everything else has design flaws, low quality or unfinished textures, or a very simple underlying geometry. Most are also of the static lump school, so your work is certainly still going to get used and appreciated by the CA team.
Last edited by Saktoth on 27 Feb 2010, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Very nice bladewing.
Maybe this could be cooler and more appropriate for the model than the tank barrel?

In the point the arms meet u could have a small sphere or just empty space and from that point the emp beam will be emitted.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Its an aircaft, you dont pivot the turret, you pivot the whole thing

We have plenty of aircraft that use thsi kind of weapons mechanism without pivoting turrets and they work fine
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

AF is right, which is why I initially wanted to do a pivoting fanpod for Helicopter pitch/roll characteristics.

That would keep the fan level while the airframe was aiming at targets for combat or flight or both, but it was costing me too many polies for what the model needs to be.

Almost all gunships follow that same method, of just aiming the whole body at the target while strafing around to dodge, and it works fine.

With the nose cannon, yeah a sphere weapon pod would work fine too and allow for a firing arc, but I wanted to keep a small resemblance to the old Bladewing so it wasn't 100% alien.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Looks really nice man, i'd say keep the current red and black colour for it. Keep up the good work
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i never liked ca drone, looks like flying microwave :D
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

Wombat wrote:i never liked ca drone, looks like flying microwave :D
I think it's quite cool, espacially the way it flies...
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

btw, I have the bladewing's fan blades setup for variable pitch.

I was wondering if it would tax a game too much if the final unit was able to use the feature, as it ascends/descends for the blades to change angle via script.

Its not like it will make a huge difference if that gets left out, but just that I have the .s3o unit setup so that its possible.

Would it be a better idea just to leave the blades as fixed to the central fan to keep things simpler?

The texture is almost done, just a few more parts to finish and a bit of shading and its ready to go.

Attachments
bladewing_tex2.jpg
(174 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
bladewing_tex1.jpg
(307.12 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

The biggest obstacle to making this happen is probably laziness. :P
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Possible, yes, detect ground height and changes in ground height the way the suspension script does it, to figure out how fast its moving up and down, that should be possible.

Not worth it on such a tiny model though, IMO.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

simply nom nom nom

u was worried about lags caused by mass drones if im not wrong, i think they would look cool without the rear engine
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

When its such a small unit, I wonder if some of the fine details on the texture will just look like some blur when you look at any reasonable distance?
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Yeah those details will wash out fast on it, even the teamcolor will be hard to pickup at average gameplay zoom, that doesn't mean there is less effort to put into it though :-)

With the blades it would still be neat for landing/repair and when it flies away from the Construction lab, its those little things that add up to coolness IMO.
Gota

Post by Gota »

awesome,very corish.
Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

Image similar
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

sexy
whats that from?
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

OK, everything is finished on the model guys.

I need some help though with the fan blades before I release this though.

I'm using the Euler Upspring version to compile the model, and am having some difficulty with the blade objects holding their position.

Basically I'm using 1 blade object, then cloning it and rotating each blade in position around the central pivot object for the fan.

Each time I set the blades, they hold their new rotation # until I save it, and once I do, each blade's rotation is reset to 0 instead of holding its new rotated origin after I reload the model.

It then loses its facing, and I can't get the blades to rotate for pitch correctly.

I would rather have them rotated from the start, instead of them each being force rotated to their positions by a script.

The 6 blades are setup for 60 degree increments,
0(north)
-60(northwest)
-120(southwest)
+60(northeast)
+120(southeast)
+180(south)

In order for them to pitch correctly, they need to have those correct origins.

Any ideas guys?

Return to “Art & Modelling”