Concept art unit sketches

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Does anyone know where I can find that concept art for Arm/Core units that sombody had hand drawn from an above perspective?

I can't seem to find it anywhere or even references to it.

Sombody had actually released a set of Air units based on it at one time, but I can't even find that.

It had a ton of units all in a futuristic style, and I was looking for some inspiration from that before I look for outside sources as it was a great compilation.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Concept art unit sketches

Post by KaiserJ »

i believe thesleepless was the one... not 100% sure on that though, but i think i remember the pic you mentioned and it was a very nice clean faction design
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

was this the one you were looking for
the CA Guys seem to have compiled a good list of concept arts (s'where I found that itchstudios link)
http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/ConceptArt
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Thats the one, thanks Sinbad.
Erom

Post by Erom »

Those concepts were done by Niklas Jansson of AndroidArts originally, weren't they?

See http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/ta/ta.htm

Edit: Yeah, now I see the link above. Sorry, old news.

I don't really like his new storyline - the Con seems sort of bland in particular, but the idea of a single player campaign as the Ext, trying to survive the re-ignition of the Core/Arm war with a clearly inferior army sounds like a fun challenge.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

some sort of group effort to replace TA IP with itchstudios stuff is required
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

didn't we already have that discussion, which lead to some of the springers asking the guy to do more work and i think we got that Samson ortho out of it but that's about it. the guy is a professional artist iirc so if we wanted him to redo everything someone(s) is going to have to pony up some cash.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The guy didnt do ti for us, he had already drawn them up but didnt have the motivation to scan it all in.

Apparently he has higher res imagery but hasnt bothered uploading ti according to some of his latest blog posts at querelous
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Yeah, those concepts arent IP free. Use for inspiration only, if you're worried about IP.

Though i know that in the case of MR.D A. you dont care about IP B. You are good enough at design to not need to or want to copy anyone elses design verbatim.

On the CA concept art site, yeah, links are at the bottom. Deviantart is a great place for inspiration in general.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

They ARE IP free. All you need do is rename them. They were all created from scratch, just merely inspired by TA as an envisioning of what a redux or TA 2 would be like

Any Atari lawsuit based on work derived from his stuff would be on very shaky ground and unlikely to succeed
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

AF wrote:They ARE IP free. All you need do is rename them. They were all created from scratch, just merely inspired by TA as an envisioning of what a redux or TA 2 would be like

Any Atari lawsuit based on work derived from his stuff would be on very shaky ground and unlikely to succeed
They are not IP free because they belong to ARNE!

Last i heard, he was reluctant to give these over to us. I may have missed something, because he was doing a few models based on his own works for us some time ago, but AFAIR, that still stands.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

TA IP*
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

if we wanted him to redo everything someone(s) is going to have to pony up some cash.
AF wrote:The guy didnt do ti for us
Saktoth wrote:Yeah, those concepts arent IP free.
AF wrote:They ARE IP free.
I was never talking about TA IP, its not the only IP we need to worry about.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You do know the guy has posted on these forums and has said hes okay with it? I've even emailed him directly in the past and asked if I can use it in my own side projects and he's said its fine

Go ask him =p
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I know he posted here, didnt know he said that, good news.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'd strongly suggest writing the guy, and explain that nobody's turned the drawings into models because he hasn't been willing to put it under Public Domain or the GPL or CC-Anything. Politely ask him if it's all right, after we've waited five years.

I'd be happy to model these if I wasn't concerned about being in a legal situation that was ambiguous afterward. I absolutely refuse to touch his work otherwise.

I asked him point-blank about releasing the work the last time he was posting here, and he declined to answer, which is why it never happened.

Return to “Art & Modelling”