Google ISP

Google ISP

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Umbra

Google ISP

Post by Umbra »

http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi

Google wants to create a way for users at home to get fiber into their houses and access the internet at speeds up to 1gbps. If they manage this, then they'll have taken a large step forward to controlling the internet, and with it the world.

Read&Rage.
Erom

Re: Google ISP

Post by Erom »

Eh. Who do I think is the less ethical company... Google or Time Warner?

Google would be a step up for me, and I imagine likewise for a lot of people state side.
Umbra

Post by Umbra »

Well, compared to Comcast, Google would also be a step up for me as well, if Google does as it says, meaning not throttling and all that crap. However, Google might try and use information about your browsing habits to improve their advertisements and such, and might even try sticking it into new places. For me, that is something I won't stand.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Umbra wrote:and with it the US.
Fix'd. Can't belive how often you americans confuse those two. :P

Jk. But yeah, unless they start providing connections worldwide I fail to see how this is a big thing. Just another service provider in the US? Right.
Mav

Post by Mav »

Everything I have seen about Google has been about how hard they work to protect the privacy of their users.

In the case of Chrome, they had poor wording in their EULA. They changed it to less ambiguous wording that protects users.

When the U.S. government demanded under penalty of law that Google turn over potentially sensitive personal data, Google fought tooth and nail to prevent it. They lost, but they never stopped trying.

I'm going to take the "innocent until proven guilty" approach. When Google gives me reason to fear them, I will. Until then, I will continue to make money for them through their advertising services while they provide me with superior free services. When you find free services better than Google Voice, Navigation, Gmail, Search, News, Images, and Buzz, I may listen to you. In the meantime, I'm a Gtard.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Mav wrote:Everything I have seen about Google has been about how hard they work to protect the privacy of their users.
Read about buzz.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

Umbra wrote:Google wants to create a way for users at home to get fiber into their houses
http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html :P
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Google wants to expand its advertising market, with every action it does, everything else is test-ballons and PR.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

sounds good to me. now all i need to do is secure that job at google and im all set!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Don't kid yourselves. 99% of people on this forum (myself included) would kill to be able to get a job at google.

+1 to what Mav said.
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

Forboding Angel wrote:Don't kid yourselves. 99% of people on this forum (myself included) would kill to be able to get a job at google.

+1 to what Mav said.
Word.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Neva forget that companys are very fragile constructions, depending heavily on a dissent of law international and laws beeing stable in there homecountrys. You will rarely find a company older than 200 years, states can get mutch older (in thise calculation revolutions, dictatorships etcetera dont show up) - only religion is moar stable.

I would be in fact moar afraid of them if they tried to create googlecountry or did techpriesthood like thiefe Jobs.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

what the fuck does that mean? im willing to sell my soul to google, and so are you. Google is like the modern-day jesus or moses.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

they turn all water on the planet into alcohol, crossdress and smash golden statues with stone plates?

I knew i hated google, finally you delivvered a reason. Proceed...
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

A job at google doesnt appeal at all actually. What could I do there, clean toilets?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

JohannesH wrote:A job at google doesnt appeal at all actually. What could I do there, clean toilets?
For the cool shit their employees get to do (not to mention the obscene benefits package), fuck yeah, I'll take it.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Dude, that's gross.
Umbra

Post by Umbra »

I used to know someone who worked at google personally, who got paid an insanely large amount of cash. One day though he mysteriously disappeared. I assume that he got a nice house in Florida like he always went on about, but that is quite uncertain.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Or he was taken to the hidden google master lair and his mind pushed into the web by reading it the "Mice-way" like they planed for arthur dent in hitchhikers guide - and now he is another googlebot crawling the web, while we wonder how those magic algorythms perform so swell

Just look if he lurks in the users logged in below: see, you can meet him whenever, wherever you want.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Fuck me. For speeds of 1GB/s I'd quite happily sell my soul to Google and shag a Panda.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”