Latest mapconv, download here. - Page 4

Latest mapconv, download here.

Tutorials & Resources For Mappers

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Re: Latest mapconv, download here.

Post by TradeMark »

Beherith wrote:Just a few suggestions though: spring default gravity is ~120.
correction, its exactly 130.
JAZCASH wrote:
Beherith wrote:Jaz please explain what you meant, I have no idea what you said.
What I meant was a preview of what the map would look like after the SMD has been applied would be nice if possible. For example, a preview which would show the lighting, water levels, possibly mex radius among other things.
yeah its shouldnt be hard IMO, i mean to add lighting there and show the waterlevel (that could be done with just 2d calculations, but the water color etc is a bit trickier (because theres 5 different water shaders)). mex radius is a bit silly to show, since you would have to zoom in to the map... and when you do that on really big maps, you would see really blurred minimap (zoomed in) there, since it would be stupid to load the full texture in memory and use opengl rendering...

though you cant change water level by SMD? or did they add feature :o

--

the most annoying thing ive found out is to set the water level / the max height of the map. that should be done by mouse clicking too...
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Argh wrote:@Das Bruce: Visually show the light angle, so that mappers can see immediately whether it's what they want or not.
That's planned.
TradeMark wrote:@das bruce, nice, you should add startposition editor too, so i can just click/drag them on the minimap image of the map, might need zoom too if you want to be precise.
Also planned, but I'm currently trying to figure out how to deal with mouse input.
smoth wrote:why sliders over a color-picker?
Because I've only just discovered there is a colour picker control. I'll try and add it.
Beherith wrote:I love you bruce! This really great stuff :)
Just a few suggestions though: spring default gravity is ~120.
And color pickers would be extremely nice <3
Duly noted.

Also, I've added a preview panel where you can see a bigger version of the loaded images and I am planning to add an indication of what water height would cover and the start position picker to this. I'm implementing a save/load for the settings as well.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Just a small tip about the preview. Dont hold the whole image of the texture in memory, as it is very wasteful with large maps, and many might need the extra ram to actually compile the map :)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Seems like a promising pure win tool!
Just add color indicator, Color picker would be more cool...
And start position placement would be great to have also.
JAZCASH wrote: Depends how new users are to mapping. I've found when I made my first map that it took at least 5 compiles to get it how I wanted. That took probably about half an hour more time than if I could have seen at least a 2D Aerial preview...
You dont need to recompile the map if you change smd settings, Also you dont need to recompile a map to test different height and water levels. You can basically do every adjustment without recompilation...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Beherith wrote:Just a small tip about the preview. Dont hold the whole image of the texture in memory, as it is very wasteful with large maps, and many might need the extra ram to actually compile the map :)
wait what? doesnt he plan on using the MINIMAP image? 1024x1024 isnt wasteful and its enough for preview.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Beherith wrote:Just a small tip about the preview. Dont hold the whole image of the texture in memory, as it is very wasteful with large maps, and many might need the extra ram to actually compile the map :)
When you pick a file on the mapconv page it loads the image, shrinks it to about 300x300, puts it in a bitmap class and deletes the original. So at most it's saving 5 of those plus one at about 128x128. Shouldn't be a big problem.

Currently the smd pages look like this.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Thanks for mentioning the colour picker Smoth, the code is rapidly spiraling under control.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Here's a picture of the preview pane and the new layout with the colour pickers.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9922/preview02.png
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8167 ... ntend2.png

The preview pane will be where I add the graphical start position setter but I'm really struggling to figure out how to do it. In win32 you could quite easily get the mouse coordinates but it doesn't seem so simple and I'm unsure how to make it send a message when clicking something other than a button. I might make it a button but it seems an inelegant solution. Similar problem applies for the sun position selector.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Are the sunDir values floats?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Damn, I keep missing your questions cause I dont go this far in the forum hierarchy and the posts scroll off newest fast.

So, sundir is three floats, engine will normalize it.X is right, Y component is upward, Z is down.
Also, shadowintensity can go above 1.

Thanks for your work :)
If you feel its ready for release, Ill package it with mapconv!
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Beherith wrote:If you feel its ready for release, Ill package it with mapconv!
It's not, and I'm currently lacking a development machine. Moving back to uni in about a week, after that I'll try and use git so you can see where it's at.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

is source available? i'd like to compile for linux
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Vast improvements, now can preview the water coverage!

DL here(old version see next post), feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Das Bruce on 30 Mar 2010, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

thesleepless wrote:is source available? i'd like to compile for linux
it is:

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/DasBruce/wxmapconv.git
There's a cmake buildsystem, if it doesn't work please report back.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

When this is going to be ready? It will be a huge victory for us all...
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Well its 95% core feature complete, the only things it can't do right now are advanced water and sun direction, which I'm going to add when someone cleans up the wiki so I know how the hell they work and after graphical start position placement respectively.
Preview of slope tolerances has been requested but that is unlikely in the near future.

Latest Build.
Last edited by Das Bruce on 09 Apr 2010, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

--Version 2.3:
Added support for parsing lua files made by the feature placer (available by launching GUNDAM RTS 1.21 in sandbox mode)
Example line format:
{ name = 'ad0_baobab_2', x = 2184, z = 1976, rot = "0" },

Each feature will be placed at the coordinates specified and with the rotation specified. The command line parameter for this option is:
-k featureplacement.lua

Also included Das Bruce's wonderful GUI for mapconv, so you no longer have to mess with batch files, and it should make compiling easier for newbies as well.
Packaged the Start position placer tool as well, its really simple to use, and i can only recommend it to anyone wanting to place more than two start positions :)
FaerieWithBoots

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

Is it posible to rotate features randomly after you have added them with the feature placer of evo? (Without manually generating 300 random numbers and copypasting them into the luafeature file ;P )

The realtime feature placement is awesome btw :D
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

i managed to make endless loop when i placed too many geo spots
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Trade, did you do that with this mapconv? Could you post the feature and height bmp?

Floris,
Yes, you can use Evo's feature placer (as it originates from smoth's)
In order to randomly rotate many features, you need to run a ctrl-h (in notepad ++) and replace the set rotations with -1.
-1 in the lua file will still result in random rotation in mapconv.

Return to “Map Tutorials & Resources”