Windows Vista/7 Compatibility Files Issues

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

One of the major problems that we have at the moment is as follows.

A)User downloads map, who has windows vista/7.

B)Windows puts the map into "compatibility files" and so spring never sees the map.

This means that most new users and 1 bars have no idea about this part of windows, so helplessly download the map repeatedly.

Since most autohosts serve maps/mods that dont come with spring, I honestly think that at least half if not more than half of all new players NEVER actually get the game going due to lack of map/mod.

Windows Security will move these files to compatability files if you dont have explicit permission. Ie the app must be run as admin etc etc, still could involve file permissions issues.

Most power users have figured this out but the vast majority of 1 bars have no idea. The common complaints about SpringDownloader seem to revolve around this issue. I

So in conclusion, the apps need to check if the compatibility files contain maps, and then move them about correctly. The alternative, and perhaps better idea, is to always store them somewhere that dosnt require permission, like my documents etc.

I really think this is the largest thorn in the side of spring.
imbaczek

Re: Windows Vista/7 Compatibility Files Issues

Post by imbaczek »

examples or it didn't happen.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I had this with Vista but I fixed it somehow, haven't had at all on fresh install of Windows 7.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

That's bull, and I'm guessing that it probably only happens to sdz's because windows actually sees sdz's for what they are... zip files. XP renames them for example.

However, if archivemover is properly installed, it doesn't need admin permission because it moves the map/mod to userland.

Long story short, stop packaging crap as sdz.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:That's bull, and I'm guessing that it probably only happens to sdz's because windows actually sees sdz's for what they are... zip files. XP renames them for example.

However, if archivemover is properly installed, it doesn't need admin permission because it moves the map/mod to userland.

Long story short, stop packaging crap as sdz.
Internet Explorer renames them, not XP.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i think a big sign on the installer when you pick your path "DONT PUT IT IN PROGRAM FILES IN VISTA" might not be a bad idea either.

maybe even a radio selection button beforehand, so that if they click vista, then the path is automatically set to /games/spring/ or something rather than program files.

(and yes i realize that although this doesnt have much to do with the OP, might be a good idea along the same vein)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Thing is, it's not just program files, it's the majority of the C drive. Archivemover puts everything in userland where it's supposed to be, so I don't see the point of complaining...
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I use Vista, and it all works fine for me.... although it didn't used to. I'm pretty sure only SpringDownloader tries to live in Admin land. Everything else lives in Userland.
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

This is a much more serious issue than you would think, and personally I think the only way this works is by putting the data in PUBLIC.

I am dead convinced that many new players never work this out, however minor of a problem that it may seem.

How many times have you seen someone type in main that they cant find the map etc.

The problem is that most long term users of spring are

A) used to minor hiccups

B) more likely to understand permissions in windows, etc.

All im saying is i think we are losing alot of players in this way.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well then the installer isn't registering archivemover correctly. THis installer registers it correctly: http://springinfo.info/moddownloads/Spr ... taller.exe
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Just a side note, Im using win7 x64 now, and i dont have this issue, but I didnt install it on C:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Answer is in the form of SD. SD is still trying to play around in program files and I imagine that's causing some hiccups.
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

I just migrated to Windows 7 and had the problem until i fixed UAC.

There are other minor issues that cause these problems:

1) Mapped network drives. due to Internet security for local intranet, for some reason it always goes to compatibility files

2) Using Macdrive to mount mac drives,(which i dont think is neccassary to support), causes UAC to assume that the drive is mapped and applies above permission issues.

To solve this we can either force the registry setting for windows defender to accept the file normally, OR adjust software to detect mislocated map/mod files.

Ive tried to make several RL friends play and these are the problems that they experienced.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

It would probably good to know which programs put the maps into weird folders outside my games/spring.
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

Its the weirdest thing, I fixed this issue for myself, and then it stopped working, and then it started working again after a restart. PErhaps theres a piece of the puzzle im not seeing
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Sefidel wrote:I just migrated to Windows 7 and had the problem until i fixed UAC.

Don't turn off UAC in win7. There simply isn't any point. You only get notifications about important things.

Issues with programs in win7 UAC isn't win7's fault, it's the program who's at fault.
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

Actual location of files:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Spring

Return to “General Discussion”