Far Texture still not working right...

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Mav

Post by Mav »

I'm on the new Spring, and congrats! Far texture is working much better than before! Instead of scrambled boxes, I can see the units and everything. Thanks for fixing that!

However, a small bug:

When units are viewed at a distance (I'm assumed far texture here) they ALL show up as belonging to blue team.

When you zoom in, their colors change to actual team color.

See the zoomed out photo (89) all units appear blue.
In the zoomed in photo, (90) there are actually yellow, purple, and a teal fighter.
Attachments
screen00090.png
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
screen00089.png
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Mav

Re: Far Texture still not working right...

Post by Mav »

Just started a new game. Both times I was a spectator. In the first game, my default spec team was blue (the team that you start speccing when the game starts) and all the units were blue while fartextured.

This game, I started speccing dark red, and all far textured units were dark red.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I think this issue was raised before (check the two release candidate threads) - the reply I think was along the lines of this being less a bug, and more intended functionality - as this means just one image for each unit rather than as many as team colors (ie saving on texture space / calculations, I guess ?).
I have no clue though to be honest, so best read up elsewhere.
Mav

Post by Mav »

Eh, need to be an option then. I want to be able to see the correct colors, even if it cost me a few FPS.
Mav

Post by Mav »

Also just saw a bunch of Core T2 bombers in BA, all facing the same direction (approximately east-southeast) regardless of which direction they were flying.
Mav

Post by Mav »

And coms don't show up at all.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Mav wrote:Also just saw a bunch of Core T2 bombers in BA, all facing the same direction (approximately east-southeast) regardless of which direction they were flying.
replay?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what SeanHeron is kind of true.
this way, its just one texture set (8 different facings) per unit.
i agree it being a bug though, as it really makes far textures quite unusable. i am pretty sure they always worked like this.
i guess it would not be such a big deal to change it, but someone would have to summarize some practical numbers here.

i try, but i do not have a clear conception of it really.
lets assume a 4vs4 (two factions in use, eg. Arm and Core), each player using 100 types of units, each unit beeing drawn in 8 facings, each image being of size 32x32 pixels RGBA (4 bytes per pixel).
lets assume we would need all possible far-textures in this game in gfx-ram, that would mean:
single-color: 4*32*32*8*100*2 = 6.25 MB
team-colors: 4*32*32*8*100*8 = 25 MB

well.. as said, i do not know about how realistic this is, where compression would jump in, what percentage of these would really have to be in ram...
not even sure if they are in system or gfx ram.
assuming they are in gfx ram, it could be a problem for old cards in theory... but they would probably also have problems anyway with spring in 8vs8 games.
guess it would be ok for cards with 128MB and more.

so... my current vote would is pro team-colored far-textures.

btw, far-textures are already optional. just make sure that icon-distance and lod-distance have the same value (they are both sliders in springsettings), as far-textures are only shown between these two.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I think I might also be seeing this bug:

Often in CA I am seeing team colours changing from the 'correct' colour to an enemy's colour. Zooming in an out seems to affect this - zooming in on the units affect will at some zoom level fix it, but then it reoccurs when you zoom out. The whole effect seems to occur fairly randomly though.

Waldo suggested it was a new camouflage trick the units had learned ;-)
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

SirArturrrrrri just saw this too I think.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Acidd_UK wrote:SirArturrrrrri just saw this too I think.
yes I did. Pretty annoying... I thought the units were mine...
Mav

Post by Mav »

The units always turn the color of player 0 when your fartexture.

More things to report: units randomly disappear now. Coms seem to be most frequent, but I've seen almost every unit in the game disappear at some point or another, all when far textured.

The thing with the bombers flying sideways? Happens with any aircraft being far textured for me. Once I zoom out, they "lock" in whichever direction they're facing, so it appears as if they are flying backwards or sideways. You can still see the flame shooting out their engines, and the flame DOES follow the correct direction.

BA solars far-texture as folded up instead of open.

Return to “Help & Bugs”