Wikipedia - Page 2

Wikipedia

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Dragon45

Re: Wikipedia

Post by Dragon45 »

Cite the review of PURE on whatever games site.

Cite Gundam's ranking on Mod of the Year or whatever.

Cite the press releases the SWTA team got in video game pubs, and point out that it is being remade as Imperial Winter for Spring.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Lots of useless details in the wiki article.
Its imo not needed to list all games/mods.
Who cares for the "story" of Complete Annihilation [3], that is really never mentioned anywhere?
The texts about the other games are the same, just "bla bla epic warfare in a struggle to controll the universe" story fluff. Doesnt tell the reader anything.
BA's text is ok though i guess.
Still, imo just write:
Mods and games
Spring has numerous games in various stages of development.
Some are based upon and use content from the original Total Annihilation game and try to closely copy its gameplay while others are developing into independent games.
Other games are based in a number of different settings, ranging from World War 2 battles to abstract warfare in a computer.
There have also been experiments to create games other than RTS, for example third person mech combat or an arcade flying game.
Thats enough and more detailled than the current chaos.
Listing all those mods is just unprofessional, escpially if there are not finished.
PURE might get an extra line saying its the first commercial game using spring.

Some things are just wrong, "There are currently a few single player missions, built on the basic support for this through Lua scripting."
Afaik the only real missions are in PURE and partly KP? The rest looks like it is thrown together in 30 minutes to test the editor.
Yes, there might be support for missions but according to springdownloader my missiontest is still the most popular (twice more dls than the next) and it got broken almost a year ago with new spring version.
So, imo there are no missions. Only techdemos of missions.

Only the Nederlands wikiarticle looks ok (cant really read it), for the rest of languages I cant understand when the wikiguys want to delete this chaos.

But imo the fact that there are ~200 players online in the lobby of a freeware game without any real advertising is enough to say spring has some impact. Maybe add this stats site thing to the links.
And the whole deal about "marked for deletation because not notable" is a big failure of wikipedia.
Might be annoying in cases, but without it there would be a million 2 lines articles about some unknown bands, movies, persons etc. Would be impossible to quality control those.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@knorke

It already is - independant films get reviews. Shovelware games get reviews. Once something has a dead-tree-published review, it magically becomes "notable" even if the review was out of a slavish obligation to review every single product that comes out of region X.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Yes, thats partly true.
sorry I dont really understand what you mean?
At least if the system works as planned, some blogger is not relevant for example. So stuff only gets "notable" after being reviewed by a "notable" source. Seems ok?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

about AIs: C# for AIs is in developlement, and not currently available to write AIs in.
Lua, C, C++ and JVM languages are well usable. JVM languages include Java, and a lot of others, for example Groovy, JRuby, JPhyton.
There is currently only one Java AI that is publicly available, and it is not included in releases (HughAI). But still it shoudl be relatively stable to use, as there are many porojects going on in secret, and them and i have fixed lots of bugs reported by them.
Spring Downloader is written in C#, and works under Windows and Linux.
TASClient is Delphi.
Notable to mention maybe: AI bindings are plugins, so everyone can write a plugin to include support for writing AIs in a different language, or for executing AIs on a remote machine or whatever.
2. i guess some stuff of the old article can be used, eg. that stuff is simulated -> eg. shots can miss.

the plugin-ability of the AI interface is.. i am pretty sure, unmet by any other engine, plus there is Lua of course.
come to me for info about anything AI related, or well, maybe i can help about other parts of the engine too (i will surely not tell bs about something if i do not know about it ;-) ).

also mentionable maybe: there is a really strong community. the future of the core stuff of spring (engine, mods and lobbies) never seemed in danger to me (ok, i am not here for too long, but what was before me is too much past already to be considered for this).
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

SeanHeron wrote:
Edit2: jK reminds me - who's the image we're using by? The talk page says that the licence of that is not clear either (and thus potentially up for removal).
If it is still the image of the map with trees and a battle with planes crashing ect... then I made the image, and it's fine to use, (though a logo might be better, but that image is still fine for elsewere in the article)

If thats not the image there on about, no worries.

aGorm
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

aGorm wrote:
SeanHeron wrote:
Edit2: jK reminds me - who's the image we're using by? The talk page says that the licence of that is not clear either (and thus potentially up for removal).
If it is still the image of the map with trees and a battle with planes crashing ect... then I made the image, and it's fine to use, (though a logo might be better, but that image is still fine for elsewere in the article)

If thats not the image there on about, no worries.

aGorm
Unrelated: What's that map called, and why wasn't it ever released?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

aGorm's tree map? After years of teasing, it was eventually released. Search for Autumn woods.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

zwzsg wrote:aGorm's tree map? After years of teasing, it was eventually released. Search for Autumn woods.
Sorry to say, it never lived up to my expectations :p.

It was one of those things that drew me to spring, and once again it was a lie :cry:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

ALthough it should be noted that that is quite different from the one in the screen shots as there were many problems with that version of the map, so that map in itself was never released... the new one looks better anyway.

(PS I only say looks... becasue I realise that due to engin liitations there not that playable... apparently... I've never had any problems :P )

aGorm
smoth

Post by smoth »

SirMaverick wrote:Sock puppetry
It is particularly catty that the guy linked our discussion of the article and issues with it. I suspect most of us posting in this thread have nothing to do with the article. Also requesting that the user(being tim) not be able to grab individuals is bollocks. ESP when wikipedia has a bunch of losers who sit there and read the change revisions. IMO a bit onesided.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

actually the map is playable when you remove the fact that trees could be selectable ( made selecting units almost impossible with a top-down view ), i fixed that and uploaded somewhere, but i forgot where
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think we should just let the wiki guys have their way. Whatever, wikipedia has been shit for years and it is dying because of these deletionist nuttjobs.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

knorke wrote: Some things are just wrong, "There are currently a few single player missions, built on the basic support for this through Lua scripting."
Afaik the only real missions are in PURE and partly KP? The rest looks like it is thrown together in 30 minutes to test the editor.
Yes, there might be support for missions but according to springdownloader my missiontest is still the most popular (twice more dls than the next) and it got broken almost a year ago with new spring version.
So, imo there are no missions. Only techdemos of missions.
Hey! My mission is 100% complete and functional. And the only reason I converted Chicken Tag into a standalone game is to lessen the download size so the downloader doesn't have to fetch you CA 4460.
smoth

Post by smoth »

doesn't fucking matter, let them delete the shit. They will just keep looking for excuses until the only article that is left will be 1+1=2 and the number theory guys will eventually have that one deleted as well.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

We need a new wiki-encyclopedia called the Wiklipedia that has information about everything but there is a grading scale that determines how "Notable" etc the topic of the article is instead of people deleting stuff that isn't notable.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I just realized it's hopeless.

Now that the show has ended, there's no way for us to get Spring onto Battlestar Galactica.
smoth

Post by smoth »

* meat puppet: A person who disagrees with you.
* non-notable: A subject you're not interested in.
* vandalism: An edit you didn't make.
* neutral point of view: Your point of view.
* consensus: A mythical state of utopian human evolution. Many scholars of Wikipedian theology theorize that if consensus is ever reached, Wikipedia will spontaneously disappear.
sounds about right.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

does anyone know how notable/reliable this source is?

http://www.chip.de/downloads/Spring-RTS_21642345.html

OOOh!!!

I had an idea... we should start sending press-releases to various news outlets/web sites (ign etc) whenever a new release is tested as widely stable (so, like 7 days after a public release that doesn't have breaking bugs)... eventually this is going to happen in a slow enough enough news-week that some reliable-ish source will provide coverage and BAM we're notable.

Return to “General Discussion”