best PeeWee and AK consepts ever!

best PeeWee and AK consepts ever!

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: best PeeWee and AK consepts ever!

Post by Neddie »

I would like a figure of that A.K. on my desk. Immediately.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

yeah awesome, but.. how the hell does that A.K. balance? It looks like a strong breeze would knock it down.
Argh

Post by Argh »

It uses... peg power!

It just needs an eyepatch and a scruffy parrot, and it would make a spiffy pirate mecha.
Gota

Post by Gota »

That's brilliant.
In that page someone commented they remind him of Nod and GDI.I kinda have to agree with that.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Eh, I don't think they're that great.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Yeah - while the Peewee might be a matter of taste I don't like the AK at all. The design while clearly showing the relation to the original is sort of bad (you probably couldn't make the legs less believable) and the entire side is just a grey blurry mash and you can hardly see anything there...

The general artistic skills are very good though...
Gota

Post by Gota »

If the robot has uber smart CPU it can have 2 pins as feet and It'll still balance itself.
I think the AK is very good as a concept for a unit.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Alot of style into those concepts.

Undeniable.

Reminds me alot of the same futuristic art style that went into Aliens (2) such as with the Sulaco and Dropship design.

Only thing that bothers me is the unfinished appearance of the AK's legs.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Looks good overall, but I agree with others that AK's legs look silly. Like they would have been cut or something...

Btw, sidenote. Just from curiousity I'd like to ask how people actually tend to imagine proportions of the units compared to a human. That peewee is like a giant compared to that lady in the picture. Thats how you see the proportions? :)

I always thought peewees are like half size or size of a human. Just like a micro robots or something...
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great concepts!
for me peewee=asimo with guns.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

SirArtturi wrote:I always thought peewees are like half size or size of a human. Just like a micro robots or something...
Nah - they were huge robots. There actually were some "serious" size discussions and as a rough rule a Peewee was about as tall as a tree afaik...
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

SirArtturi wrote:Looks good overall, but I agree with others that AK's legs look silly. Like they would have been cut or something...

Btw, sidenote. Just from curiousity I'd like to ask how people actually tend to imagine proportions of the units compared to a human. That peewee is like a giant compared to that lady in the picture. Thats how you see the proportions? :)

I always thought peewees are like half size or size of a human. Just like a micro robots or something...
Personally i cant really imagine them compared to humans at all, but compared to trees for example... PW is as tall as a tree.

Theyre like toys in my mind.

Those pics look nice but they dont have much at all in common to how I think of those units.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I don't like the leg design of the AK, the PW is alright, despite that it strongly looks a lot like Tiberian Sun's Wolverine
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Who did those? Somebody in this community obviously. Was it Treeform the OP?
Gota

Post by Gota »

I think the low quality of the map textures causes units to feel smaller.
If it was possible to make maps more detailed per a unit of map size,when you would zoom in and see tons of small details the units would immidietly look bigger.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Scale is way off... A peewee is about 90ft tall give or take.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

Gota wrote:I think the low quality of the map textures causes units to feel smaller.
If it was possible to make maps more detailed per a unit of map size,when you would zoom in and see tons of small details the units would immidietly look bigger.
Truth. Tested that and using good detail texture instead of just texture will fix this problem :) If anyone wan't to test that just download http://www.petro.darkstars.co.uk/damned ... ion_v1.sd7 this test map that i'm working on for Damned. Not meant to be pretty and the detail texture gets repetitive when you zoom out but as close as Damned is supposed to be played it looks "fine".
Mav

Post by Mav »

Master-Athmos wrote:
SirArtturi wrote:I always thought peewees are like half size or size of a human. Just like a micro robots or something...
Nah - they were huge robots. There actually were some "serious" size discussions and as a rough rule a Peewee was about as tall as a tree afaik...
Everyone needs to brush up on their OTA history. It will make much clear. This is from the official TA unit guide and manual (a fairly large book).

Basically, human race invented a process called "patterning": the ability to transfer consciousness from human to machine. Now, you could be immortal, as your mind is simply transferred to machines and as technology becomes better, so does your body.

The process was made mandatory for everyone. Some people, however, were against this and formed a resistance faction: The Arm. They wanted to be able to live their lives in their own mortal human bodies. A conflict erupted that has spanned over four thousand years.

The Core was able to take advantage by copying the minds of their best warriors, so that every unit of a given type is the same person. The Arm countered by cloning their best warriors. [Side note: still seems weak to me, as the process of "Select Mind > Ctrl C > Ctrl V" seems way easier than cloning an entire person.]

And that's where the game starts. Both sides are terribly crippled by the massive war, and are at the stage where they're simply trying to wipe each other out.

Now, going by these standards, one can assume that the Arm is fitting actual humans inside their machines. So the smallest possible unit must be bigger than a human, unless you think that the Arm is controlling its units from remote stations via wireless connections. I personally think the Flea is a drone, not a person-controlled unit.

Secondly: there are some OTA maps that take place in deserted cities, complete with buildings and cars. Based on the size of the cars, I think the picture of the Peewee in the OP is slightly oversized.

Video: Total Annihilation Opening Cinematic

In this video, if you pause on the closeup of the Peewee at 1:12, there's actually not a big enough shoulder joint to have a real person's arms inside the Peewee's arms, so the body of the Peewee (at minimum) would have to be large enough to house a complete person.

The real proof of scale lies in two things:
1)Gravity. This is the weaker argument, as gravity can change hugely with whatever planet they're on, but if you use the rate at which gravity accelerates the units (view of scout vehicle speeding through the terrain, tanks toppling over steep ridges), you can approximate the vehicle sizes to be roughly the same as our current real-world, human technology.

2)Explosion speed. Small explosions (like fire cracker) are extremely quick, almost too quick to see. Large explosions (nuclear bomb) are very slow, and take a long, long time. Medium explosions (bombs dropped by planes, tank blown up by Arm com) take about the right amount of time based on similar-sized real-world explosions.

Anyways, I put way too much thought into that, but it's something I've though about before. BTW, I spent today walking around humming the theme music from that cinematic; it's funny that 12 years after playing TA I still remember it so clearly.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Mav wrote:2)Explosion speed. Small explosions (like fire cracker) are extremely quick, almost too quick to see. Large explosions (nuclear bomb) are very slow, and take a long, long time. Medium explosions (bombs dropped by planes, tank blown up by Arm com) take about the right amount of time based on similar-sized real-world explosions.
Watch less crappy movies please.

Return to “Art & Modelling”