New Rain Gadget v0.6

New Rain Gadget v0.6

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

New Rain Gadget v0.6

Post by Argh »

It is what it says.

Drag n' drop to luaGaia folder in a map, only configuration atm is amount of rain per cycle ("maxNewRain"). Uses a very streamlined, gutted P.O.P.S. to speed things up considerably.

Final version uploaded; uses same technique as in the Snow Gadget to speed up presentation of a camera-independent system.
Last edited by Argh on 01 Feb 2010, 23:27, edited 4 times in total.
Argh

Re: New Rain Gadget v0.4

Post by Argh »

Updated.
Argh

Re: New Rain Gadget v0.5

Post by Argh »

Last update, I think. Adds matrix correction to avoid certain types of potential borks.
Attachments
POPS_RAIN.lua
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Pictures and videos please

We have attempts to make rain already, and they all provided imagery, you need to justify why you implemented this, and as with any graphical project, words will never cut it, and 1 in 10,000 will bother to package up a game to test it and see
Argh

Post by Argh »

Don't have time, sorry. It's like a 5-minute job to test these things yourself, and I wouldn't have made it if I didn't think the previous implementations (which I wrote, so I should know) weren't satisfactory.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Basically what we have is:

Argh needs to justify to AF why he should use the gadget

To justify running the gadget AF needs to run the gadget

We've talked about this before argh, horrible circular logic loops wher eYOU are the one who looses out.

I cant justify downloading and making the effort to package it up and test, because:

To do so would require me to package it up and test

Whereas you could press f12 and attach the screenshot and make that your entire post, just a picture with a lua file attached and you would get a LOT more responses and testing and usage.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:Basically what we have is:

To justify running the gadget AF needs to run the gadget

We've talked about this before argh, horrible circular logic loops wher eYOU are the one who looses out.

I cant justify downloading and making the effort to package it up and test, because:

To do so would require me to package it up and test

Whereas you could press f12 and attach the screenshot and make that your entire post, just a picture with a lua file attached and you would get a LOT more responses and testing and usage.
And it would take about as much time to make an obnoxious post every time somebody releases something.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

This is a lesson argh has to make, and one people will learn by seeing me pester him about it, your just helping show just how much of a trainwreck arghs marketting foo actually is.

Argh, what you have done, is taken some nifty stuff, and then applied a -9000x multiplier on it, meaning to get the same results everyone else has to, you have to do an astronomical amount of extra work, because the vast majority of that work is taken up by your horrible method of presentation and stomped and stamped and crushed.

Your code has a bad name, your projects perform poorly, and it has nothing to do with the quality of your actual work. It's all presentation, and if you would present your work correctly, it would be easier to understand, more popular, more used, and you would get a lot less flak.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Why... are you planning on making maps sometime soon?

Seriously... if you want to actually do something constructive, take a screenshot, show it in use, maybe even ask some intelligent questions about how each iteration's strategy changed and why and what the tradeoffs have been (given that I may or may not be doing it right- really, the more I look at large-scale particle systems, the more I wish I had access to VBOs and PBOs).

I don't really have time for the rest of this, it isn't constructive. Every hour I spend on a thoughtful, well-narrated video segment or w/e is an hour I'm not spending on building better code atm, and I can't really justify it right now. If the problem is actually a lack of information, you could very easily step into that gap, instead of derailing my threads like this.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Version 0.6, which is probably final. This uses the same instancing technique as the snow v0.6, and is reasonably fast.

BTW, to adjust the rain frequency, you merely have to change the height range it's built in and where it will be reset to when it reaches zero- one line of Lua and one line in the GLSL.
Attachments
POPS_RAIN3.lua
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
AF
AI Developer

Re: New Rain Gadget v0.6

Post by AF »

Take the word AF and replace it with any arbitrary forum user you think might use this.

You dont need an hour to make a video either. Other people manage it with 5-10 seconds of video just demonstrating it, zwzsg does it with animated GIFs even.

I refuse to provide screenshots and videos myself because:
  • It would be a testament to the immense failure that is your PR
  • It would encourage you and others to be lazy and just wait for me to come along tell you off and post my own screenshots
  • It would teach you absolutely nothing
  • I would become a hypocrite
  • Its not my responsibility
  • I shouldn't have to volunteer myself to do something you were supposed to do then get no thanks or benefit out of it, whereas you already have everything set up, and you run the thing to test it, all you had to do was press f12 quick and take a screenshot and attach it to the post, you were running it already anyway
At this rate ti is turning from me giving you constructive criticism which you are not taking on but instead attacking giving reasons which are a load of bollocks, into me condemning you and you being utterly ignorant, creating more hassle for yourself in the process.

To recap:

PRESS F12 WHEN YOUR TESTING AND POST THE SCREENSHOT UP, IT TAKES 2 SECONDS AND ITS PISS EASY COMPARED TO ARGUING
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: New Rain Gadget v0.6

Post by bobthedinosaur »

yes, please arg can we see?

Return to “Map Creation”