An Indecent Proposal [SWIW]

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

So, I'm not on the inside, but it seems to me that SWIW development has has been nearly finished for almost a year...

Sooo... maybe it's time for a final push... not me personally... I have no interest of skill when it comes to any of the aspects needed to help... BUT I have an idea...

Everyone who is working on a Map, Mod or Game for the Spring Engine... stop whatever it is you are doing and offer to help SWIW instead... I'm sure if you all work together we can all stop playing BA and start playing SWIW together in no time.
Regret

Re: An Indecent Proposal [SWIW]

Post by Regret »

Sure whatever, so what needs doing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

SinbadEV wrote:Everyone who is working on a Map, Mod or Game for the Spring Engine... stop whatever it is you are doing and offer to help SWIW instead...

n

o
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

I'd certainly agree, but I don't know if they will allow anyone to help :?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I must say that:
- "Hey, they have an awesome* idea, but I can do none of the work, please do it for them!
Is a nice variation from your usual:
- "Hey, I have an awesome* idea, but I can do none of the work, please do it for me!

* in reality, worn out to the core
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I think I'll start with a quote from zwzsg in the other topic since it'll help establish our standing:
I lost interest when I realised they wouldn't release I.W. before reaching perfection.
It's not that we're shooting for perfection, we're just shooting for a positive first impression. Existing Spring players are either going to like our game or they won't, and that's fine, but the point is that it's a relatively small group of players who are used to dealing with Spring already.

We want to make our game as accessible and enjoyable to first-time users as we possibly can when we do eventually release. We don't want, "Well the game seems fun but it was a pain in the ass to install it" or "It looks pretty but the interface is awful" or, the worst of all, "This isn't bad but the heaviest walker is an AT-RT and there aren't even x-wings". People in general don't usually forget the "buts" if they remember the game at all. I can't even count how many freeware games/mods/etc I've tried once or twice then forgotten about because it was just too rough around the edges to bother with.

Our major goals for our eventual release have essentially always been:
-A coherent UI that doesn't look as bad as the default
-Decent looking (spectacular/perfect aren't necessary but preferred) art assets, animations and special effects
-Core gameplay intact so we don't have to completely overhaul the game later
-Easy installation and (enough players permitting) a frictionless experience getting online and playing and/or playing alone with a bot
-A unit set on par with SWS 1.0/SWTA pack 5, including walkers up to the AT-ST and aircraft up to the x-wing and b-wing. 'Superweapons' like the AT-AT and Jedi would come in a later expansion.
-Probably a couple others I'm forgetting but they must be less important

Secondary tasks include our own maps with custom made features, audio work (though we do have a lot of recorded voice clips), and things like that.

Here's a basic rundown of where we are with the above major tasks:
-I've made significant progress with the UI code, I mainly just need to finish the build/commands menu and do a chat thing.
-Art-wise, we've only got one or two units left to skin and they're being worked on right now. Good special effects are largely in-place thanks to Zerggin. Animations are the big art department holdup since I'm awful at making nice looking walk animations in bos/lus.
-Getting the core gameplay intact is/was the point of the closed beta. The game from the start of the closed beta is significantly different from the one today. Once we add the "pack5" stuff to the beta unit set, it'll probably only take a good month of testing to hammer out the major gameplay issues those units will certainly introduce, but after that balance patches like every other game has will suffice
-I think the engine has matured enough that we can make an installer which will be friendly enough to newbs. We also have CRAIG support thanks to Tobi.
-I already summed up the unit set situation.

So yeah, that's basically where we are. Our biggest holdups right now are animations and time. A lot of the remaining work is just animations, finishing the UI, the grunt work of importing new units, sorting through the voice clips and equalizing their volume and such, and other things of that nature.

tl;dr: we won't deny help but we need animators more than anything. I certainly wouldn't deny a couple reliable grunts importing all the post-beta units for me though :P
SWN1

Post by SWN1 »

Do you want me to also shine your shoes bossman?
just spit in my palm.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

In the meantime anyone interested in IW can play S44, it's similar, only better in every respect other than graphical polish and UI (which is being fixed). 8)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Gnome wrote:-Easy installation and [...] a frictionless experience [...] playing alone with a bot
May I help with that?
smoth

Post by smoth »

would be cool if you added that startmenu and save game stuff!
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

another classic. "if you help my mod, it will take over BA" idea.

from what ive played of SWIW i can honestly say that its a good mod and has alot of effort in it. However, to me and alot of people who expect it to come out alongside the release date given, its a bit of a vaporware project because its not out now, and its certainly not out for the general public.

If you want people to help, stop with the close beta thing, make it available to everyone, and get some real interest. Asking for help because you guys have gotten lazy is little... well...

anyway, it would be stupid to release now with the populairty of BA.

Take s44 for example (and i know ill have a MASSIVE wall of text telling me im wrong from flozi, but its the truth) If s44 was released on a seperate server away from Ba it would most likely have alot more players.

unless SWIW has been hiding some massive gameplay feature i havent seen yet, releasing now would be a bad idea, and i'd rather not see it not live up to its dream, as ive been waiting years for it to be finished
Regret

Post by Regret »

Spawn_Retard wrote:If you want people to help, stop with the close beta thing, make it available to everyone, and get some real interest. Asking for help because you guys have gotten lazy is little... well...
Who exactly asked for help?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

i know you often reply to threads without reading the topic or the first post, but id advise you to this time.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Spawn_Retard wrote:i know you often reply to threads without reading the topic or the first post, but id advise you to this time.
I don't do that.

I was pointing out that you didn't even bother thinking about what you're writing and said that SWIW asked for help because they are lazy, when only Sinbad who has nothing to do with said game asked for help.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

closed beta players are also part of the SWIW team, if he has access and knowledge to the projects state of devolopment then he must be part of the inner circle.

This IS thinking about my post.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Sorry Spawn, but have to totally agree with Regret here. And I wouldn't have thought it necessary, but:
SinbadEV wrote:So, I'm not on the inside, but it seems to me [...]
Ie, he's just guessing / assuming from comments they've made.

And no, closed beta players are hardly part of the "team"...

Let's just let this thread die though, eh ?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

SeanHeron wrote:Sorry Spawn, but have to totally agree with Regret here. And I wouldn't have thought it necessary, but:
SinbadEV wrote:So, I'm not on the inside,
And no, closed beta players are hardly part of the "team"...

Let's just let this thread die though, eh ?
i would say they are, and if your attitude is that they arnt then i can really see how good you treat your player base. Without the closed beta team you would have no testers, which you find alot of people get paid for to do in commercial games. and guess what? they get recognition for their work.

Why are you so quick close this topic, i think its interesting how you precieve things.

Its fine with me if you want to keep even talk about SWIW to a minimum it just looks really bad considering how open spring is.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Just for the record, I'm not even in the closed beta.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

so how do you know of their content?

I am, and i didnt even know they were finished.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Um, what gave you the impression that I'm part of the SWIW team ???
Please don't let any negative opinions you have of me reflect badly on them, as I have absolutely nothing to do with them (except perhaps admiring there very nice art assets...).

Edit: The opinion I stated on beta-players roles is entirely mine, and does not intend to state the SWIW-team's position in any way whatsoever. If you want to trounce me for that opinion (as this will be the opinion I'll be taking for Engines of War) then please do so - but in PM or the Engines of War thread.
Last edited by SeanHeron on 31 Jan 2010, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”