Please remove featured SW:IW content

Moderator: Moderators

SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

It seems rather confusing, not to mention unfair, that a mod that has been in closed beta since 2008 is still featured on the games page and in banners, screenshots and movies all over the site.

I can visualise people coming to the site and going "hey, this thing is cool, I love Star Wars!" then downloading and installing Spring and finally discovering that the whizbang game they're looking for can't be downloaded.

I could understand this if SW:IW really was "coming soon" but the last post about closing the BETA and claiming it would reopen "soon" is dated May 31, 2008. I can see it's been edited since then but it's still impossible to tell when the BETA closed, or when it will reopen.

I appreciate SW:IW needs time but there's no indication at all in any of the Spring site content that the thing is only an internal project. I think it's time to stop pimping it until it is actually accessible to players, whether it showcases the engine or not.

P.S. By "visualise" I mean I did this once myself. Got all excited then discovered I wasn't welcome. Not a good feeling really. Even condescending in a way. HERE"S SOMETHING COOL AND YOU AREN'T INVITED UNLESS YOU BEG! BEG!! HA HA AHA HA!!
Mav

Re: Please remove featured SW:IW content

Post by Mav »

Tequila makes people say funny things...
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Spliff has a point.

i kinda dislike this closed beta idea when considering the openness of spring.

It's up to them if they want to shoot themselves in the foot, but false advertising a game will only leave people frustrated, no matter how good the game looks.

I think it should be noted that they are continuing work on the forum and on the mods work page, but all content e.g. logos and screenshots should be taken down, as its only dissapoint for a new user.

I can remember when the first star wars mod came out, without half of the shit they inculded in the screen shots, i felt cheated. They said it would be coming soon, 4 years later im still waiting.
Mav

Post by Mav »

Spawn_Retard wrote:It's up to them if they want to shoot themselves in the foot, but false advertising a game will only leave people frustrated, no matter how good the game looks.
It's worked for Apple after all these years....

Seriously, did anyone feel the Apple iGasm today? I felt like Obi-Wan today:
Obi-Wan wrote:I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Hmmm... good point. I think I'll start claiming Apple wrote my mod :twisted:

EDIT: OMG, Apple lawyers coming up driveway... must stop typing and run.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Yeh i agree its potentially misleading.

But i heard the SWIW team have started working on it again. So imo wait till a response from one of the dev's.
Last edited by Otherside on 28 Jan 2010, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i agree it should be removed until it's playable
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

if you want to speed it up, throw us some people who can write good looking walker animations. Those are what I suck at most.

That said, whatever, I'm sure Zsinj will bitch and moan though
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

maybe you should send some cake, beer and/or women to zwzsg... he wrote some pretty stellar walking animations in his day.

also... I too feel like having SWIW pimped in a big box at the top of our homepage is frustrating to potential new springers
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SinbadEV wrote:maybe you should send some cake, beer and/or women to zwzsg... he wrote some pretty stellar walking animations in his day.
I'm pretty sure Gnomre knows about me and my walk scripts.

I lost interest when I realised they wouldn't release I.W. before reaching perfection.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Hmm they just keep on coming...
How many are there?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Gota wrote:Hmm they just keep on coming...
How many are there?
Actually it's looping, so infinite... but if you watch, every 130 cycles it's a scantily clad nurse instead of an ATAT
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

that was discussed before. i agree, they should not have banners and all that, as long as most people are not able to play it.
i do not remember if there was a reason, or just laziness to remove, or an argument like "we do not have enough other nice looking banners".
i just know.. nothing was done against it.
In the end, odds are, that we will gain more new users then we will loose because of this, and even doh this is no argument for me, it may be for some.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I could do some gundam banners if it would make you lot happy.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Do you remember how much shit people took over aGorm's goddamned TreeMap? The one that was on the Wikipedia page?

This is like that.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

zwzsg wrote:Image
:-) i swear you have a terrabyte of OTA animated gifs. very impressive.
smoth

Post by smoth »

zwzsg is a brilliant mother.... SHUT YO MOUTH... was just talkin about Z baby..
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Regardless, if they are taken off the live site, could you guys at least throw the topics containing them in some other forum (hell, the IW forum here would be as fine as any) so we don't have to find the stuff again later?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I lost interest when I found out the game/ mod was going to be about George Lucas's cybernized jizum
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Gnome, this is about removing the banners and the like, not the SWIW related forum topics/subforum.

what is also unclear to me:
Would also the screenshots be removed, or only the stuff that really hits you when you go to springrts.com?

Return to “Site content”