Spring.exe doesn't run in win7 64bit?

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

jorenm

Post by jorenm »

Trying to launch it I just get "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application".

Is there any fix for this?
Beherith

Re: Spring.exe doesn't run in win7 64bit?

Post by Beherith »

Is there any infolog.txt after launching it? It should be next to spring.exe
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Spring does work on Windows 7 x64 Bit cause that's what I use :P
I believe this is the error which has been reported many many times. I, my friends and many others I know have had this. You just need to wait. It's there when you first install Spring and you either have to reboot or if that doesn't work, just wait a day or two and it should go away. It will never come back once it's gone away.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I'm having the same problem - I've waited a day or two and still not working. Can anyone shed any more light on the problem here?

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)." is not the most helpful error message :-(
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I get a similar error with Gimp (Windows 7 Pro 32-bit) and Inkscape sometimes, with Gimp it's for a sub-program that identifies new plugins so it's fine that it doesn't run and for Inkscape it takes a reboot to fix. Only saying this to point out it's not a Spring specific error and a solution could be potentially found by troubleshooting your OS.

edit: I found these suggestions randomly poking google.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/d9686996-97db-4a79-b981-e73c7683218a wrote:Would it be possible for you to download Application Verifier, and run the faulting app under it to get more diagnostic information? You can obtain Application Verifier from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

And, could you download ProcDump to your \Windows\System32 folder, and run "procdump -e <name_of_your_failing_exe>" to get a memory dump of the failure? ProcDump is on:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96900.aspx
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

If you google for the error message it seems to affect loads of people with loads of different applications - one reported a fix by updating their mingw dll and another said it was fixed by doing nothing (a la Jazcash suggestion) however others report not finding a fix.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

General Google/Microsoft consensus seems to be "you're screwed"... so yeah... it's probably Spring relying on some part of Windows that Microsoft has screwed up... theoretically if we could identify the cause of the problem more specifically we might be able to find a way to work around the issue (like using a different version of one of our libraries or something).
pi31415

Post by pi31415 »

Well, as far i can see it`s a problem with the springlobby software.
Springlobby 0.35 works fine on my win7 64.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-Installing spring_0.80.5.2 - works.
-Starting the Updater - works.
-Restarting springlobby
------Here the problems start------
-Update notice - v0.35 too old, update to 0.61
-springlobby_updater.exe not found
-Manually downloading 0.61 from http://springlobby.info/windows/springl ... -win32.zip, replacing files
Springlobby now is 0.61
-Trying to start a Match - 0xc0000005
-----------------------------------------------------------------

->>> 0.35 works ->>> There has to be a bug in 0.61

slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Try to switch "Edit > Preferences > Spring tab > Use old launch method" checkbox.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

This sounds like it has to do with conflicting versions of OpenAL32.dll.

Googling for this error is quite pointless as the code just means "segmentation fault", so it's VERY generic and can be caused by about everything.
darloth

Post by darloth »

I had this problem, here's how I solved it.

Downloading the newest OpenAL installer from here, and then copying it from windows/system32 into the spring install folder seems to have solved the problem for me.

That said, it seems like this is likely to cause some problem with sound later on, but at least spring loads now, and sounds seem to be playing correctly so far...
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Well that fixed it for me too!
Ralith

Post by Ralith »

This solved the problem for me too. I think I know what's going on here; springlobby is including a version of OpenAL.dll that's incompatible with current spring in its update package.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Ralith can you add it to the bug tracker?

Return to “Help & Bugs”