Work for Me for Free!!! - Page 4

Work for Me for Free!!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Work for Me for Free!!!

Post by PicassoCT »

And in Offtropic, the djungel still belongs to the trollz!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Beherith wrote:
TradeMark wrote:why isnt this topic locked yet because of excessive offtopic? oh wait, a moderator owns this topic.
Because -now this might come as a shocker to you so brace yourself- its posted in off topic.
eh... so if i post something in linux forum, you guys can talk anything about linux there in my topic just because the forum name is linux? :|
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

yeeeeesss, have i mentioned my featherryfetish before, inflamed by the pinguin that is your mascott? Walk this way, cute little, social akward animal!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

great, so i bought new furry socks today... what do you think of red? is it manly color for my socks?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Also, since this is a moderators thread, if he feels there is too much OT in it, he can just lock/delete stuff himself, no? On the other hand, your trying backseat moderation...
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am still not seeing how you, sinbad, deserve the efforts of other people when there are many other projects who have had much more work put into them. It seems a little bit dismissive when you consider all the other projects that are scraping for every bit of help that they can get and have already put a great deal of effort forth.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

turn free to $$$ you may have something here...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:I am still not seeing how you, sinbad, deserve the efforts of other people when there are many other projects who have had much more work put into them. It seems a little bit dismissive when you consider all the other projects that are scraping for every bit of help that they can get and have already put a great deal of effort forth.
I don't "deserve" their effort, I am looking for like minded individuals who wish to join me in the experiment and offering my services as manager...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

what services you offer

"manager" lol, you just wanna be a boss
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

the awesome part of this thread, is that you dont actually say what you need people to do...

and just my opinion... if you have motivation issues, dont you think that would work against being a good project manager? if anything, i would say that you need to sign onto someone elses project so that they can keep you motivated and productive.

would you like to work for me? for free?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

would you like to clean all this snow out of my door for free? I am looking for like minded individuals who wish to join me in the experiment and offering my services as manager of the snow shoveling.

:regret:
smoth

Post by smoth »

I guess that is my real issue... he wants the following:

+ To do nothing beyond tell others what to do.

+ Others of likeminded(also want to be the boss) nature...

He also states the following:

* He has a difficulty sticking to a task

* Wants others to volunteer inordinate amounts of time towards what he wants.

* intends to only be the idea guy.

where is there any equivalent trade? Like I said, why should those people help you and not a project like say starwars or s44? What do you really have to offer? You are going to be unreliable, what makes them think you are going to even stay with the project and not bail on them?

Your work experience you list doing support? I did that in highschool. I was also an intern later at that company for like 3 years afterwards doing programing work. You have some introductory level cs programming, ok that is kinda good. You have some experience doing web development(probably the only relevant thing in your skill list). None of your experience places you in a leadership role or even in a real project role where people are to put trust in you to complete a given task.

I could really do the whole epeen comparison thing and compared to you I have a whale dick. That being said, I don't see myself as an ideal team lead even though I can boast proir experience leading projects and of the projects I lead in college 2/3 were so above the marks the professor took me out of the curve. Even with this, I do not have the arrogance to ask others to work while I sit around and tell them "good job" etc.

that isn't what a good competent team lead does.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

so it was said over 4 pages, now back to the family buisness - wich includes that sinbad did things for spring, maps, features and stuff, as far as i remember.

My little hint, board a mod that is moast likely to resemble in the endresults your dreamgame, push hard work in, make yourself undispensable, slowly push the games/mods direction into your direction + become heart/soulsecretary of the team (most people dont want that managerjob, because it is only creative till feature freeze & volunteers leave it, when you try to overforce them into your great 4 years plan.

I stayed at mapping, was happily ever after, realizing that i dont have to spend sleepless nights over excellsheeds of unitbalancepoints.

Now lets count the Modmakers up:
Smoth
Fanger
Cadyr
ARGH
FORBs
Warlord

Difficult Characters? Not in my One-Man-Team, with Outsourced-Modell&Mapdelivery.
Well working teams are seldom, although they can accomplish big things.
Why doesent someone of thoose 3 - 4 Spring-teams poast in here, why and how there team worked, and most important what keeps them together and contributing. Time to reveal the secret-recipe!

The time were i teamworked, i got the impression that thoose who did the work had the word, moast of the time two or three people, lets call them the core. Some others contributed, some just dragged along, fanboing, thats it.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

smoth wrote:I guess that is my real issue... he wants the following:

+ To do nothing beyond tell others what to do.

+ Others of likeminded(also want to be the boss) nature...

He also states the following:

* He has a difficulty sticking to a task

* Wants others to volunteer inordinate amounts of time towards what he wants.

* intends to only be the idea guy.

where is there any equivalent trade? Like I said, why should those people help you and not a project like say starwars or s44? What do you really have to offer? You are going to be unreliable, what makes them think you are going to even stay with the project and not bail on them?

Your work experience you list doing support? I did that in highschool. I was also an intern later at that company for like 3 years afterwards doing programing work. You have some introductory level cs programming, ok that is kinda good. You have some experience doing web development(probably the only relevant thing in your skill list). None of your experience places you in a leadership role or even in a real project role where people are to put trust in you to complete a given task.

I could really do the whole epeen comparison thing and compared to you I have a whale dick. That being said, I don't see myself as an ideal team lead even though I can boast proir experience leading projects and of the projects I lead in college 2/3 were so above the marks the professor took me out of the curve. Even with this, I do not have the arrogance to ask others to work while I sit around and tell them "good job" etc.

that isn't what a good competent team lead does.
I never said I wouldn't do any work.
I never said I would be telling people what to do.
I purposefully mentioned that I wanted people to suggest THEIR ideas for us to work on.
I have no intention of stealing people from existing Spring projects, I highly doubt they would be interested anyways seeing as they are already working on something.

I am perfectly capable of doing my job as a Web/Database Developer/Programmer because I have set hours, dead-lines, set specification documents and well defined roles... as such I am simply trying to artificially duplicate this environment to help me focus my attention on one hobby project long enough to complete it.

It's like you completely took what I said and understood the exact opposite of what I was trying to say... awesome.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I got much the same impression as Smoth from your posts.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Huh... apparently I am incapable of communicating effectively... awesome.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

what happens when the project is finished? you take the money?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TradeMark wrote:what happens when the project is finished? you take the money?
What money?
knorke

Post by knorke »

oh the thread was serious lol.
I AM NEVER GONNA WORK ANOTHER DAY IN MY LIFE
I AM WAY TOO BUSY POWER TRIPPING YEEEEEAH

But seeing as you seem to be good at webstuff, why dont you join the ca team with planetwars or this quickmatch gamefinder thing?
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

this is the worst place to look for teammembers. spring players are notorious for being loners.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”