Work for Me for Free!!!

Work for Me for Free!!!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Work for Me for Free!!!

Post by SinbadEV »

So, I am a very peculiar personality combination... I am a visionary in that I am creative and can see solutions and innovation opportunities but I am also a details person when it comes to the minutia of these ideas... what I really tend to think of as my best feature is my ability to learn and work through new ideas, concepts and tools and, more so, to see new ideas within the confines of existing systems...

Unfortunately this collection of positives is coupled with a severe lack of motivation and a very limited attention span... I've posted on this topic in the past and while some fail to agree that "lack of motivation" is anything other then an excuse, it has been my experience that it counts as a disability whose escape is self-preventing (how can I work to fix my lack of motivation if I am unmotivated to do so)...

My life has worked out quite well so far with me putting very little effort into it but I have all these pesky dreams and no way that I can perceive to achieve them.

So, After all that garbage I should have managed to scare of the majority of the people who I DON'T expect to be interested in my idea and probably given a good portion of the forums denizens ample fodder for abuse... fortunately I'm a moderator, so if you derail my thread I am personally capable of splitting it off into another thread, deleting it or banning you... so feel free to react in whatever way you feel is appropriate... so there :P

Anyways, to the "core" of what I'm looking for:

I have always wanted to be involved in designing and producing video games which I can enjoy and share with the world... as of right now I am employed full time as a Programmer so the best way for me to do so would be to simply design and program a video game myself, share it with the world and be happy... but unfortunately that's not how I work.

First of all, I have never really started and finished a program from design to finished product (even professionally), with the exception of things that are under a couple hundred lines of code... even professionally I have only really worked on existing design documents and existing projects where I'm working on a small piece of the whole...

Second of all I lack the personal motivation to complete projects once they reach a level of complexity that exceeds my ability to conceive of the entire program as a single entity... for example I built a pac-man clone game that I stopped between figuring out dot collision and ghost collision... and then later programmed it again from scratch, and because I had thought I had learned my lesson the first time build a highly object oriented model of the game with an integrated editor and stopped when I had finished the editor before programing any of the unit behavior code...

So... basically what I am thinking is that I might not be capable of making a game on my own... but I have experience working in a team environment and together completing a project.

Man... my motivation already waning... grrr...

SO, the idea would be to get together a team of, let's say, about 3-5 people... I would be the project lead, there would be a certain amount of time each of us would need to work and there would be tasks and deadlines and all the stuff you'd expect from a real job... we would all have each others email/IM/Skype information so we'd be able to fine each other and keep each other accountable to the project... the first project would be tiny... small enough for the team to finish in under 3 months from design to completion to testing to alpha to beta to release... REALLY TINY... okay.

I have a number of ideas already in my head and I will gladly share them with people who are interested in joining me on this venture and I am open to your ideas too... initial discussion can happen here but when we get a team together I'd like to move on to google-wave or something similar.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Work for Me for Free!!!

Post by Neddie »

Running on Spring, or...
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

oh yeah... this would NOT be a spring game, this would be an independent project...
edit: though if that's the only thing I can get interest in I suppose it would be an option... but I'm not a 3D artist or Lua programmer so a project like that would not really be something I could contribute to without first spending ample time learning new skills...
smoth

Post by smoth »

-_-

do not know if want to troll...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Bruce maybe? He has some programming skills IIRC...

So, after re-reading that, I have to ask, what skills do you yourself bring to a project? Preferably things that are demonstrable.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

SinbadEV wrote:I would be the project lead
fuck you, i want to be the lead.

so youre a guy who knows nothing about nothing and wants to be the boss... okay... yet another power tripping noob.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SinbadEV wrote:So, I am a very peculiar personality combination... I am a visionary in that I am creative and can see solutions and innovation opportunities
Everybody can get shitty ideas like "Let's make a Rogue game only prettier!" This is not a skill.
SinbadEV wrote:fortunately I'm a moderator, so if you derail my thread I am personally capable of splitting it off into another thread, deleting it or banning you...
Can't stand the harshness of the truth so have to kill everybody who utters it?
SinbadEV wrote:I have always wanted to be involved in designing and producing video games which I can enjoy and share with the world...
About everyone who played lots of video games wish one was made with his ideas. Again, you are nothing special.
SinbadEV wrote:as of right now I am employed full time as a Programmer [...] for example I built a pac-man clone game that I stopped between figuring out dot collision and ghost collision... and then later programmed it again from scratch, and because I had thought I had learned my lesson the first time build a highly object oriented model of the game with an integrated editor and stopped when I had finished the editor before programing any of the unit behavior code...
Uh, so you're a paid programmer, yet tried and failed twice to program Pacman? I had never heard of someone so incompetent. I mean c'mon, Pacman? :lol:
SinbadEV wrote:I would be the project lead
In the corporate world you can be a lead just because someone appointed you. But in the free world of hobbyist, the lead is the one who does the most work. Can't work anyway else.
SinbadEV wrote:there would be tasks and deadlines and all the stuff you'd expect from a real job...
You keep admiting you have zero motivation yourself, yet expect other people to freely work for you in such a constrained way?

I've you're serious about making game, stop writing about your fantasies, and go write one yourself. Since even Pacman is apparently too hard for you (lololol, and you've got a job as a programmer?), start with Pong: I don't know any simpler game.

No more forum posting until you got your homework done!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

zwzsg wrote:In the corporate world you can be a lead just because someone appointed you. But in the free world of hobbyist, the lead is the one who does the most work. Can't work anyway else.
Never heard of a texturer being project lead tbh
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Caydr wrote:
zwzsg wrote:In the corporate world you can be a lead just because someone appointed you. But in the free world of hobbyist, the lead is the one who does the most work. Can't work anyway else.
Mostly because they no longer texture when they're project lead.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

I NEED A JOB
oh wait u said free fuck
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

neddiedrow wrote:
Caydr wrote:
Mostly because they no longer texture when they're project lead.
Then there's clearly nothing wrong with Sinbad being a project lead.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The easiest way to prepare to produce something if you lack the motivation to do it all alone is to work on some other projects as a subordinate. Either you wash out, develop the drive to do everything yourself, or develop the contacts necessary to form a team.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Surprisingly insightful. Do you have any advice for people who can't get a girl? If it involves forming a team, you can keep it to yourself though.
Regret

Post by Regret »

If you're sincerely trying to get some help then you are just plain DOING IT WRONG.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

May I recommend creating some smurf accounts and having them "join" your project? Create some hollow buzz, the Mac people will be all over you.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

[not cool] Beherith
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Caydr wrote:May I recommend creating some smurf accounts and having them "join" your project? Create some hollow buzz, the Mac people will be all over you.
May I recommend stealing existing code, making it a proprietry, poorly documented bug-fest and charging ludicrous amounts of money to become a "Certified SinbadEV Partner".

Microsoft fanbois will join your project en-masse.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Caydr wrote:Surprisingly insightful. Do you have any advice for people who can't get a girl? If it involves forming a team, you can keep it to yourself though.
It shouldn't surprise you.

You get a girl by being approachable, interesting, and not spending your time "looking" for a girl. This means you should hold yourself to a moderately high standard of personal hygiene, involve yourself in social situations, and exhibit some confidence in who you are.

You don't need to be passive, but if you are, that won't necessarily disqualify you. If everybody was aggressive few relationships would remain stable. If you do find somebody who interests you, who seems interested in you, conversation should lead you forward, regardless of whether you are passive or aggressive.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

why get a girl if you can get a robowhore?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4-rwk44qGI

this is the newest new.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Stop mocking me, you damned Finnish love machine.

Edit: that was directed at Ruined-My-Childhood up there with the crabs, not you TM. Though comparing the two posts now and realizing you're apparently both from Finland, you can consider this to be directed at both of you.
Last edited by Caydr on 11 Jan 2010, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”