roflwhalers

roflwhalers

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

roflwhalers

Post by Caydr »

knorke

Re: roflwhalers

Post by knorke »

wat?
http://www.wdcs.co.uk/media/flash/whale ... ub_en.html
whales are fucking cool, being like huge and stuff!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

they should hunt wales on the intertubes, there are alot of them
Regret

Post by Regret »

Caydr wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXCR9LX ... div-r-2-HM

Take that, treehugging douchebags.
In my eyes, douchebag is you.

I hope those whalers get to pay lots for damages caused to the boat. Bunch of losers. :regret:
smoth

Post by smoth »

fucking whalers... one of the few reasons that I have to cringe at japan.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Haha, that boat was worth about 2 million dollars and they decided to park in front of the whalers. I don't care what other issues were at stake, the guy in charge of that batmobile thing was a moron.

Watch some of the other videos. He harasses the whaling boat like a gnat trying to slow down a hippo, then for whatever reason decides that physics is on the side of justice and thinks that the hugeass boat is going to just lay on the brakes.

Regardless of any other considerations, a bunch of hippies in a $2,000,000 hot rod stealth boat can't deny the fact that they had their heads up their ass if they managed to get run over by a giant whaling boat that's not capable of moving or maneuvering at a fraction of their speed.

It's like some guy on a motorcycle playing chicken with a barn.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

Good riddance. Seriously what good were the protesters in that pimped out batboat doing or plan to do? Major plan to stop whalers by parking in front of them? Giving them speeches on the sea in a language most of the whalers probably don't even understand? And is that a pirate flag they are flying there?

I say the whalers did the right thing. Humiliate the posers by giving them a taste of the water cannon, ruin their boat and then humiliate them some more.

I have nothing against whales but these guys are serious douchebags.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

its like greenpeace was using gold chains to protect trees... 2mln wtf bs
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

This is one of those "both sides are wrong" things - yes, the Japanese are asinine for defending illegal commercial whaling as "research", but on the other hand the protetors are completely to blame for this collision. It was an attempt to block the path of the ship, and they actually moved into its path when it looked like it was going to go around them. It's like a Porsche 911 being run over space shuttle mobile launch platform.

Antarctic waters are extremely dangerous, and so those kinds of actions are irresponsible in the extreme.

/disclaimer: my brother lives in Inuit country, and has eaten whale and whatnot. Says it's good.
Argh

Post by Argh »

IDK. Watched both the Japanese and the whale-huggers' videos. Seems to me that:

1. Whaling ship turned to starboard at the last moment- not away, but towards the whale-huggers.

2. Whaling ship's crew was attacking the huggers' boat with water cannon and the sound-blaster (which the videos can't really convey well- those things are kinda disorienting)... and clearly kept attacking them after they'd rammed them.

On balance, the actual incident looks mainly like the whaler's bad.

The Ady Gil was not making significant wake- what little we can see is probably just drift until the very end, where it looks like the captain floored it. And the fact that the whaler's crew member wanted to film it all, even though this had been going on for awhile, strongly suggests that the crew expected something significant to happen- I mean, on a ship that size, stuff like the stinkbombs and laser they were using to dazzle the crew must have been trivial most of the time.

All that said, the Ady Gil's merry band was doing fun stuff over the last few days, like trying to deliberately foul one of the whalers' props / rudder, throwing stinkbombs at them, and generally acting like assholes. I can't really feel a lot of sympathy for them.

Lastly the Ady Gil was so obviously unsuitable for Antarctic waters (I mean, c'mon, it'd have taken almost as much damage from a fairly small piece of ice at speed, it was built as a globe-trotting speedboat) that I'd have thought it was a stunt for insurance purposes... but nobody, even Lloyd's, would have insured those guys, surely.

Maybe the Ady Gil was an expensive, hard-to-maintain vessel, and they thought using it as a massive P.R. device (because surely a lot of people will see them as heroes and martyrs here, and donate to them) would be better for them financially than eventually having to put it to pasture?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

i am suprised they didnt gtfo in time but it looks like the whalers deliberately rammed them, not like they were trying to block the whalers.

all in all, we should finally tell the japs that it was cow and chicken that did it.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

If the whaling ship wasn't out killing endangered whales, the collision would never have happened. :roll:

Also, I agree with Knorke, Regret, and Smoth (especially Knorke :P ).

MidKnight Corporation is a member of the WAPCGDKTA (Whales Are Pretty Cool Guys, Don't Kill Them Alliance).

The company's official position on the subject of whaling is one of intense disapproval.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Pxtl wrote:the protetors are completely to blame for this collision. It was an attempt to block the path of the ship, and they actually moved into its path when it looked like it was going to go around them.
Should I report you to authorities for withholding crucial evidence or are you going to share where you are getting your omnipresent factual information?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Regret wrote:
Pxtl wrote:the protetors are completely to blame for this collision. It was an attempt to block the path of the ship, and they actually moved into its path when it looked like it was going to go around them.
Should I report you to authorities for withholding crucial evidence or are you going to share where you are getting your omnipresent factual information?
There's a longer video online that shows the protestors moving towards the ship. Can't find it.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

There's a ton of videos if you look. I saw a few of them, all I can say is, it's a miracle there wasn't a collision sooner.

What's the deal with the hippies and their "dazzler"? A laser like that could blind a guy. Do what you want to the boat, but attacking a guy's eyesight is just low. I strongly suspect that the water cannons didn't start firing until the treehuggers started playing foul, but I can't prove that obviously.

Remember that scene in Austin Powers where the guy gets run over by the steamroller? This was just a real-life reenactment, only at sea and without a convenient brake lever.

~~~~

I don't know enough about the issues involved, I'm not saying whaling is good or bad or that environmentalism is good or bad. I generally think that people getting in hysterics over killing animals is hypocritical and often silly, but that's as far as it goes. My beef is with the person that made the decision to play chicken with a newly-christened $2,000,000 boat.

~~~~

What I really love though, is the fact that the whalers went back and rescued them... can you imagine the awkward silence?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Someone really need to step in and make the Japanese stop eating endangered species... I don't really know WHO, and obviously Greenpeace don't seem to be the right people to do it... but it's a really douchey thing for them to keep doing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Caydr wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXCR9LX ... div-r-2-HM

Take that, treehugging douchebags.
Hahahaha, pwned!
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

SinbadEV wrote:Someone really need to step in and make the Japanese stop eating endangered species... I don't really know WHO, and obviously Greenpeace don't seem to be the right people to do it... but it's a really douchey thing for them to keep doing.
Ok, here's what they need to do. Buy some RPGs from former USSR countries or some of those African/Middle-Eastern warlords with the money normally allocated to $2,000,000 PR stunts. Blow a couple of holes in the whaler ships when they're nice and far from civilization, preferably someplace that will only force it to stop moving to avoid taking on water, without risking loss of life. They'll have to be towed back to drydock, a political shitstorm will ensue, the whaling will be set back by months or even years.

Do this a couple of times and the issue will reach enough ears and eyes that people will unwittingly become informed on the subject and whaling as it is currently done will be recognized as non-sustainable.

Or hey, even find some mothballed naval mines and leave them in the areas frequented by whalers. Nobody else goes that far south anyway. They'll only have to hit one once, and then it'll be months before they can do any real amount of proper minesweeping.

Corporate cloak and dagger stuff like this happens all the time... not usually involving RPGs I'd imagine, but attacks on corporate assets, etc...

... Is it good or bad when you're so tired that you unknowingly break a dozen lua functions in a script and have an even better effect than you intended in the first place? I'm going to bed.

BTW, I think I just advocated terrorism, I need to go buy some hemp clothing to reflect my new worldview.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”