X rain speed
X water color
X minimap
X start points
X tree textures
X gadget
x fix typemap
X tree rotation
X sunny mapoptions :) For those with weaker gpus.

http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2449

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: New map, Quoth V1

Post by Forboding Angel »

It's nice. My only real complaint is that I don't care for the darker colors. It seems really gloomy. But that's not particularly shocking coming from someone who likes real vibrant colors and stuff.

Oh I forgot to mention, I really like the way that you set up the trees and stuff. They look really great.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Nice!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Hmm you are right. I hate how maps I make at night look fine then but then turn to mush when i look at it the next day.

Johannes care to test this?
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I tested (was already going to without asking anyway :D), spotted 2 issues: the 2 mexes near southeast start are missing, and the western high cliff can be accessed by bots from 1 spot at south side.

Also personally I'd like if hovers could get in and out of the water everywhere, but thats up to you to decide.

Dunno about the texture, as long as I can see it properly even with los view its fine :D
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Not enough gloom yet:

Gota

Post by Gota »

Suggestion.
Make the water greenish/swampy so it looks more like the green land texture and add another,different texture for the tops of the hills.
I think the map will be more appealing visually like that and easier for the mind to remember if those hilltops stick out of the map.
Wisse

Post by Wisse »

Gota wrote:Suggestion.
...add another,different texture for the tops of the hills...
Snow!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The fog and rain help out the look a lot. And what gota said, water needs to be more pondy.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

looks like england :-)

neat fog, imma dl

im not sure (havnt got it yet) but it looks like the grass tex/lighting might be a bit dark. will post when tried
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

V1 doesnt have the fog etc yet, im uploading as I type.
Gota

Post by Gota »

might be a good idea to add updated screens.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Beherith wrote:Not enough gloom yet:
Wonderful shot. Your skybox creates a visual trick of seamless landscape. I love the dark green colored trees. However the other trees blend too much in to the texture. Texture is good, except that I don't like how cliffs look messy from near distance...

Btw. Whats wrong with the camera? Can't roam around with middle mouse button(wheel) anymore. This sucks!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

dont change a thing- its perfect.
Your skyboxx is superiror, it is really blending in, you cant tell where the map ends, a masterpiece
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

There is no skybox :) Besides the default spring clouds and the fog widget there is nothing. The cliffs you see in the distance are actually part of the map. They are unpassable and you cannot give orders on them (so air cant go around using them).

Also, the seemlessness is helped by the sky color matching the spring fog color, and with a low fogstart they blend well. The glsl fog does seem a tad bit out of color though, but if I make it any darker, it will look much uglier.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

no shit? So you managed to make part of the map as background? Guess ill copy that trick one day.. its pretty, so much stands
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

All you have to do is specify a typemap with all 0s, so that units that get bumped on it get pushed back by the engine, and you have to use the gadget that included in the map. The gagdet disallows giving all orders on the specified areas of the maps.

Editing the gadget to allow for any shape is extremely simple, just take a look at it. Of course thanks goes to BrainDamage for making the gadget :)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

genius! we can finally begin to move away from maps that are apparently a flat plane floating in space
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Hmm... This is really great thing! I checked your map and the lua code. I'm not familiar with the proper names for funcionts but couple things I'd like to see added there.

Atm. Its hard for a ordinary player to learn where he can move. Some visual effects should guide with this. Here is my suggestion:

1. Mousecursor remains the same while moving on the blocked area of the map. It should, at least, change to the same pointer as when moved outside of the map, to the water plane area. Best solution for this would be a mousecursor that indicates unpassable area by some kind of stop sign.

2. It could be great to have passable borders outlined when orders are given on blocked area. Like white lined border flashed for a second indicating what is the real playing area.

Maybe I should speak about this with Braindamage?

Return to “Map Releases”