Requesting map concepts

Requesting map concepts

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Requesting map concepts

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

If any non-mappers have a map concept they would like developed, I'm in the market for cool ideas atm

just post a heightmap sketch- a black and white image where white is maximum height a black is 0 height- and a short explanation
ralphie

Re: Requesting map concepts

Post by ralphie »

you should remake dsd
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

you're a funny guy
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i also badly require said concepts.

i've realized that although im fairly good at creating maps from an artistic standpoint, my maps arent really all that fun to play.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Dude if you wanna make some cool maps do you think you can make maps for 1v1v1 and 5 way ffa?
Im talking about something classy,no gimmicks,no crazy stuff just decent looking decent playing maps.
3 and 5 way good FFA maps are in shortage.
I mean the most played 5 way ffa maps are Azure and Star.
Azure is ugly as hell and old and star is just not good.

I was thinking about making some but instead im busy with remaking some old ones i made,and a metal map.

Good 3 way and 5 way maps are hard to make for several reasons but if you can pull it oof be sure they will get played.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

use ansiks idea of a nice 3-ffa-map, he said he got some problems with the final version, but we played some games on a beta and it was quiet fun

edit:

name was something with snow...

i added a crappy heighmap, so u see, that there are 3 ramps (one for each player) at the highest point u got some space for windfarms and in the middle was crater. the problem of the map was to find the correct heigh of the ramps, so it wouldnt end in a porcing hell
Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Gota

Post by Gota »

Here is a very rough concept for a 1v1.
This is a 8x8 map.
The hills are unpassable,even with all terrain.
The metal layout should be medium low-low.
There should be some trees/alien trees and some features scattered in an aesthetic looking way on both sides.
each tree or feature should be high e but low M.
So not many features but each should give out a lot of E.
1 geo on each side.

And there should be some metal in the middle but not too much.I'd say EDIT: 1/3 /EDIT of the metal on each side.

A very simple concept but that is it's beauty.
If the texture is calm and nice looking this would be an interesting 1v1 map to play.
Its kind of like a porcy low metal high E version of small devide.

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

symmetrie saves- you can do nothing wrong if you mirror it twice.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

a good 1v1v1 must have almost ALL the metal in conflict, otherwise players avoid combat
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

neddies mapconcept is kind of cool, if only we could make the frozzen lake slippery and the ice cracking under to heavy of weight and artillery
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

2nd Edit: moved request to more appropriate place (own thread)
Last edited by SeanHeron on 04 Jan 2010, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

PicassoCT wrote:neddies mapconcept is kind of cool, if only we could make the frozzen lake slippery and the ice cracking under to heavy of weight and artillery
Yeah, I didn't make it because of the limitations on texturing (Reflections/Specularity, not to mention low resolution) and the impossibility of cracking/refreezing.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

neddiedrow wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:neddies mapconcept is kind of cool, if only we could make the frozzen lake slippery and the ice cracking under to heavy of weight and artillery
Yeah, I didn't make it because of the limitations on texturing (Reflections/Specularity, not to mention low resolution) and the impossibility of cracking/refreezing.
texture limits arent that hard on me - i just bake everything in, so as long as you dont mind the ice not mirroring anything moar than the skybox that is no showstopper. What really sucks is the freezing part, although, if we could get it really easy to deform, and really acid water, and a widget that slowly resets the landscape... welll we could do it, just would be beautifull..

This is a texturing sample of VertigoThanatos, unprocessed, uncoloured, unshooped and with no real reflection rendering applied..
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I made a sketch, bit different(porcy?) 1v1 map. Black is water, next color is fords. Tanks pass 1 gradient change, bots/hovers pass 2. Or some bot hills might not be for hovers. White hills allterrain only.

Few mexes in middle, to get more incentive to go to the corners fast. Otherwise not sure about mex layout, stuff can change

Some possible changes:
Extend water to north and east
Remove mid lake
Change mid lake to bot passable hill

12x12 probably would be best

Mex value ~2, decent wind and decent/low tidals maybe

If someone wants more thoughts on the concept, ask :D
Attachments
sketch.jpg
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

hmmp, well, my current project is suffering from a lack of interesting heightmap

im going to screw around with its heightmap on paint and get back to you guys in a day or two
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:If any non-mappers have a map concept they would like developed, I'm in the market for cool ideas atm

just post a heightmap sketch- a black and white image where white is maximum height a black is 0 height- and a short explanation
FFA is sorely lacking. Please make 4way, 5way, 6way, 7way, 8way and 9way maps. The more the better. Why do I ask this? Because having this wide selection makes it convenient to start games no matter how many players you have in your battle. If one suddenly leaves or two suddenly join, you'll be set.
knorke

Post by knorke »

remake this: http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=468
with a nicer texture.
but keep the trees, its one of the few maps where they actually make sense.

Return to “Map Creation”