Mirror's Edge

Mirror's Edge

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Mirror's Edge

Post by Jazcash »

Out of all the games I got for Xmas, I was most impressed graphically by Mirror's Edge. And I got Crysis Maximum pack, Farcry 2 and a bunch of other awesome games for Xmas, but Mirror's Edge was just win.

It's been out a while, but I heard some good stuff about it and it looked similar to portal which I loved to bought this too. It's so nice to look at.

Portal was the same graphically. With the base colour for all buildings and surfaces as greyscale with certain objects and surfaces a strong bright vibrant colour. It works so well and the textures couldn't get much simpler tbh. They haven't paid great attention to detail in texturing which is what makes it so sexy. There's no little grainy surfaces, small markings or anything to spoil to sex of a nice smooth colour.

Seriously, I could look at this for more than I could with Crysis Warhead or anything else realistically smexy. Don't get me wrong, Crysis is the best graphical game in terms of realism I've ever played and it's effects are top of the top. But Mirror's Edge has some quality about it which just makes my insides tickle.

I get the same feeling with certain web designs too, I just "jizz in mai pants" when I see something so simple yet so sexy. Simple IS sexy.
Jazcash

Re: Mirror's Edge

Post by Jazcash »

Aww, I just finished the story. Was fun anyways.

It took me about half an hour to figure out why the game went to 1-5 FPS every time I got into a fight. Turned down all the sliders to lowest, still 1-5 FPS. Then I realised it was slowing down when glass shattered which then alerted me that it must be PhysX. Turned it off and no slow downs with everything else set to highest ¬_¬ Seriously, I have a 4*3.2 GHz processor, a nice Radeon 4800 1GB and 8 Rams yet I can't run PhysX properly. Pretty sure this is a fault on NVIDIA's part here...

Just took a bunch of screenies myself:
(Can only upload 3 :<)

That's another thing that makes it pretty. No HUD! Just 100% sex.
Attachments
ScreenShot00008.png
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
ScreenShot00003.png
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
ScreenShot00000.png
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

so where's everyone else? its not some daytime-tv interior design makeover game is it?
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Mirror's Edge is great. I also just got it and am really liking it.

Some points:
- Like you, I saw the resemblance to Portal

- I think the ME engine could be used for so much more! give it a nicer combat system and add more content and you have a sweet game right there.

- I want multiplayer high speed city-top deathmatch. *drools*

- this game's greatest point is the engine. The textures are uber-minimalistic, but the way they're done is amazing. For once, carpet actually looks like it feels soft, and the concrete is amazingly concrete-y.

- maackey and I both had the slowdowns, too, Jaz. It's because Mirror's Edge has certain features (like uber-realistic glass shatters) that take advantage of the PhysX technology NVidia acquired and is implementing in their newer cards. As an ATi card owner, I am pissed. :(

- I wish there were more combat stages. I got a kick out of luring the blues, one by one, into a corner, knocking them unconscious, and stealing their weapons.

- This game also explained to me why there are so few happy, bright levels and so many dark, gloomy levels in videogames: after a few hours, my eyes lost their ability to focus, and I could barely read for the rest of that day because of the strain. :P

Mirror's edge is worth more than the $5 I paid for it. You can get it on Steam for $20 right now (but the price will probably go back down to $5 sometime soon) and I do recommend this game for anyone who liked portal.

PS: Jaz: put a mirror's edge logo/box art pic at the top of your first post. :P
maackey

Post by maackey »

- maackey and I both had the slowdowns, too, Jaz. It's because Mirror's Edge has certain features (like uber-realistic glass shatters) that take advantage of the PhysX technology NVidia acquired and is implementing in their newer cards. As an ATi card owner, I am pissed. :(
It has nothing to do with ati (i don't think). I have a nvidia 9800 and it still works like crap with physx on. Its completely useless imo. The glass looked exactly the same in the comparison videos, the only thing different was the ripping/waving cellophane and cloth materials. They add nothing to the game; just slow it down.

I haven't finished it yet, I've been gone most of christmas; but I don't particularly care for the white+bloom. It is very hard on the eyes. The super-saturated colors do give it a bit of artistic edge (durr hurr), which imo went a little over the top at times (i mean, comon... why do we need cartoons when the actual in-game characters look *MUCH* better than cell shaded cartoons)

Anyway, its reasonably fun. I'm still really bad at combat, apparently I cannot ever time the weapon hits correctly, and have a hard time just standing there while I get shot waiting for them to swing at me. I don't think i've played it enough to find any alternate routes, but the levels do seem a bit linear. The rooftops might have a few different ways to get somewhere, but all in all, you're not given much choice.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

PhysX only really works properly on recent Gforce video cards as I understand it.
aegis

Post by aegis »

don't be mad at nvidia or the game developers because you have an ati card.
it works perfectly on newer (8000-series or newer cards), especially with a gtx 260 or dedicated card for physx.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Mirror's Edge is a spectator game, I enjoyed watching it, but don't see anything in there to play.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

aegis wrote:don't be mad at nvidia or the game developers because you have an ati card.
it works perfectly on newer (8000-series or newer cards), especially with a gtx 260 or dedicated card for physx.
I wouldn't mind if PhysX wasn't enabled by default.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Looks like you'll be parkouring in a world completely designed by IKEA.
aegis

Post by aegis »

JAZCASH wrote:
aegis wrote:don't be mad at nvidia or the game developers because you have an ati card.
I wouldn't mind if PhysX wasn't enabled by default.
it wasn't for me - mirror's edge even suggested I not enable it when I tried because it didn't detect my physx card
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Well the auto detect settings should have at least warned me or any user, that PhysX may cause some serious component pwnage.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

nice game... i love to look at walls too. especially to talk to them.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

My girlfriend gave it to me the week it came out, by the time she left my house, i had already completed it.

It has NO replay value, and becomes samey half way through, plot is so obvious i worked it out from like 20 mins of playing.

It was that bad i was tempted to return it.

I had been waiting for this game for so long, and it really didnt deliver for me :(
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

couldn't you just wander round admiring the interior design like everyone else?
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

momfreeek wrote:couldn't you just wander round admiring the interior design like everyone else?
Everything is either white, red orange or some other hue bold colour.

I mean i can see that people who like MAC will love this type of game, but really would have preferred to be able to Pakour freely, and not have to go in a straight line like the game funnels you.

It defies the entire concept really, i wouldn't have minded it to come out maybe this year or the next if it was open world, and not just go from point A to point D on the way, you might think that B and C look different, but there just two strips running parallel.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
momfreeek wrote:couldn't you just wander round admiring the interior design like everyone else?
Everything is either white, red orange or some other hue bold colour.

I mean i can see that people who like MAC will love this type of game, but really would have preferred to be able to Pakour freely, and not have to go in a straight line like the game funnels you.

It defies the entire concept really, i wouldn't have minded it to come out maybe this year or the next if it was open world, and not just go from point A to point D on the way, you might think that B and C look different, but there just two strips running parallel.
Basically what you had in assasin's creed.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Yeh, the gameplay wasn't great. But I think the more arty you are the more you'd like it.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

how many iphones jaz has?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

TradeMark wrote:how many iphones jaz has?
I don't buy any Apple products and never will. Unless it's forced upon me D:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”