Problem with model ( 56K Warning)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

daryl

Post by daryl »

Hi all!!
I followed some SPRING tutorial but i can't see my model during the game!!

i simple "modeled", in Blender, a cube with UV map and i exported it as cube.obj file with "UV" option enabled

i painted 4 textures:
Texture 1 Texture and Team color

Team color-the alpha channel

Texture 2 Reflectivity and Illumination

Illumination red-channel

I Imported the cube.obj as a object into the UPSRPRING and i generated the two DDS textures with S3O Texture Builder included into the UPSPRING program
And i texturized my cube, you can see the two screen:

Basic View:

and full view ( reflective, teamcolor etc)

I created the simple cube.fbi with "Object= cube.s3o;" string ( and other) and I copied the two DDS files (named tex1.dds and tex2.dds) into the Unittextures directory.

this is the result:

I can't see the cube!! what I wrong? Can You help me please??
Thx
Das Bruce

Re: Problem with model ( 56K Warning)

Post by Das Bruce »

Must have height and hitsphere. Check the other tabs in UpSpring.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Das Bruce wrote:Must have height and hitsphere. Check the other tabs in UpSpring.

ok i set height and hitsphere, now i have this result:

the cube is rendered into the game but withouth textures.
why??
Argh

Post by Argh »

The textures must be in the unittextures/ path, and you must save the model, with the named textures being displayed in UpSpring. There is a feature in UpSpring to set the default texture directory; it is usually wise to set that to your /unittextures directory before working with any models, to avoid accidentally saving a model sans textures.

Lastly, don't use the UpSpring texture builder- IDK for sure, but I was fairly certain that never worked right. Use GIMP or Photoshop or The Compressionator or (there are a lot of available tools) to build DDS files. All you need to do is work with the channels:

Alpha channel for texture1 == teamcolor "intensity".

Red channel for texture2 == glow "intensity".
Green channel for texture2 == reflectivity / specularity "intensity"
alpha channel for texture2 == simple transparency (i.e., black == transparent, white == solid).
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

You don't want to set reflectivity too high. If you do, you may get a mirror as a texture. Perhaps give it a reflectivity value of 70, 30, 0?
daryl

Post by daryl »

MidKnight wrote:You don't want to set reflectivity too high. If you do, you may get a mirror as a texture. Perhaps give it a reflectivity value of 70, 30, 0?
uff i don't know how use better the alpha channel for this application :cry:
i tried to use some trasparences but i had the same problem...
Texture 1 work fine but texture 2 no!!... :evil:
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Do you have "Reflective Units" enabled in springsettings.exe?
daryl

Post by daryl »

Gnome wrote:Do you have "Reflective Units" enabled in springsettings.exe?
no! i don't have this option enabled. But this don't change visual status! i already tried.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

didn't read thread, but I used to get invisible units and turning up the LOS distance fixed it.
Argh

Post by Argh »

uff i don't know how use better the alpha channel for this application
Don't use UpSpring to build the textures. An alpha channel is just an alpha channel. All UpSpring is trying to do is ask you for a grayscale, and build the final DDS. If anything, that's an incredibly confusing way to build a texture, and it's totally unlike anything you'd do in Photoshop or GIMP.

You really should use an application that is designed for manipulating channels separately, because texture2 really requires correct control over the final RGB values.

Use the GIMP. It's free, and there is a DDS plugin for it, and it allows you to manipulate all four channels (RGBA).

Or, since you're just trying to get a model working for the first time, just omit tex2, because it's not mandatory, and make sure that tex1 is working right.

My guess is that tex1 is screwed up, because UpSpring isn't building all of the mips into the DDS being used, but there could be other issues. If you're still stuck after you've read all this, post your model and the texture, and I will walk you through the process of fixing it. It may involve tools you don't have, but that is tough- you should not be putting together skins with Paint, you need to get very familiar with a decent piece of software if you want to do this.

I can't emphasize enough, though, that you do not want to use UpSpring. I'd forgotten it had that feature, so far as I know, it doesn't work, and it's really scary that we still have a PDF manual for that application that suggests using that method.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Argh wrote:
uff i don't know how use better the alpha channel for this application
Don't use UpSpring to build the textures. An alpha channel is just an alpha channel. All UpSpring is trying to do is ask you for a grayscale, and build the final DDS. If anything, that's an incredibly confusing way to build a texture, and it's totally unlike anything you'd do in Photoshop or GIMP.

You really should use an application that is designed for manipulating channels separately, because texture2 really requires correct control over the final RGB values.

Use the GIMP. It's free, and there is a DDS plugin for it, and it allows you to manipulate all four channels (RGBA).

Or, since you're just trying to get a model working for the first time, just omit tex2, because it's not mandatory, and make sure that tex1 is working right.

My guess is that tex1 is screwed up, because UpSpring isn't building all of the mips into the DDS being used, but there could be other issues. If you're still stuck after you've read all this, post your model and the texture, and I will walk you through the process of fixing it. It may involve tools you don't have, but that is tough- you should not be putting together skins with Paint, you need to get very familiar with a decent piece of software if you want to do this.

I can't emphasize enough, though, that you do not want to use UpSpring. I'd forgotten it had that feature, so far as I know, it doesn't work, and it's really scary that we still have a PDF manual for that application that suggests using that method.
Ok but it isn't a problem for me, I can use old texture format ( face per face with .3do) :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

daryl wrote: Ok but it isn't a problem for me, I can use old texture format ( face per face with .3do) :-)
Don't.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

daryl wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:Must have height and hitsphere. Check the other tabs in UpSpring.

why??
Which app did you use to edit your DDS? I had this problem when saving the DDS with a certain compression setting that Spring didn't like but showed fine in Upspring. Try other compression settings.
daryl

Post by daryl »

CarRepairer wrote:
daryl wrote:

why??
Which app did you use to edit your DDS? I had this problem when saving the DDS with a certain compression setting that Spring didn't like but showed fine in Upspring. Try other compression settings.
i use gimp with his DDS plugin..
i usually use default compression settings, there are a lot of compressions...
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

daryl wrote:and full view ( reflective, teamcolor etc)

daryl wrote:Image
looks like you got exactly what you wanted as far as i can see.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Pressure Line wrote:
daryl wrote:and full view ( reflective, teamcolor etc)

daryl wrote:Image
looks like you got exactly what you wanted as far as i can see.
no..i want obtain textured cube..not grey cube!!
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

well it looks like you have done something horrendously wrong with your tex 2. delete the refence from the s3o, and see if it works fine without it.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Pressure Line wrote:well it looks like you have done something horrendously wrong with your tex 2. delete the refence from the s3o, and see if it works fine without it.
no... withouth texture 2 i don't see nothing!!.. only green square and unit player, the unit is invisible.

Don't worry..I can use 3do mode texturing! at the moment naturally! :lol: .
I hope there will be a better "s3o texture builder" as soon as possible... :)
or a best tutorial guide to know how to use right the aplha channel.
thx all!! see you soon!! :-)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

There are various threads on these issues in this forum.

Return to “Art & Modelling”