Translating the ingame user interface

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Deutscha

Post by Deutscha »

Hello,

i know that the lobbies can be translated into other languages than english.

But the ingame user interface is still in english and i think it's not very welcome to those who can not speak it very well :s

can you make it possible that the user interface (e.g. BA's) is going to can be translated into other languages?
JohannesH

Re: Translating the ingame user interface

Post by JohannesH »

It is possible.
Regret

Post by Regret »

It is possible to do, but not going to happen for BA anytime soon.
smoth

Post by smoth »

On a per project basis, you are not going to see that.

In the lobbies maybe.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

What would be awesome is a chat and ingame translator which if prompted, can tell you what those darn foreigners are bitching about!
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i can translate to spanish and italian, if anyone needs me to
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

I agree this will not happen anytime soon. And I think it is impossible to make a special mod version with a different language for sync reasons.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

zerver wrote:I agree this will not happen anytime soon. And I think it is impossible to make a special mod version with a different language for sync reasons.
You wouldn't need a special mod version, you could just make translation files with internal unitnames and translations of unit display names, descriptions, and of the UI elements, then just modify a UI widget like iceui or one of Regret's UIs to load strings from those translated files. None of it would break sync, though if it was done well enough, they'd probably include it in BA anyway.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i'm currently translating CA into spanish and italian by getting all the lua files of the units and adding description_it = [[...]], , helptext_it = [[...]], (i suppose you would call them elements) and such to the files.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

zerver wrote:I agree this will not happen anytime soon. And I think it is impossible to make a special mod version with a different language for sync reasons.
the mod could have a particular folder/file name format for translations marked by springignore.txt so it's ignored by crc checksum and lobby reports same checksum even if altered
and if by "breaking sync" you mean simulation sync, no, as long as those files/part of files are not used in a synced context, it won't
not to mention the mod unsynced part could also load from the user's data folders for additional files
I also recall trepan adding a translation infrastructure for LuaUI and an example widget, but I don't know if that is being used anywhere atm
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

There is, as Wartender stated, an active project going on to translate CA. Progress can be seen at this page: http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/Manual
Feel free to volunteer to help in #ca in the lobby or by posting in the Complete Annihilation subforum! :wink:
Yet another 'CA haz it' post complete. My work here is done.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

MidKnight wrote:There is, as Wartender stated, an active project going on to translate CA. Progress can be seen at this page: http://trac.caspring.org/wiki/Manual
Feel free to volunteer to help in #ca in the lobby or by posting in the Complete Annihilation subforum! :wink:
Yet another 'CA haz it' post complete. My work here is done.
Alos, these translations appear in the actual game where the player can set their language in the CA menu. Unit info (when space-clicking on units) as well as the tutorial are output in the desired language.

Attachments
Capture.JPG
(141.4 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i see accented vowels appear as question marks... should i take them all out or is there a way to fix that?
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Brain Damage wrote:and if by "breaking sync" you mean simulation sync
No, only lobby sync of course.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Wartender wrote:i see accented vowels appear as question marks... should i take them all out or is there a way to fix that?
No, don't take them out. I can always translate the accented letters in the widget, I just haven't done so. They show up fine on the website so we should keep them.

Return to “General Discussion”