RUSE RTS from Ubisoft

RUSE RTS from Ubisoft

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sheekel

RUSE RTS from Ubisoft

Post by Sheekel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XsAemi ... re=related

Anyone else playing in the beta? Thoughts?

They promised a game that wasnt a "click fest." I've found its quite the opposite, if you dont have supply depots and a factory/airfield up in the first minute, your opponent already has a significant lead on you.

The ruse aspect of the game is refreshing. They're similar to CO powers from Advance Wars only are suited to the WWII era.

As far as graphics go, the zoom engine is impressive. I like the way the battlefield is displayed on a table in a war-room when you zoom out, imo it would be a good way to hide the hideous map edges in Spring....LUA teim?
1v0ry_k1ng

Re: RUSE RTS from Ubisoft

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the game itself looks pretty arcade and limited, but I like the zoom out into command room yeah
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The battleroom thing is a nice idea, but seems to be just a well done skybox
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

I'm in the beta and I like the game quite a lot. Though micro and clicking still very important as you stated before. Another bad thing is that playing defensive is too rewarding :-/ You can win by porcing coz you get points for killed enemies. So its often AA + AT at start, tech to best arty and then the one with better arty spam wins. The ruses are pretty cool and I believe people haven't found out the best ways to use them yet. I'd really prefer to choose myself what units should come out when I use "decoy army". Also depending on the "time limit" the games tend to last soooooo long and you can't really do anything about it, unless your opponent gives up. Apart from that the game is a lot of fun :)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

i like the maps of this game, they are well done from what i see in vid
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

TheMightyOne wrote:I'm in the beta and I like the game quite a lot. Though micro and clicking still very important as you stated before. Another bad thing is that playing defensive is too rewarding :-/ You can win by porcing coz you get points for killed enemies. So its often AA + AT at start, tech to best arty and then the one with better arty spam wins. The ruses are pretty cool and I believe people haven't found out the best ways to use them yet. I'd really prefer to choose myself what units should come out when I use "decoy army". Also depending on the "time limit" the games tend to last soooooo long and you can't really do anything about it, unless your opponent gives up. Apart from that the game is a lot of fun :)
but this sounds terrible

where does the fun come in?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

"Ruse"? Have we used up all the good names and cool acronyms? Even "PURE" is better than that. Ruse. That just makes me sick. Hey Adam, wanna play RUSE? No Caydr, that would be embarassing, I think I'll just run through a mall naked save for a bra, after swimming in a cold lake.

That's worse than Absolute Annihilation. That's worse than Act of War: Direct Action. Or how about Sins of a Solar Empire? Where did they even come up with that? Pick a new name and make it something relevant to what you do in it or what it's about.

I'm not buying it just on principle.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

hehe this game looks adorable :3
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote: but this sounds terrible

where does the fun come in?
when your plans work out. when you hide your base with camouflage net rush to air and bomb the shit out of your opponent without you expecting anything like that. or you drop paratroopers all around his base capture his stuff and build some defense inside of it. when you send a decoy army to the left while your real army is invisible with radio silence and its going to the right flank and your opponent tries to stop the decoy army. or there is this heavy protected position of his with lots of AT stuff and you send your decoy army along with your real one. the AT guns use half of their shots to kill the decoys so your real army gets time to get closer and just roll over them. when you hide your inf in the woods or in the city then you lure enemy tanks close to it and they get 1 shot killed. there is much more of this kind of stuff. complicated plans you come up with get rewarded, yes micro is important still, but i think this game comes closest to what RTS is supposed to be with big scale battles on big maps where you have to use big plans :mrgreen:

@Caydr
this is also the reason why this game is called RUSE. you get this extra "tricks" you can use. like decoy army, radio silence (units in a sector become invisible), decoy base, blitz (units in a sector move faster) , horror (enemy units fail on moral faster), fanatism (your units wont retreat no matter what), spy (you see what enemy dots are, what kind of units), decypher (you see enemy move and attack orders).

ruse [ruːz]
n
an action intended to mislead, deceive, or trick; stratagem
[from Old French: trick, esp to evade capture, from ruser to retreat, from Latin recūsāre to refuse]
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i like the smear effect when moving around fast. i take it, that sort of thing is done with shaders? could it be done for spring, and how hard would it be?

Edit:
BrainDamage told me this is called Motion-Blur, and linked me to this:
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch27.html
he also mentioned that it would be little more work then copy paste from this page. in case someone cares enough :D ;-)
Last edited by hoijui on 23 Dec 2009, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I would very much like to try RUSE... If anyone can help me please pm me :)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

@Caydr
this is also the reason why this game is called RUSE. you get this extra "tricks" you can use. like decoy army, radio silence (units in a sector become invisible), decoy base, blitz (units in a sector move faster) , horror (enemy units fail on moral faster), fanatism (your units wont retreat no matter what), spy (you see what enemy dots are, what kind of units), decypher (you see enemy move and attack orders).

ruse [ruːz]
n
an action intended to mislead, deceive, or trick; stratagem
[from Old French: trick, esp to evade capture, from ruser to retreat, from Latin recūsāre to refuse]
I know what a ruse is, but it's olde english and not in use very much anymore.

It seems sad that a developer has to make an entire game around the idea of being able to trick your opponent, when back in 1997 we had an engine where most of those things were possible. What I'm trying to say is, games have gotten so dumbed down to appeal to the new generation of gamers that it's... well, you know what I'm talking about anyway.

Besides, just rhetoric until I squeeze out the next AA right, what do I know...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”