Whisper Mark Placing

Whisper Mark Placing

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Google_Frog

Whisper Mark Placing

Post by Google_Frog »

Basically whisper mode but for mark placing. This would send the mark to only 1 player. The main use for this would be in lua widgets, the widget could send the marker just to the player using the widget instead of spamming then entire team.
Zydox
Lobby Developer

Re: Whisper Mark Placing

Post by Zydox »

Wouldn't that just be a private marker, or should one be able to send it to just one user that's not oneself as well?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

There's an issue with temporary allies when using /ally command (known as ceasefires in CA) that your markers are shown to all those players when you might not want them to be. If I am ceasefired with player A and player B, and I fly over player A's base and I see a nuke and the nuke marker widget places a marker, player B will see that marker. Maybe it's not in my interest to tell player B certain things since he's not my permanent ally.

Edit: add a command or toggle that switches between "just ally" and "ally+temp ally." This toggle would affect both allychat (a:) and markers.
Jish

Post by Jish »

specs should be able to see them too
xyz

Post by xyz »

Or maybe just make the marks (and drawings) fade out, after a minute or so. In that case you don't have to clean them.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Or maybe we can stick to the original idea of having a marker only you and the player you whisper to can see. :roll:
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I still don't think it should be hidden from spectators.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

neddiedrow wrote:I still don't think it should be hidden from spectators.
What if i've written a lua that marks every unit that comes in my los, and i actually find it useful, where as spectators do not want the game spammed with my lua.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
What if i've written a lua that marks every unit that comes in my los, and i actually find it useful, where as spectators do not want the game spammed with my lua.
Then you make your lua place local points.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
I think the spectators should know that you use a gay widget.
Argh

Post by Argh »

First off, this seems like a Widget waiting to happen, personally- call it "Improved Communications", put various better ways to mark places into it. I'm sure that would be very popular. Heck, that would even allow for map-marks that can be seen by all teams, marks that can only be seen by spectators, etc.

I'm actually in favor of deprecating the map-mark and drawing system altogether. It makes me very uncomfortable to have anything remotely un-consensual that can be used to alter the graphical state, there are way too many ways to grief with it (drawings full of penii vs. dinosaurs is just the tip of the iceberg- test what happens if you force it to draw over the whole map, rapidly erase and repeat, heh).

I think that a Widget to handle this stuff is more appropriate, because it'll be easier to write security fixes and keep it maintained going forward. That, and players can just shut the whole thing off.

That said... I think the idea itself is a good one.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Argh wrote:That, and players can just shut the whole thing off.
They can do that now too.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that it might make more sense to make this a Widget, so that, amongst other things, people can control the max messages seen, graphical stuff could have a lot more useful variety (for example, a marker that literally looks like a targeting icon and ATTACK HERE PLZ in big glowing letters). Right now, most of that's fixed functionality... it'd be nice, imo, to make it a lot more useful out of the box.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I'm actually in favor of deprecating the map-mark and drawing system altogether.
How would you communicate when luaui crashes and takes the console with it?

Why remove a working feature? The only real improvement I can see is modside model changing for markers. Trolls are always going to troll with something, there's no point removing it based on it's trollablity.

I like using markers as a simple debug tool, no extra coding to setup. From that perspective it's like saying remove Echo because lua can replace it somehow.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Argh wrote:Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that it might make more sense to make this a Widget, so that, amongst other things, people can control the max messages seen, graphical stuff could have a lot more useful variety (for example, a marker that literally looks like a targeting icon and ATTACK HERE PLZ in big glowing letters). Right now, most of that's fixed functionality... it'd be nice, imo, to make it a lot more useful out of the box.
Go ahead and make the widget, you do not need to remove an engine feature to create it.
Argh

Post by Argh »

How would you communicate when luaui crashes and takes the console with it?
Well, that's a fair statement. I just can't remember the last time I saw that happen over here, tbh, with all the Widgets I've built for P.U.R.E.
Go ahead and make the widget, you do not need to remove an engine feature to create it.
That's absolutely right. I may get to it, but not before P.U.R.E. 1.3. It's something I think needs fixing, I'm just running against time atm.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
No i wrote that. Mine does more even, marking enemy units and allied/enemy features (such as corpses. "enemy commander wreckage" points are the most hilarious).

Return to “Feature Requests”